A bitter-sweet return to WoW

42 Human Hunter
Here's how the story goes: On July 25th I found out that in 2 months MoP was going to be released. However, on July 26th my account was to expire. It did. There was no nerd rage or frustration. No. I really enjoy WoW for the social aspect. The RNG of farming ore, herbs and killing mobs. I enjoy helping out new players with quests or sending them a /tell "Hey. You need some better gear. Follow me to the AH and I'll buy you some gear!" Sadly, my old computer was on its last leg and I needed a new computer to run MoP. On Sept 30th I resubbed and a lot has changed in those 2+ months!

Seven months prior to this post my grandma whom I have lived with since I was 3 (I'll be 33 on Oct 8th) was called at our home by the hospital that she needs to go to the ER A.S.A.P.! She had been sick for all of December and they told her that she needed to stay overnight, maybe two to get her numbers at a more stable level. When she told me this I think she knew that things weren't going to be the same. As-is when I was 19 she was diagnosed with emphysema. I knew if anything bad will come of this, it'll surely go for her lungs.

Here we are on Oct 3rd and she's now listed as DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) with hardly any memory left. Her lungs have been collapsing while on a ventilator (This was prior to the DNR consent from the family) and everyday is/has been a rollercoaster. I moved out of the house that I grew up in for 29+ years. And even though it was tough at times to live with grandma, (Because everyone wants to have their own first apartment) when she told me that she liked that I lived with her because it made her feel safe in her own home, I didn't have a problem being there.

I enjoyed showing her wow for some of the amazing lands, creatures and that she couldn't grasp that someone who was talking to me was a real life human being! Hehe. When I was unemployed back in 2009 I told her that I'm going to quit WoW for a bit to save the monthly fee. She made it very clear that she wants me to have that entertainment because it's a game that I truly enjoy and that she enjoys watching me play.

The whole point of this post is that this character "Lighthouse" will be leveled to 90 as a tribute to my grandma and a thank you to the WoW team for bring two people together with all of it's imagination. Also, the name Lighthouse is in reference to my grandma's love for Lighthouses. In a way, she is a lighthouse to me. When sailors were lost out at sea and they saw that tiny glimmer of a light from the lighthouse, it gave them hope and security. That's what my grandma does for me.

-Lighthouse
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
A touching tribute. Godspeed to you and yours.
Reply Quote
67 Gnome Warlock
Very , very moving. Sometimes I really love what this game is capable of doing for people. All the best.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
Thank you both!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I think that is possibly the best thing I have ever read on the forums and very touching. Though Sad about your grandmother. But a nice tribute.
Reply Quote
Sad to hear about your grandma. nice tribute.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
Thanks for all the support guys!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Best of Luck, Brah
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
That's not a ..well yes. It is a very masculine, Gnomely tear or several rolling down my face. What an AMAZING tribute, my friend. I hope what we can all take away from this is sometimes, the game just really doesn't matter. It's the people that matter. Rest assured I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers, my friend.

/Gnomefist
Reply Quote
93 Worgen Rogue
/Salute
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
You guys are great! Thank you! And *DING* lev 10!
Reply Quote
23 Pandaren Hunter
About the same here Lighthouse. My mom passed away in a sudden bad auto accident a week and half ago, and I, being the oldest, and closest to her, was left to go her things and decide what to do. I was DEVASTATED but I had to do it. My family is in Cali all the way across the United States. They stayed a couple days but had to go home.

In the process I found so many things she had gotten from this game over the years she played it. We used to tease her about us calling and she had to go "I'm in a dungeon, people are waiting..."But in that process, working with customer service to cancel her account, I found very nice people. Very helpful people in the customer service forum that didn't have to help me, they just did when I posted on what to do to do that.

So, I had found some paper saying "panda girl names". I got curious, browsed the website and decided to use the free trial to see what it was she did. Then I made this panda, for her, I got my own account now, I'm gonna figure out this game, take this panda on....even though I do not know what I am doing, I am trying...and for her, SHE will have her panda. And I in process have found many moments of peace that was greatly needed. A world that was her's opened to me, I can retrace her steps, see what she saw.

So I completely understand why you do that, I did too. Best to you friend, you have done well. I hope I can do the same.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
About the same here Lighthouse. My mom passed away in a sudden bad auto accident a week and half ago, and I, being the oldest, and closest to her, was left to go her things and decide what to do. I was DEVASTATED but I had to do it. My family is in Cali all the way across the United States. They stayed a couple days but had to go home.

In the process I found so many things she had gotten from this game over the years she played it. We used to tease her about us calling and she had to go "I'm in a dungeon, people are waiting..."But in that process, working with customer service to cancel her account, I found very nice people. Very helpful people in the customer service forum that didn't have to help me, they just did when I posted on what to do to do that.

So, I had found some paper saying "panda girl names". I got curious, browsed the website and decided to use the free trial to see what it was she did. Then I made this panda, for her, I got my own account now, I'm gonna figure out this game, take this panda on....even though I do not know what I am doing, I am trying...and for her, SHE will have her panda. And I in process have found many moments of peace that was greatly needed. A world that was her's opened to me, I can retrace her steps, see what she saw.

So I completely understand why you do that, I did too. Best to you friend, you have done well. I hope I can do the same.

That's awesome! And while you're leveling, think of good times and times you've shared together!

10/03/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Blinkdog
An unusual but neat idea. Best of luck with your endeavor, OP. And also to you, Lunardreams.

Haha, I was thinking that I would be super-trolled but so far so good! I think I've jinx'd myself now.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
That's not a ..well yes. It is a very masculine, Gnomely tear or several rolling down my face. What an AMAZING tribute, my friend. I hope what we can all take away from this is sometimes, the game just really doesn't matter. It's the people that matter. Rest assured I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers, my friend.

/Gnomefist

Gnome tears are made from engineers! Hehe. I appreciate the kind words :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
May the bitter sweet turn in time to warm love filled memories to see you thru lifes journey.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
awww <3 sorry to hear about your grandma, but it sounds like you've got a lot of great memories to remember her by! It's really touching that you're keeping her alive this way.
/bow
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
10/03/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Bofan
A touching tribute. Godspeed to you and yours.

^
I hope you enjoy the journey Pandaria brings you. I'm sorry about your grandmother, you sound like a great guy and I wish you the best.
Edited by Lucinde on 10/3/2012 11:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
all the best, and happy birthday for next week.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
/careface
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]