Clever **PVP** Uses for Alter Time

90 Undead Mage
Please add your own! Anything ranging from duels, BGs, world PvP, or arenas is applicable to this list!

I'll try to update this list with people's ideas.

• General tip when using Alter Time: Generate procs before using Alter Time so that you can reuse those procs when Alter Time ends. Also, look for ways to combine the methods in this list to get even more utility/damage from Alter Time. Some examples in the list below are included.
  • Obtain Hotstreak proc, cast Alter Time, cast Pyroblast, then Pyroblast again when Alter Time restores the Hostreak buff.
  • Use Alter Time to Instantly Cast 4 Pyroblasts. Obtain Hostreak proc, Cast Presence of Mind, Cast Alter Time, Cast Pyroblast twice, and then twice again after Alter Time restores Presence of Mind and Hotstreak.
  • Alter Time before incoming damage (For example: Right before a Warlock finishes casting Chaos Bolt at you)
  • Alter Time before an incoming shatter combo (Best to do if you have lots of junk buffs, otherwise good mages spellsteal the Alter Time buff).
  • Cast Alter Time, jump off a ledge in arena, and lure enemy players who jump after you. If done correctly, you will teleport back up to the top of the ledge while your enemy is stuck at the bottom. If the enemy decides to wait for your Alter Time to wear off so you teleport back to where they are, you can cancel your Alter Time buff. Either way, you escape. You can keybind the following macro to remove Alter Time: "/cancelaura Alter Time".
  • Cast Presence of Mind, Alter Time, and then cast Polymorph or Ring of Frost instantly, and then cast them instantly again when Alter Time ends (Note: Ring CD is not reset, so you can't double Ring. However, you can instant Ring one target and instant poly another) when Alter Time is finished.
  • Alter Time casted before Ice Block can remove the hypothermia debuff, allowing an instant block after the first one.
  • Use Alter Time before a CC lands to escape the CC. (For example: right before a Warlock fears you, cast Alter Time.)
  • In WSG, cast Alter Time after obtaining the speed boost buff in order to extend its duration when Alter Time resets.
  • Anticipate death grip and cast Alter Time before it in order teleport back to where you were thus negating Death Grip's effect. OR: Use blink and then Alter Time immediately in order to force the DK to use Deathgrip (Usually, if a DK sees a mage blink, he will Death Grip him instinctively).
  • Against rogues, you can Alter Time before shadow step as a way of kiting the rogue. Also possible to cast Alter Time and then blink to force Shadow Step.
  • When a warrior charges you, cast Alter Time and then blink. The warrior will then probably heroic leap to you, and you can nova him and teleport back to where you where initially.
  • Use Alter Time before using up a brain freeze proc or fingers of frost proc so that you get another after Alter Time ends.
  • Against Warriors, use Alter Time if nova is on CD during Avatar in order to avoid the damage.
  • On the ledge that overlooks the flag room in WSG or Twin Peaks, cast slow fall, cast Alter Time, cast invisibility and go pick up the flag. Port back onto the ledge.
  • If you are full HP and your Priest teammate is about to die, alter time, life swap, alter time. Now you're both full hp!
Edited by Eluss on 1/10/2013 12:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/09/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Eluss
Cast Presence of Mind, Alter Time, and then cast Polymorph or Ring of Frost instantly, and then do it again when Alter Time is finished. (Can anyone confirm PoM works with Alter Time?)

PoM does work with Alter Time, but the ring of frost CD will not reset when Alter time ends.

Also, you can alter time then ice block and you will not get the hypothermia debuff, so you can cold snap and ice block again right after.
Edited by Krueltyz on 10/9/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

PoM does work with Alter Time, but the ring of frost CD will not reset when Alter time ends.

Also, you can alter time then ice block and you will not get the hypothermia debuff, so you can cold snap and ice block again right after.

Ooh, very cool. I'll add that.
Edited by Eluss on 10/9/2012 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Before CC lands alter time out of that stuff yo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I always enjoy using it to avoid grip/step/charge etc
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/09/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink

...Why did that never occur to me O_o. Added.

