Why on a weekend?

(Locked)

90 Undead Hunter
I dont understand why you would perform rolling restarts and run this risk of THIS happening on a weekend when lets say, oh, EVERYONE is trying to play. WTF and great timing blizz!
90 Human Paladin
Shhhhh.... the brown nosers will find you.... and ... tell you to quit the game...
90 Tauren Paladin
I know why. It's because I finally got a weekend off from work. In the last... years, I've never gotten a weekend off, and when I do, the auth. servers died. I'm sorry :(

(Tumblr was down yesterday for maintenance as well. Also my fault. ><)
25 Night Elf Druid
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/10/07/reports-entire-cities-dead-on-certain-realms/

This is why.

It cropped up today too.
100 Blood Elf Priest
The reason that a Sunday morning was chosen would generally be that most people are in church or somewhere else during the time they set for it. Unforeseen things happen and we are seeing one of them now with the Authentication Servers having their issues.
90 Human Paladin
10/07/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Flatspriest
The reason that a Sunday morning was chosen would generally be that most people are in church or somewhere else during the time they set for it. Unforeseen things happen and we are seeing one of them now with the Authentication Servers having their issues.

Church? Aww you are so cute.
100 Tauren Shaman
They just released a major expansion. Since there is no way to test every possible combination of things offline, live release = a lot of background work fixing bugs or conflicts that arise and are reported in the initial weeks. Blizz hotfixes as much as they can (updates without a restart), but a time period like this doesn't always allow for that. You may have noticed that they have done restarts every few days since the expac released - because they find it preferable to interrupt for 15 minutes (with advance warning), than to tell those players who are having issues to suck it up and wait, when they have the fix in hand. :)

If you look back, you'll find this has been true after each major release - it's just Blizz engaging in a normal software release cycle, similar to many other companies. They choose their times based on server activity cycles (Blizz does a solid job of watching when people are playing and when things are quiet), as much as possible. In general, it happens so fast, few notice. Now and again, like today, something doesn't go quite as planned, and they get it rolling again as fast as they can identify it and resolve it.

Demure, I would never tell folks not to play. I would, however, say that if 'an hour without WoW servers' constitutes a crisis, one might wish to examine the overall state of one's life and priorities.... ;)
Edited by Naxos on 10/7/2012 11:55 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
Because there was a bug which required an urgent fix. Also my weekend runs on various days depending on my shifts. Here in NZ its also a Monday, not a weekend.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/07/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Flatspriest

LOL
Not everyone goes to church -

A Lot of People just want to relax on the weekends.
90 Gnome Death Knight
No choice.

A hacker discovered a way to kill everyone in SW on some realms:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/10/07/reports-entire-cities-dead-on-certain-realms/

Watch the video.
100 Troll Hunter
To this day, I do not understand whya large Organizations, such as Blizzard, do server maint. in the middle of they're buisness day. No, the Sunday Church thing doesnt hold water. Server maint. on Tuesdays like they have been doing is a good place to start, but even then I dont understand why its conducted at 10am. Its real easy, look at server activity logs, find when you have the least amount of traffic, or paying customers on and conduct server maint. I would Imagine this would put server maint. at about 2-3 am on a Tuesday. There is only one of two reason why Blizzard doesnt do this: 1. They think they are saving Money. 2. There administrators are to lazy to put the late hours in. I work for an organization that I am pretty confident owns the largest network in the world. As Senoir Administrator on this network, conducting server maint. when we will have the least amount of customers booted is Standard Operating Procedures. Yes, that means someone works a night shift. But then again, who am I but another disgruntled WoW customer.
90 Gnome Death Knight
Read the threads Eatmytrap, before bloviating.

Blizz is fighting a hacker team.
90 Goblin Shaman
10/07/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Demure
Church? Aww you are so cute.

Or, still sleeping with Saturday's hangover. :)
48 Pandaren Monk
saw this and wondered why no one tried to leave, sure the hacker was standing in the middle of the sky at times but come on and run... man the repair bill for these guys, ouch
100 Gnome Monk
Refer to this post for answers regarding the authentication system being down right meow.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794981625
100 Draenei Hunter
Can you all say "Rick Roll" children? Sure you can :)
90 Pandaren Monk
10/07/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Demure
Shhhhh.... the brown nosers will find you.... and ... tell you to quit the game...

QFT.

There are so many fanboys that will defend Blizzard even if they point blank murdered someone it's getting outrageous.

Doing this on the weekend is a bad idea. Shame on them.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]