Haste vs Master - PVE (Frost)

90 Troll Mage
Icy Veins weights haste over mastery but in world of logs the top frost mages are stacking mastery. With our lower level gear perhaps mastery is king until T14?

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Reply Quote
I can't really say too much (haven't raided yet this expansion) but I think mastery is going to win because casting a little bit faster doesn't carry the same benefit as critically hitting a frozen target (with shatter) with the bonus damage from mastery. That's how I approach this kind of thing (I always stacked mastery for PvP last season as well for the same reason).

Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
I have a feeling frost's values are all pretty even, and considering most reforges will go to hit/expertise to get capped, you probably won't be stacking a lot of the secondary stats beyond that anyway.
Reply Quote
haste

you cant freeze a boss so the only spell which will get value off mastery in raids are your FoF ice lance procs.
Reply Quote
@Cos... Doesn't mastery affect frostbolt/firebolt when FoF is up against bosses? since for the duration of FoF, your current target is concidered "frozen"?

My suggestion has always been: revert the change to deepfreeze. give us our PvE burst package back.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
haste

you cant freeze a boss so the only spell which will get value off mastery in raids are your FoF ice lance procs.

Also brain freeze. Also it affects water elemental damage. Really the only things it doesn't affect are frozen orb, frostbolt, and your bomb.
Reply Quote
The Fingers of Frost effect causes your next Ice Lance or Deep Freeze to act as if your target were frozen, and increases Ice Lance damage by 25% for 15 sec.
My understanding is if the FoF proc doesn't get used up then it did nothing.

Without doing any reforging i have 33% mastery atm
If i stack all i can into haste i end up with 25% mastery which is still decent, and the benefit from the extra haste shows on my dps meters.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
All very interesting.

I think there's a point where haste starts to win out. For now i'm going to try stacking mastery. Especially with the available reputation necklace (hit/mastery)

We shall see.

Thanks again for chiming in
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Another thing to consider is that mastery does nothing for our bombs (against PvE bosses), while haste does.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Haste wins out by a vast margin for frost.

All of the math supports this.

"But the tooltip for mastery sounds like it's really good" is not math.

People did the math.

Haste is better.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I sustain 64k on Feng on a bad attempt.

I stack haste.

You should probably be stacking haste

Mastery does not effect Frostbolt on raid bosses

Simulationcraft.org

Learn it live it love it
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Frost armor 7% Mage armor 10% want do u say to that
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/30/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Gobonkers

To that I say "lol"
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Mage
01/30/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Gobonkers

/facepalm

All 3 armors give ~3000 rating, so use whichever that benefits your spec the most.
In which case, Frost = frost armor
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Mage
As far as I know, PvP frost relies more on mastery. But if you are focusing more on PvE, haste might be the better choice. Another good site to check out this kind of stuff is http://www.noxxic.com/portal/
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
PvE Haste wins on Frost, easily.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]