Gnomish Or Goblin Engineering

90 Night Elf Monk
now that MoP is out, which one seems to have better stuff after 85?
Which is best overall?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
anyone?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
They don't do anything, beyond lower level junk.

Look at the pictures of the rocket mount you can make in Engineering.

One is goblin spec, one is Gnome.
That is the only difference in engineering, at level 85, besides the locations of some old (BC era?) port items which you will probably never use now.

Goblin and gnome spec only otherwise come into play for either of the looks of the engineering rocket mount.

Goblin

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=127138

Gnome

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=127139

The pics of each are in those links. It is the engineering trainer who says which one you need; On mine the goblin one is red, because it says it requires goblin eng to buy the recipe.

Note the item itself does not require either to RIDE, just to MAKE.

I like the look of the goblin one myself, which I could buy from an different engineer on the AH (or even straight up trade I guess, if someone was willing.)

-------------------

Oh, and the cata era pets you can make. Again, anyone can mem the pets from the item, but Goblin makes personal world destroyer and gnome makes the mechanical rabbit thing.
Edited by Kybeorie on 10/5/2012 6:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
so thats it?Nothing else thats special at level 90?I guess i might aswell pick up goblin then..I used gnomish on my last character.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
whats better if i go pvp wise?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Goblin has more explody things to throw, However bombs have cooldowns and because PVPers like to cry a lot Engineering has major nerfbat injuries in PVP.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Rogue
Actually, a TON of people LOVE the "lower level junk" and do go back to BC areas quite a bit. It may seem different on the forums, but for those that spend their time PLAYING - we enjoy ALL of World of Warcraft - not just rushing to max level and forgetting about the other 99% of the gameworld.

But hey maybe you are one of the few that have every achievement, killed every regular mob, killed every rare spawn mob on every continent. completed all 9000+ quests from pre-cata and post cat 1-90, all heroics, all raids, etc...

I was thinking of switching to Engineering because of all the FUN things you can create - as well as the useful stuff for max level play.

If any1 has a REAL answer of how to differentiate between the two specializations, we'd love to know. Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Gnome engineering has more "flavor" items then Goblin, however a few are still useful.

The gnomish TBC teleporter is a quick way to get to Outland, but it's closer to Shatrath then the goblin one. Gnomish teleporter for vanilla also sends you to Gadgetzan, which can be convenient.

In cata they added a gnomish anti-gravity device...you can basically spam click it and make your character go higher and higher until it malfunctions (it can be fun to use this, then use goblin glider when you get high enough if you're bored). While it doesn't work in combat and it doesn't work inside, it actually acts as a spare emergency "parachute" if you happen to be falling a long distance, since it resets your fall distance upon usage.

Gnomes also get goggles that let you see every player in their underwear...if that's your thing.

Most of the other stuff has been rendered obsolete as time as gone on, however, due to level increases (net gun, chicken gun, etc).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My dorf was a gobbo engineer most of his life, i just went through the trouble of changing specs and making the the "new" transporters. The location of the gnomish transporters do seem to be in a slightly more convenient location, and the devices are more useful, because most of the goblin explosives are obsolete after lvl 80. I changed because I didn't want a smooshed in bomb looking rocket transport, I wanted the sleeker design. Really though it just comes down to which style of rocket ship you want, that is the most expensive thing you will build so far.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
The way I usually look at it. Gnomish for fun and novelty. Goblin for death and destruction.

My gnome is an gnomish engineer, and I love using the World Enlarger (Enlargener?). It makes her super tiny, and I get a kick out of it.

I do like the goblin companion pet though - the world destroyer (aka fel reaver jr).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
The differences are so subtle it makes me wonder why the specialty still exists.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Gnomes also get goggles that let you see every player in their underwear...if that's your thing.

^ This helped my decide! LOL
Reply Quote
88 Dwarf Warlock
I realize this thread is old, but I figured people will still want this info. Below are the items that are specific to each of the two specializations. Verified in-game as of 01/05/2014.

Gnomish engineering only
Gnomish Shrink Ray
Plans: Inlaid Mithril Cylinder
Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector
Gnomish Rocket Boots
Gnomish Goggles
Gnomish Harm Prevention Belt
Gnomish Battle Chicken
Gnomish Mind Control Cap
Gnomish Death Ray
Gnomish Flame Turret
Gnomish Poultryizer
Nigh-Invulnerability Belt
Gnomish Battle Goggles
Gnomish Power Goggles
Gnomish X-Ray Specs
De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion
Gnomish Gravity Well
Geosynchronous World Spinner

Goblin Engineering only
Goblin Construction Helmet
Goblin Mining Helmet
Goblin Mortar
Recipe: Goblin Rocket Fuel
Goblin Sapper Charge
Goblin Rocket Boots
Goblin Bomb Dispenser
The Big One
Goblin Dragon Gun
Goblin Rocket Helmet
The Bigger One
Super Sapper Charge
Goblin Rocket Launcher
Foreman's Enchanted Helmet
Foreman's Reinforced Helmet
Global Thermal Sapper Charge
Personal World Destroyer
Big Daddy
Depleted-Kyparium Rocket
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Thanks felhand, this helped me choose.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The Gnomish Gravity Well is one of the funnest items in-game, especially paired with the Goblin Glider
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
You're doing Gods work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]