Unwanted/unsolicited friend requests

90 Human Monk
Dear Blizzard:

Ever since I set up my Battle.net ID for D3 I've been getting friend request from gold selling sites, something that never, EVER, happened before. Not once in 7 years of playing this game have I ever received a friendship request from goldsellers.

I hate this spam, I did not used to have to deal with it and I most certainly do not see the reason why I should start now. I get at least one per day and blocking the sender does not work because it does not block the web adress, just the ID.

Please, Blizzard, do something about this.

Sincerely

A (very) disgruntled costumer
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
They seem to get these from Diablo chat lists, Kewn.

Please do use the red report button on the invite to report them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

I appreciate your response, and I already use the report button; but, as stated, this only blocks that particular sender and has ZERO impact on the spam.

Furthermore, I do not think they get my tag from general chat, since I don't really talk to anyone in D3, let alone use general chat. They must be getting my tag by other means.

Please, Blizzard, make the invites from D3 stay in D3 and not cross over to WoW and do something about that spam. Give us an option to block unsolicited friend requests. Make it so that request received while in a party are allowed, but invites received from complete and total strangers are blocked BY DEFAULT.
Edited by Kewngpow on 10/4/2012 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
10/04/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Kewngpow
They must be getting my tag by other means.

They might be getting it via the friends list from the battletag. Anyone that you add via the friends list could be compromised at any point and the information can trickle down.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My friends and I have a theory that it is a dictionary attack. I'm in the same boat you're in, I've never talked in D3 general chat, and the only friend I've added through battletags is someone I doubt has been compromised.

I figure my tag is just too simple, but oh well :)
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
Furthermore, I do not think they get my tag from general chat, since I don't really talk to anyone in D3, let alone use general chat. They must be getting my tag by other means.

You can go into the chat in D3 and list everyone's battletags that are connected to that General chat channel. They could also look at the forums for battletags.

10/04/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Diamora
They might be getting it via the friends list from the battletag. Anyone that you add via the friends list could be compromised at any point and the information can trickle down.

I doubt this is the case because I started getting daily friend requests when I hadn't even used real id/battletag friends and those friend lists were empty. There have been days where I would get 7-10 friend requests a DAY after using D3.
Edited by Holyångel on 10/4/2012 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
You can go into the chat in D3 and list everyone's battletags that are connected to that General chat channel. They could also look at the forums for battletags.

I'm not really too concerned as to the "How", I'm more interested in the "Make it stop".

Just like random guild invites become annoying, this is starting to grind my gears.
Edited by Kewngpow on 10/4/2012 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
10/04/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Kewngpow

I'm not really too concerned as to the "How", I'm more interested in the "Make it stop".

Just like random guild invites become annoying, this is starting to grind my gears.

Knowing "how" empowers you to "make it stop" in some cases.

As an example, you can probably make all the D3 requests stop if you ensure that you are never connected to a public chat channel, and you never post on the forums.

The guild invite spam is much worse and impossible to prevent. I don't know why it's allowed for one add-on to look for all unguilded players on a realm and spam them all with whispers, when the user never even presses a button.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Shaman
Edit: Actually - my job is primarily moderation - not answering questions. This is mostly a player to player assisted forum.

You may want to consider reading over our forum code of conduct before you return.

Thanks!

--Orlyia
Edited by Orlyia on 10/4/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/04/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Kewngpow

At least you could choose to ignore all guild invites, though.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

this is such a [correct] reply....seriously why even bother posting something, this what you get paid for, really sad....truely sad

It is the correct answer so how is it a bad reply? It is truely sad that you feel the need to insult someone about doing their job. That is what is truely sad.
Reply Quote
61 Worgen Priest
Orlyia works very hard to help people who post their issues on the forums. The CS SFA's are not developers. They only know the info that has been passed on to them. If you don't understand how customer support works then you should probably just not comment. You know if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. I thought trolling a poster was bad. However it probably isn't smart to troll, flame and insult a blizzard employee who btw is really good at her job.
Edited by Tinkrbella on 10/4/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
This is similar to the spam issues one might have with any social networking application, which is what RealID and Battle-tags are. It's the nature of the beast. Once you elected to participate, the camel's nose was already in the tent.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
I don't know what's causing these (although I suspect a dictionary sort of thing). I have yet to see any, myself, though.
"As with other situations, the key seems to be giving Jayne a heavy stick and standing back." -- Inara
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I use the add-on "BadBoy" and it automatically blocks all spam invites I've gotten as of yet. I haven't had any issues with normal invites, either - it's pretty accurate.

One thing I'd like to see, though, is what battle.net RID was originally - normal friends requests, and the ONLY way to send RID invites was by KNOWING the persons e-mail... not just right click, add to RID. Since D3 uses your gamer tag, PLEASE for the love of god, take gamertag off the list of ways to add someone to RID. Email only please! Worked a million times better that way!
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
10/04/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Ghaisena
I use the add-on "BadBoy" and it automatically blocks all spam invites I've gotten as of yet. I haven't had any issues with normal invites, either - it's pretty accurate.

This is true:
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/bad-boy#c948
As of v11 BadBoy automatically blocks & reports Battle.net/realid invites from gold spammers (gold spam in the invite message). As Blizzard hasn't "protected" this function it can be done automatically by BadBoy.

It's certainly a useful addon.
"As with other situations, the key seems to be giving Jayne a heavy stick and standing back." -- Inara
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
10/04/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Holyångel
As an example, you can probably make all the D3 requests stop if you ensure that you are never connected to a public chat channel, and you never post on the forums.

Well, then I guess I'm SoL. I was quite a helpful poster for a bit at the start of D3 Beta and well into the official release of the game.

I guess it is true, then, that no good deed goes unpunished...
Edited by Kewngpow on 10/4/2012 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
10/04/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Kewngpow

Well, then I guess I'm SoL. I was quite a helpful poster for a bit at the start of D3 Beta and well into the official release of the game.

The bigger issue I see is that some of these spammers are sending me REAL ID friend requests. Yes, it says "Real ID" next to their name in the request. My email address has never been public. It was never used for anything but Battlenet. I have never received spam to that email address - UNTIL Blizzard was hacked.

Now I receive Real Id invitations to an account no one knew. No, it did not happen through friend of a friend as I have always had that feature turned off. The only person on my friend's list was my daughter and the only one on her friends list was me. So the only option left is that the hackers got my email directly from Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
This is similar to the spam issues one might have with any social networking application, which is what RealID and Battle-tags are. It's the nature of the beast. Once you elected to participate, the camel's nose was already in the tent.

Sad part is you either participate and play, or not participate and not play, there is no middle ground here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]