World of Midieval fantasy in Chinese armor

90 Human Death Knight
First off I think Pandaria is beautiful and the designers did a great job. However things have been looking a bit strange in Stormwind lately. It is odd being in a midieval European style castle with the population dressed in Chinese clothing and armor. The new threads look great in Pandaria but seem out of place under the turrets or in the Pig and Whistle. I am glad we have transmog in case we want the stats but want to keep the old look.

Does this clash of cultures seem odd to anyone else?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I agree, they should turn SW into a giant pagoda.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Any more weird that people carrying weapons and wearing armor strolling around the hippy communes of Darnassus and Thunder Bluff?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Nope, not much odder than seeing chicks running around in scanty-kinis, in a Medieval city.

Not complaining about the scanty-kinis, though.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
You think Pandaria is bad?

Try imagining Burning Crusade where you go into intergalactic space prisons with tentacle beasts dressed up like a colourblind Renaissance fair
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
*waddles past in moonkin form*
Yea... the oriental style armor is no more out of place than the rest of the stuff round here.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Because it is fantasy you need to be able to have a healthy suspension of disbelief. If you don't have one, then you are missing out on alot of fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/09/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Zamm
Any more weird that people carrying weapons and wearing armor strolling around the hippy communes of Darnassus and Thunder Bluff?

I have always found home in Stormwind and Ironforge, this is the first time I felt that the new changes seemed out of genre.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Priest
Medieval fantasy with space ships, helicopters, motorcycles, airplanes, etc? I don't think it's a problem because wow isn't strictly medieval fantasy.

Within the context of the game, strangers from another land visiting a 'castle' does not seem strange to me. I'd kind of expect them to dress like they would in their home.
Edited by Mescyn on 10/9/2012 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
First off I think Pandaria is beautiful and the designers did a great job. However things have been looking a bit strange in Stormwind lately. It is odd being in a midieval European style castle with the population dressed in Chinese clothing and armor. The new threads look great in Pandaria but seem out of place under the turrets or in the Pig and Whistle. I am glad we have transmog in case we want the stats but want to keep the old look.

Does this clash of cultures seem odd to anyone else?

What?

WHAT?

I'M SORRY - I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE GYROCOPTERS. LET'S TALK IN THE TRAM STATION.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
10/09/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Mediana
Because it is fantasy you need to be able to have a healthy suspension of disbelief. If you don't have one, then you are missing out on alot of fun.

OP chose to be a human... I think we know how much imagination they have.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
10/09/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Dyschordia
I have always found home in Stormwind and Ironforge, this is the first time I felt that the new changes seemed out of genre.

Well maybe you shouldn't have spent so much time in SW and IF.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Well, to be honest, Europe had a healthy trade relationship with Asia in the past. And there's also those pesky Crusades. Some influence from a different culture that they've become exposed to isn't very surprising.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Even the modern machinery had a antiquated look to it and was tongue in cheek. There have always been elements of the game that where a little outside standard fantasy framework but overall the medieval cities looked like medieval cities. Lately I feel like I am in some kind of twilight zone English China town circa AD 600.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/09/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Lopsydaisy
Well, to be honest, Europe had a healthy trade relationship with Asia in the past. And there's also those pesky Crusades. Some influence from a different culture that they've become exposed to isn't very surprising.

Some is the important word here.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Just pretend you're in 15th century port town when Asia was first opening trade with Europeans again.

With all the cultures in WOW, we already have weird exotic non European looking fantasy armor in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I agree. It seems very out of place for my bi-pedal, talking bull named Brobocop from a land of other talking bulls living in tipis to be wearing Asian-inspired clothing while wielding two weapons at the same time that each individually require two hands, and carrying five bags on my back that contain well over 100 combined items, as well as the book I carry that holds a hundred other animals and vehicles, as well as about three hundred small creatures (including a child that will occasionally run errands for me), all while riding through a stone town built by Shrek-like creatures on my motorcycle that doesn't ever require refueling with my passenger Jersey Shore wannabe goblin friend who carries his banker friend in his pocket at all times.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
10/09/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Dyschordia
Even the modern machinery had a antiquated look to it and was tongue in cheek. There have always been elements of the game that where a little outside standard fantasy framework but overall the medieval cities looked like medieval cities. Lately I feel like I am in some kind of twilight zone English China town circa AD 600.

It's still not as weird as the Burning Crusade was. I got sick of people calling it "clown armor", this game is influenced by the fantasy of Michael Moorcock as much as it is European or Tolkien mythology.l
Reply Quote
Fel Reaver: Smash
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
10/09/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Dyschordia

Again, if you went somewhere other than SW, you might not be so distraught.

Their are dozens of different design types in-game, and you are picking just 1 and using it as some kind of benchmark.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]