Affliction PvE: Reforge away hit?

90 Gnome Warlock
I noticed that AskMrRobot is now suggesting that affliction warlocks shouldn't worry about being hit capped. I've done a couple dps tests against dummies, but nothing extensive, and it seems that there is a dps increase from reforging mastery>haste>hit/exp>crit. However, these are only dummy tests without raid buffs. Can anyone clarify if AskMrRobot is correct? They are the ONLY site with this information, and I don't really trust it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The reason is because affliction doesn't have a big nuke like say destro. All you miss out on if one of your dots miss is maybe a tick or two and a gcd so that's why some people aren't going for the hit cap.

Personally I still want to get hit capped because in a raid setting I can spend more time paying attention to what is going on rather than staring at dot timers giving myself time to cast the same dot twice if one should miss. Even if it is a bit of a dps loss.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Yes, please stay hit capped so we can look good on logs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The reason is because affliction doesn't have a big nuke like say destro. All you miss out on if one of your dots miss is maybe a tick or two and a gcd so that's why some people aren't going for the hit cap.

Personally I still want to get hit capped because in a raid setting I can spend more time paying attention to what is going on rather than staring at dot timers giving myself time to cast the same dot twice if one should miss. Even if it is a bit of a dps loss.

Pretty much how I feel. My Guild isn't high end progression raiders so I'm willing to sacrifice some DPS for a quality of life issue.

Besides, I can justify with the extra 3% or so DPS that I gain with Touch of the Grave. =D

As for whether or not it's true or not... Who knows? I'd check around on the EJ forums though.
Edited by Lyea on 10/7/2012 12:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hey there, I'm one of the people behind Ask Mr. Robot. We do extensive testing on SimC to calculate our weights. We also follow a lot of theorycrafters to make sure everything is in line. Favoring other stats over hit is indeed a DPS increase for Affliction locks. However, if you really want to be hit capped, there's an option for that. Click on the drop down box in the "Gear Strategy" section of the options bar. You'll see a PvE Hit Cap option :)

Good luck in your raids :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
The reason AskMrRobot is having you reforge to lower than hit cap is because that is the "Default PvE" Build. You have to set it to go to hit cap. There is a "Default PvE Hit Cap" build available in the drop down when you click on the builds.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Hey there, I'm one of the people behind Ask Mr. Robot. We do extensive testing on SimC to calculate our weights. We also follow a lot of theorycrafters to make sure everything is in line. Favoring other stats over hit is indeed a DPS increase for Affliction locks. However, if you really want to be hit capped, there's an option for that. Click on the drop down box in the "Gear Strategy" section of the options bar. You'll see a PvE Hit Cap option :)

Good luck in your raids :)

Funny how I have never had AskMrRobot come up with a reforging profile that sims better than what I come up with before going to the site.

And yes, I do input my own stat weights.

However, the website is right concerning the subject of this thread. Every source I've seen, and my own use of simcraft, has shown that mastery and haste consistently scale better than hit, unless your hit is something stupidly low.

http://i.imgur.com/z0jEy.png?1
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Wow, thank you for all the responses! I start raiding on Tuesday this week, and I think I'll try a middle of the road approach (going for the haste cap without reforging too much hit away). I think the important thing to gather from this thread is that it's ok to be a little under the hit cap, so make sure you are never reforged over the cap! EVER!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Whats the hit cap?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I wouldn't subscribe to the notion that hit is a wayside stat for the time being. Let's look at the fundamental aspect of the stat; landing spells on bosses. Meaning, even if you're Affliction with periodic damage ticks, you still need them to HIT the boss to apply damage to him. The core of the role of DPS. Even further, let's assume you're about to reapply Agony at a full 10 stacks and you miss...that's a huge hit to your performance.

I would be ULTRA skeptical of any of the quick-n-easy stat itemizers right now and stick to what makes sense. Read your tooltips and check SimulationCraft for the most thorough math behind the stats.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I prefer to be hit capped, because having to recast a spell that missed is personally a huge annoyance to me. I also want to avoid the situation where a haunt misses and causes me to fling my keyboard across the room.

However this is personal preference. I've seen plenty of people discussing a sub-hit cap set up for affliction, and they have a point; most of our spells are fairly inexpensive and instant or short cast time.

I'll stick with trying to cap hit for now and wait on more raid data to come out and hammer out the signal to noise ratio.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
There is two major issues that missing can cause that will really hurt your dps.

1) Missing Agony and not being able to refresh it to keep the 10 stack
2) Missing haunt and wasting a CD.

SimCraft actually sims that you refresh your dots much earlier so that if you miss you can always cast again. However, this doesn't always work in a real fight. It is really not that hard to be hit capped, and the advantages are probably not worth it risking one of the two things above happening.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
i've specifically reforged away from hit and not currently encountered any issues in raiding so far. Doing well on the meters.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I tried the 'Default Build' from askmrrobot and I noticed way too many misses, I think with higher levels of Haste it will be less of an issue, but for now I raised by Hit back up to 11.74%. In my Will of the Emperor kill last night I had about 25 misses in total for the fight, which sounds like a lot but in a fight with that many adds and Shard generation, it wasn't an issue.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-5tg7ktutpkww4g1a/details/19/
Edited by Noxidus on 10/15/2012 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think there are a number of aspects to Affliction that haven't been mentioned sequentially, so consolidate and expand:

(1) Obviously as has been stated, scaling out of hit is suggested because once a DoT has been applied, hit rating only matters in reapplying later as ticks never miss. With Agony, Unstable Affliction, and Corruption all having decently long applications, the occasional miss on reapplication shouldn't be noticed by DPS sims or in an actual raid environment. The only critical miss is an application of Haunt, as the lost shard with no DPS boost will hurt.

(2) That being said, Mr Robot tends to forge Hit rating to between 6-9% depending on the quality and innate secondaries of your gear. This means on every cast on a raid boss, you'll have a 9-6% chance to miss, respectively. This feels negligible to me because...

(3) With the exception of missing a Haunt, you only lose an occasional GCD on a miss, and you should never completely lose an application of your DoTs, mainly Agony, because you should be making use of Pandemic to begin trying reapplications at 50% of the original duration or Fel Flame spam to quickly bring UA and Corruption back to full strength.

(4) Addons and macros can greatly mitigate timing and rotation difficulties. Personally, I use the Needtoknow addon to keep track of Haunt, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, and Agony durations as well their 50% marker. Utilizing /cast [nochanneling] (spell) macros on Malefic Grasp and Soul Drain will also keep you from clipping channels with subsequent channels so you can spam through any misses, but still allow you to stopcast channels with other spells.

I didn't like forging out of hit when I finally started getting LFR gear. It felt super dirty and I hated Mr Robot for it. However, after keeping the previous points in mind and getting a solid UI set up I gained about a 20% increase in raid buffed DPS with the same gear after un-hit capping (45k hit capped -> 55k Mastery/Haste emphasis).
Edited by Morellia on 2/3/2013 2:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Did Blizzard change something with forum searches recently?

I'm really confused as to why we're seeing so many damn necro's from different people in the last few days.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]