Paragon's Priest runs disc

90 Pandaren Priest
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/Jhazrun/simple

The Priest that ran with the group that was the first to clear Heroic MVaults, ran disc.

Nevermind that he's in shadow atm, check his gear, and check the rest of their crews lineup. He's definitely the healer.

I was noticing that he completely reforges everything to mastery, and I think that this could definitely be worth trying out.

EDIT: APPARENTLY for the final kill he was actually using Holy if you check the SS he clearly has Chakra. My question is do we think it's appropriate to run Disc vs Holy in some fights 10 man?
Edited by Theissu on 10/12/2012 3:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm guessing he is being brought for the utility of spirit shell/barrier/etc, not for any particular throughput reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm quite happy with discipline throughput in 10mans right now. The PoH buff + archangel stacking made Spirit Shell ludicrous, and even outside of it I do not feel like I am trailing the other healers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
10/12/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Cybele
I'm guessing he is being brought for the utility of spirit shell/barrier/etc, not for any particular throughput reasons.

What's wrong with that? :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
10/12/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Theissu
What's wrong with that? :)

Utility only makes half a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/12/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Hollywould

Sometimes a bit more utility is all you need to make a brick wall a pile of dust.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
10/12/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Dimeetri

Sometimes a bit more utility is all you need to make a brick wall a pile of dust.

Totally agree. I don't really see how any argument can be made that Disc is absolutely god awful when the best guild in the world uses it to clear their content?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Guys keep in mind that this was after the major disc priest fix and POH-POM buff D:

And with amazing skeelz as someone from paragon should have, a Disc priest has the potential to be borderline OP as healing support and utility. And also remember that disc priest most likely has equally amazing 'raw output healers' to back him up so he can go full support mode.

Keyword: Amazing skill
Edited by Zamboozle on 10/12/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
keep in mind, affinitii from vodka also played a disc priest instead of his normal (these days) monk in their kill of gara'jal at least.

that being said, the play of the extreme upper end of progression shouldn't signify the necessity or lack thereof of buffs or nerfs, those players are just out of this world. gotta look at at least the first... 1000 guilds together. :p
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
its the best way to reforge for ten men
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
keep in mind, affinitii from vodka also played a disc priest instead of his normal (these days) monk in their kill of gara'jal at least.

that being said, the play of the extreme upper end of progression shouldn't signify the necessity or lack thereof of buffs or nerfs, those players are just out of this world. gotta look at at least the first... 1000 guilds together. :p

Yup, and keep in mind Gara'jal is one of the fights where a disc priest when put on a tank, causes a 'gimmick' effect and makes them go off the charts in terms of effectiveness and damage prevention.

As for paragon 10s. Something like the below may work:

In a 10 anyway. A disc priest, if backed up by amazing raw output healers (of which paragon undoubtedly has), is basically a huge powerhouse of CDs. If the disc priest doesn't have to concern himself with healing normal raid damage. This is what happens.

Spirit Shell + Archangel CD + Inner Focus'ed (your choice of spell here) every 1 minute

Spirit Shell + Archangel + Power Infusion + Inner Focus'ed (your choice of spell here) every 2 minutes

Barrier

Pain Suppression

Shield

So every 1 minute the raid gets a major raid CD that can be combined with OTHER raid CDs. With a good tank CD, a good raid CD (fight depending) and absorbs, that's a ton of utility and raid saves. The only issue here is mana, mana mana mana. But if you have powerhouse-level healers backing you up, you can most probably regen safetly for that every one-minute burst.

And keep in mind this is a ten. Damage is lower, combined with POH spamming on only two groups (instead of 5 which spreads it out a lot more). Spirit Shell + Archangel is probably doing something amazing in terms of damage saved. And you don't have to use it every 1 minutes...it is available every one minute. So if you line it up with boss phases...I can see where a disc can be powerful in a 10.