10/09/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Tainaqt

So, for instance, you would anticipate a Death Grip, use the Alter Time before it, and then just teleport back to where you were? Is that what you meant?

How would you use it for Shadow Step? Alter time, blink, he steps to you, you go back?
Edited by Eluss on 10/9/2012 8:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
If the other team is turtling in the flag room in WSG I've grabbed the speed boost, popped alter time, ran in and as soon as I grabbed the flag was ported back to the buff area halfway down the tunnel and had a fresh speed boost to make it out into the field.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Getting rid of the hypothermia debuff is genius! I didn't think it would work like that. I might finally be able to survive readiness BM burst, woo!! =DDDDDD
Reply Quote
This is why I love our PVP 4 set bonus... 1.5m CD on Alter Time. Outstanding.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Posted by Jkspiritlink

I didnt think of it either, credit goes to Venruki.

I saw him alter time a blind.

THINK ABOUT HOW AMAZING THAT IS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/09/2012 08:25 PMPosted by Eluss

So, for instance, you would anticipate a Death Grip, use the Alter Time before it, and then just teleport back to where you were? Is that what you meant?

How would you use it for Shadow Step? Alter time, blink, he steps to you, you go back?

Yeah exactly like that, good fun
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Krueltyz
PoM does work with Alter Time

I tested it last night and it does :S

Pom alter time use insta cast alter time insta cats again.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/10/2012 02:46 AMPosted by Kaijinn
If the other team is turtling in the flag room in WSG I've grabbed the speed boost, popped alter time, ran in and as soon as I grabbed the flag was ported back to the buff area halfway down the tunnel and had a fresh speed boost to make it out into the field.

WHOA! That's ridiculous. Added.

Posted by Jkspiritlink

I didnt think of it either, credit goes to Venruki.

I saw him alter time a blind.

THINK ABOUT HOW AMAZING THAT IS.

That's like deathing a blind.. ridiculously hard to do. Venruki is leet tho' :P

Yeah exactly like that, good fun

Okay, adding.
Edited by Eluss on 10/10/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
10/10/2012 02:46 AMPosted by Kaijinn

0_o

Mother of Gawd...

Pure. Genius.

OP, keep this thread going - I hadn't even realized the half of these ideas were possible.
Edited by Jibbajabba on 10/10/2012 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Oh, I want to add that

/cancelaura Alter Time

will remove the alter time effect.

so say your in a Z-axis map and have melee on you. You jump off a ledge but they do NOT follow you off, you can hit the cancel aura macro and you will not be ported back to the top where they think they are cleverly waiting for you.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Warrior charge, Alter Time, Blink, he come to smash my cute face, frost nova, alter time, gg
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Oh, I want to add that

/cancelaura Alter Time

will remove the alter time effect.

so say your in a Z-axis map and have melee on you. You jump off a ledge but they do NOT follow you off, you can hit the cancel aura macro and you will not be ported back to the top where they think they are cleverly waiting for you.

Haha... so, it's a free escape either way. It can go one of two ways.. They follow you and you teleport back up OR they don't follow you and you can continue on your merry way.

Me gusta.

10/10/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Pinklord
Warrior charge, Alter Time, Blink, he come to smash my cute face, frost nova, alter time, gg

Ah, yeah that's a good trick for negating their opener. The only potential problem with this is that in duels warriors often ranged silence + charge so you won't be able get the Alter Time off immediately. I guess when the silence wears off you can do that.
Edited by Eluss on 10/10/2012 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Bump. Also, saw a mage use Alter Time to restore Brain Freeze proc and FoF procs. Will add that.

Anyone else have some uses not on the list?
Reply Quote
Alter Time, jump off ledge, have melee follow you, warp back. I've had warlocks do this too me enough that I starting to take some hints lol
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
My idea is a slight variation of something already mentioned (by Kaijinn) but which is especially useful against teams that are turtling in WSG or Twin Peaks.

On the ledge that overlooks the flag room (or in the hallway immediately connected to that ledge) I'll: slow fall myself, cast Alter Time, cast invisibility and go pick up the flag. I'll port pack into the hallway, the horde not even aware of what just took place.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]