Should rogues be allowed to tank?

68 Human Rogue
I was doing a dungeon one time when we suddenly lost our tank. We requeued for a new one and since the boss was nearby, we decided to go ahead and see how far we could get with just the four of us and no tank.

I expected us to wipe. Instead, I tanked that boss and brought him down, though it did take a long time.

Shouldn't all melee fighters, including Shaman, be allowed by game mechanics to tank? Shaman have shields and leather armor and Monks can tank even though they wear leather armor and do not have shields. It seems unfair for combat rogues not to be able to tank!
Reply Quote
74 Night Elf Druid
I don't think they should. PvE is a joke now anyway, so maybe...
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
I've subbed in to tank numerous partial low-level instances and bosses on another rogue toon. Fun. I can see in our current toolset the potential for Combat being reworked into a tank spec. It would certainly make the spec live up to its "swashbuckler" description more so than it currently does in PvE. I'm not so much a swashbuckler as just another guy that shoves pointy things into unprotected backs.

It would be fun, I think, and could make for a very active tanking style. That said, I don't see it as necessary. Were it to happen with the next expac, that would be keen.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
The problem is... tanks are meant to protect their allies.

That does not fit the rogue archtype.
Reply Quote
92 Human Rogue
Try tanking at 90, you'll get 2 shot.
Reply Quote
59 Pandaren Monk
from what I have been hearing, if rogues could tank we would have at least one viable spec.
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Rogue
We could do it in Vanilla and BC. I originally chose NE for the extra dodge because this was the path I wanted for my Rogue. You used to be able to get to a 55% passive dodge 50% more with evasion which was on prep, ghostly strike was amazing even back when it actually damaged you with another 15% dodge for 7 seconds.

But those as well as many other dodge/ tanky talents were removed from the game in the last couple expansions. Dodge gain from agility has been lowered, dodge mechanic itself changed, so many changes to prevent us from ever going back. I had high hopes when they said the pokemon farmville expac would maybe bring back old talents as part of the Rogue rework but alas, a complete removal of anything dodge related except maybe evasion being back on prep... too bad we can't really take it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]