This is, of course, me grasping at straws.
Edited by Zamboozle on 10/12/2012 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yes, their other healer is a holy pally which in terms of pure output is probably the absolute strongest for 10 man atm. So you are correct.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
The priest was actually Holy / Disc yesterday shortly after their kill according to the armory with Holy being the active spec.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
10/12/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Ishen
The priest was actually Holy / Disc yesterday shortly after their kill according to the armory with Holy being the active spec.

Gonna need a pic boiyo. I checked his profile yesterday too, and didn't see holy at all.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I feel like I'm stalking you Zamboozle ;)

In a 10 anyway. A disc priest, if backed up by amazing raw output healers (of which paragon undoubtedly has), is basically a huge powerhouse of CDs. If the disc priest doesn't have to concern himself with healing normal raid damage. This is what happens.

Spirit Shell + Archangel CD + Inner Focus'ed (your choice of spell here) every 1 minute

Spirit Shell + Archangel + Power Infusion + Inner Focus'ed (your choice of spell here) every 2 minutes

Barrier

Pain Suppression

Shield

So every 1 minute the raid gets a major raid CD that can be combined with OTHER raid CDs. With a good tank CD, a good raid CD (fight depending) and absorbs, that's a ton of utility and raid saves. The only issue here is mana, mana mana mana. But if you have powerhouse-level healers backing you up, you can most probably regen safetly for that every one-minute burst.

And keep in mind this is a ten. Damage is lower, combined with POH spamming on only two groups (instead of 5 which spreads it out a lot more). Spirit Shell + Archangel is probably doing something amazing in terms of damage saved. And you don't have to use it every 1 minutes...it is available every one minute. So if you line it up with boss phases...I can see where a disc can be powerful in a 10.

This is, of course, me grasping at straws.

I've never had to have another healer carry my hps in this tier of raiding: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/110189/

And damage isn't simply lower for 10s. It's a higher overall in 25s, but the amount of damage that needs to be healed per player is actually lower in 25s if you're 2 healing these 10s. The amount that needs to be healer per player is lower if you're 3 healing a 10.

But I'm seeing and agreeing with all your opinions you've been vocal about over the past 2 days because of the timeless 25 man struggle that disc has always struggled with. And exceedingly large portion of these struggles is coming from prayer of healing and its party restriction. But that's me grasping at straws as well.

Another opinion I have (for both 10s and 25s) is that a disc priest is better served speccing divine insight and babysitting the tanks for a lot of these fights rather than rolling out heavy absorbs for predictable aoe. This is just the nature of how aoe is being dished out this tier.
Edited by Twistedmind on 10/12/2012 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
When you're at that skill level, your group tanks less damage because the players you're with are good.

For the average person, a raid will take necessary damage, there'll be screw ups, missed clicks/fat fingered wrong buttons, lag, etc
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Sorry, wasn't trying to call you a liar. He definitely had a Holy spec at some point yesterday. You can see his Shadow spec is for pvp.

Anyway, here's Paragon's video of Heroic Gara'jal (http://www.paragon.fi/news/garajal-10hc-video). You can tell he's healing as Disc here. I'd love to know how he avoids going oom.
Edited by Ishen on 10/12/2012 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Sorry, wasn't trying to call you a liar. He definitely had a Holy spec at some point yesterday. You can see his Shadow spec is for pvp.

Anyway, here's Paragon's video of Heroic Gara'jal (http://www.paragon.fi/news/garajal-10hc-video). You can tell he's healing as Disc here. I'd love to know how he avoids going oom.

I imagine the 12k+ Spirit he has in raids helps a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
It looks like he does run oom, multiple times. there are two priests, and three druids in the raid, so that's three innervates possibly 6 because of the 3 min CD and two hymn of hopes, plus mindbender on CD and at least one pot.

however, i want to know near 3:36 he goes into the spirit world and has no mana, and comes out with full at 3:41- does that mean there's a way to get mana while in the spirit world?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

however, i want to know near 3:36 he goes into the spirit world and has no mana, and comes out with full at 3:41- does that mean there's a way to get mana while in the spirit world?

That is the gimmick for the spiritbinder fight =) You regen incredibly fast by going into the spirit realm and gaining a buff called Spiritual Intervention.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]