"Failed to download the required file"

(Locked)

90 Draenei Warrior
I was playing earlier today and i disconnected. I play straight into the client and bypass the launcher because my University's internet security program describes the WoW launcher as BitTorrent. Anyway, when I attempted to go straight to the client, it didn't load. Instead a message box appeared and said checking for updates. It forced the launcher to load and it said I needed to update the launcher. For some reason, this didn't raise any red flags for the University so I wasn't kicked off the internet. I updated the launcher. However, whenever I try to load the client, it forces the launcher to load and i can't bypass it. If I load the launcher and try to let it do its thing, it's frozen at initializing for about 10 minutes then it says "Failed to download required file. Please check your internet connection and try again." This problem has occurred on both wired and wireless, on varying machines, and whether through a router or directly into a modem. I tried deleting all of the battle.net files under ProgramData with no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I really hope this gets fixed.
59 Undead Death Knight
1. Update the Agent and the Agent client (aka Blizzard Launcher):
http://patchup.info/Blizz/tools/Win/

2. Download the tfil:
http://patchup.info/wow/tfil/NA/

Once you've done both start the launcher and it should patch your game.
90 Orc Warrior
not working for me on a mac. downloaded both and replaced both files in the directory.
90 Orc Death Knight
Have the same issue, telling me "failed to Dl required file, close all programs and disable anti virus and try again...." nothing fixed it so far.
59 Undead Death Knight
10/10/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Angerissue
Have the same issue, telling me "failed to Dl required file, close all programs and disable anti virus and try again...." nothing fixed it so far.

The message that mentions disabling antivirus and closing programs is "Failed to read a required file." and not "failed to download a required file".

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794232898#7
90 Orc Death Knight
mine actually said failed to WRITE required file not DL.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Working great for me in opensuse linux 12.1, as per usual.

I just exit whatever wow-64.exe I'm running, then "wine wowwhatever-launcher.exe" It always patches or whatever fine.

But I'm not running a virus at the same time, the game is actually not installed (its just in a folder, which is the best way to run it.)

I have full permissions to the folder tree, etc.
90 Draenei Warrior
Barthus
You're a god.
Those downloads worked, thank you so much for understanding my University's network situation.
Tried those files but it was no good, starting to look like I'm gonna just have to suck it and do a fresh install.
100 Orc Death Knight
Wow its Working For Me.. Really Thx U !!!
85 Undead Rogue
Mine still isn't working at all, wtf.... please help!! I've tried all this! AHhhh
51 Worgen Hunter
I TRIED INSTALLING THE 2 FIXES AND THE .tfil FILE, AND STILL THE OPTIMIZATION LAUNCHER CRASHED WITH THE BRIEF CONNECTION ALSO. WHAT ELSE CAN I TRY???

I have tried wasting a week on the phone and with a tech over for my ATT DSL and Wireless service. They keep saying it's nothing wrong with my service or connection, but yet my laptop seems to want to drop connection all the time also, and WoW is not installed on it.
I have not had the privilege of actually being able to USE the MOP expansion I bought (along with the Lmt Ed Game Guise) since the day I got back from that shopping trip is exactly when my connection problem started. Irony.
If this is a problem on Blizz's end, I really hope they have the courtesy of giving everyone a free month of service for this non-stop nightmare!
59 Undead Death Knight
10/11/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Pandapup
I TRIED INSTALLING THE 2 FIXES AND THE .tfil FILE, AND STILL THE OPTIMIZATION LAUNCHER CRASHED WITH THE BRIEF CONNECTION ALSO. WHAT ELSE CAN I TRY???

You're probably getting a message that says "Failed to download a required update". If that's the case, it means the files in your Data folder are messed up and your best option may be deleting the entire data folder. The only problem is that since the game won't have any data to reuse, you will have to download around 20GB of data.

If the message you're seeing is the same as the OP, make sure you don't run the installer again after downloading the tfil. Just run the launcher and it should resume downloading.
Edited by Barthus on 10/11/2012 11:59 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
IT WORKED OH MY CHRIST! <333333333333333
90 Human Paladin
Barthus I did what you said and it still won't download the patch. Where can I do now?
90 Troll Druid
okay so when i opened wow from launcher it kept re-opening launcher and was really pissing me off so i deleted wow and went onto blizz website to download the game client but when i try to do that i hit the INSTALL button and then it comes up "Failed to download a required installation file (Http://dist.blizzard.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod/InstallData.Master.3a/Win/wow_enus_web_unencrypted_win.blob). Please check your internet connection and try again." and im incredibly confused here cause im terrible with computers and such so i need desperate help please guys. what should i do?
59 Undead Death Knight
10/13/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Crazycàt
okay so when i opened wow from launcher it kept re-opening launcher and was really pissing me off so i deleted wow and went onto blizz website to download the game client but when i try to do that i hit the INSTALL button and then it comes up "Failed to download a required installation file (Http://dist.blizzard.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod/InstallData.Master.3a/Win/wow_enus_web_unencrypted_win.blob). Please check your internet connection and try again." and im incredibly confused here cause im terrible with computers and such so i need desperate help please guys. what should i do?

That's a different issue. In most cases this is caused by a firewall not allowing Agent.exe to access the internet.
90 Troll Druid
so i should disable my firewall?
59 Undead Death Knight
10/13/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Crazycàt
so i should disable my firewall?

What firewall you have? The best option would be giving Agent.exe full access to the internet.
90 Troll Druid
im not sure, how would i check what firewall i have?? and how do i allow that i checked in some firewall options and i checked for agent.exe but i was unable to find it
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]