Pet Capture level issues

I caught a level 17 pet in battle yesterday and when I looked in the Pet Journal it showed as 16 - pulled it out and it still showed 16

what gives with that??
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
People were having too much fun, so higher level pets get their level reduced when you capture them. Level 20+ it gets reduced by 2 levels.
Reply Quote
So if there is TOO much fun Blizz has to ruin it?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
It works that way for all level ranges. pets will either lose 1 or 2 levels (depending on initial level) when caught if they are close to the level of your highest levels pet.

I would imagine the reason behind this is to keep people from just catching wild pets and cycling out old members of your team.

For example, if you had a level 15 and two level 12 pets and you caught a level 15. You could replace one of your level 12 pets.

I guess it is more to prevent power leveling one pet and using wild pets to supplement doing that.

Not that hard to get those two levels back if you wanted to use what you had caught.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It works that way for all level ranges. pets will either lose 1 or 2 levels (depending on initial level) when caught if they are close to the level of your highest levels pet.

I would imagine the reason behind this is to keep people from just catching wild pets and cycling out old members of your team.

For example, if you had a level 15 and two level 12 pets and you caught a level 15. You could replace one of your level 12 pets.

I guess it is more to prevent power leveling one pet and using wild pets to supplement doing that.

Not that hard to get those two levels back if you wanted to use what you had caught.

I looked it up, because I caught a rare level 12 yeti that is doing some major ownage against anything I fight so I thought about saving time by capturing wild ones. And from what i've found, they actually don't lose levels until level 15 and up it looks like. so that strategy of powerleveling one and catching wilds works until level 15
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's designed that way by Blizzard.

Pets level 1-15 maintain their level when caught/battlestoned.
Pets level 16-20 lose 1 level when caught/battlestoned.
Pets level 21-25 lose 2 levels when caught/battlestoned.

It's possible to catch a level 25 pet, have it drop to 23, relevel it to 25, battlestone it and have it drop again to level 23. This could be a benefit, as leveling that same pet twice to 25 counts each time for the leveling achievements.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]