Death Runes. Interesting Input. Good Idea?

94 Orc Death Knight
As we all know there have been changes that involve things costing Death Runes. More specifically.... 2 abilities.... For no real reason. Death Siphon costs a Death Rune probably because well... It has the word "Death" in its name. Lame.

As for Necrotic Strike, I'm not so sure as to why they changed this ability's cost. I would have to put my money on the fact that it was the "Go-To" strike for PvP, so they wanted to change it up as to make DK's actually use their other strikes more often. Let's face it, we did use the hell out of that when it only costed one unholy.

However, it's now pretty much made every other strike we have in PvP look even more like a joke. Sure, Frost does good damage without using Necrotic, but Unholy? Oh my.... Scourge Strike's physical portion crits plate for around 16k, leading to around an overall strike damage of about 24k. Necrotic crits for around 20k and absorbs quite a bit of healing.

So in other words the cost was changed to break DK's free of the Necrotic dependency, but the buffing of it has made it prove to be quite the contrary.

Instead of making the cost of things change just out of the blue, why not just make an added effect if you wanted people to start using runes for other things?

"Well what do you mean by that?" Well, I'll tell you:

Lets just say instead of changing Necrotic to costing a Death Rune we did things to other abilities that made you want to use them instead when you have your Death Runes up. For instance, Scourge Strike hits like kitten kisses on plate at the moment, so why not make it when you use Scourge Strike with a Death Rune, it deals pure shadow damage hm?

Things like this could be done to a lot of Death Knight abilities, you'd just have to get creative with it. Making Dark Transformation free your pet of snares/roots/CC for a 10 second duration when used with a Death Rune for another example. (Throwing ideas, sue me =P )

"OH well we don't want everyone taking Blood Tap since Death Runes will be at such a high demand then!"

I've got an easy solution: Don't make the 75 talents rune regeneration related. In fact, don't make any talent rune regeneration related. Why not just pick a mechanic and stick with it? Make up some interesting talents to go into that tier and call it a day.

Death Rune costs are lame. I hate it. Death Rune's making things better however, I'm all for. This makes my class feel much more varied and fun to play. Sure, it'd be the same as now managing Death Runes, but they would be a hell of a lot more fun to use.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
10/08/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Kîllawar
As for Necrotic Strike, I'm not so sure as to why they changed this ability's cost. I would have to put my money on the fact that it was the "Go-To" strike for PvP, so they wanted to change it up as to make DK's actually use their other strikes more often. Let's face it, we did use the hell out of that when it only costed one unholy.
Pretty much this. I think it was more of a balance issue, since it could completely shut down healers. Now, we're supposed to use it less often with this change but they buffed it a bit so that it isn't terrible when you do get to use it.

Just spec Blood Tap and Necro away.

so why not make it when you use Scourge Strike with a Death Rune, it deals pure shadow damage hm?
Sounds like a good idea but someone more experienced with Unholy PvP would have more insight than I.

I've got an easy solution: Don't make the 75 talents rune regeneration related. In fact, don't make any talent rune regeneration related. Why not just pick a mechanic and stick with it? Make up some interesting talents to go into that tier and call it a day.
I suggested affixing multiple runes to weapons, turning these talents into permanent weapon runes and being able to choose one between the three.

Death Rune costs are lame. I hate it.
Me too, but I'm getting used to it. Blood Tap macro'd to your RuPo dump bandages it but it still feels clunky. Meh.
Edited by Pushßutton on 10/8/2012 12:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]