Is resto shaman bad or am I just bad?

90 Dwarf Shaman
So I understand I'm not full geared or even reforged properly (I mean really, what am I doing with my stats? The internet doesn't know) but I played Shadowcleave and Shadowplay last season and it went alright. Last night me and my team decided to push ratings. It was awful.

The teams we got that didn't have a hunter or a warrior (only 2 out of nine) went well enough. But what really shocked me is the other healer classes. It would get down to the win where my lock and spriest just had to kill the healer. I watched them lay into a rDruid for 5+min before he just quit due to boredom. This is with all or burst cooldowns used, Stormlash down, CP stunning, me interrupting.

He lost almost no mana, when I find myself mana starved for a good portion of arenas. Not only that, but I know for a fact there is no way I could stay alive solo like these monks and druids out there. Don't even get me started about hPaly's.

Anyone else seeing this or am I just a bad shaman? I don't take the game too seriously so you can tell me the latter, just follow up the "You suck dude" with a "Here's what I do..." or "This may help..."

Thanks for reading!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
More spirit.

shamans are like disc priests...

they need peels for 2+ dps.

Overall I would rate shamans to be the second best healer right behind Rdruids.

10/09/2012 08:26 AMPosted by Bronzetotem
Anyone else seeing this or am I just a bad shaman? I don't take the game too seriously so you can tell me the latter, just follow up the "You suck dude" with a "Here's what I do..." or "This may help..."
Reforge spirit/get more gear.

I could probably use more spirit myself.

Also farm a heroic weapon/shield from dungeons.(still need to do this myself)

You are missing out on almost 2k sp.
Edited by Shãrr on 10/9/2012 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Try to get the weapon/shield I have on my pally.

Or if you have have the time you could try to farm the epic 476 healing mace that drops from sha of doubt in temple of the jade serpent dungeon.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
What do I reforge to? Is it still Int>spirit>mastery>crit=haste? I mean with PvP power you would assume I would stake that and possibly resilience.
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 08:43 AMPosted by Bronzetotem
Is it still Int>spirit>mastery>crit=haste?
Pretty much.

There is so much damage going out right now that you need all the spirit you can get.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
hey mate, swap out bulwark for natures guardian, and get rid of windwalk for either earthgrab or frost shock (you need a root for melee helps alot). Also, swap out healing wave glyph for capacitor or cleanse. That should help a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I see a lot of people going Crit > mastery
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Nature's Guardian? Isn't that more of a PvE talent? I mean, I can see its usefullness but getting a 20k-ish shield i can reset with Call of the elements seems more viable, care to elaborate?

Other than that thanks for the tips! Keep them coming!

I had a buddy of mine look at Skill-Capped for me and I didn't realize that our mastery had a hard cap which I was exceeding, so I've reforged more to Haste. According to Skill-Capped PvP/Resilience is the better stats to be taking as they scale better than Straight int. But that's just what the site said.

Sadly if Astral Shift was a 1min cooldown like It should be then the first tier would be a no brainer.
Edited by Bronzetotem on 10/9/2012 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ng is superior for 2 reasons, it automatic and it will scales with battlemaster, not to mention 1min cd rather long for what mages get ever 20ish sec, while its great against dot teams, shadowplay isn't exactly top dog anymore

also you want totemic restoration over call, as good players will totem stomp most things but also grounding eating a spell will proc restoration so a 19sec cd comes down more around 12ish
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I guess I'm missing the usefulness of just increasing health with NG. The idea of SBT is to provide a shield when moments get clutch, if instead I just increase my maximum health value what good does it do? Does it also increase my current health as well? Say for example it says "Increases you current health pool by X." do I gain a relative proportion of that health increase as a type of pseudo heal?

I guess I'm not seeing it in this scenario:
"Oh no, clutch moment, I'm at 20k life, better pop my trinket. Good, now my maximum life total when from 325k to 370k.........awesome....but I still have only 20k.....now I just have more room to heal to full."

Or does it effectively heal me for a little bit and give me more time in that 15seconds to heal out?

Also, if Shadowplay is no longer very viable does anyone have an recommendations for a REAL 3's team? Or should I just exploit the balancing flaws and get a BM Huntard and a Warrior?
Edited by Bronzetotem on 10/9/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It helps with your mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
LB
10/09/2012 08:26 AMPosted by Bronzetotem
So I understand I'm not full geared or even reforged properly

nothing to see here
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I guess I'm missing the usefulness of just increasing health with NG. The idea of SBT is to provide a shield when moments get clutch, if instead I just increase my maximum health value what good does it do? Does it also increase my current health as well? Say for example it says "Increases you current health pool by X." do I gain a relative proportion of that health increase as a type of pseudo heal?

I guess I'm not seeing it in this scenario:
"Oh no, clutch moment, I'm at 20k life, better pop my trinket. Good, now my maximum life total when from 325k to 370k.........awesome....but I still have only 20k.....now I just have more room to heal to full."

Or does it effectively heal me for a little bit and give me more time in that 15seconds to heal out??

It effectively heals you with the health pool increase. It's amazing
Edited by Layback on 10/10/2012 10:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]