Regarding the Inscribed Serpent Staff quest.

(Locked)

90 Orc Warlock
I posted this in the Quests forum but I'm not confident that it will be considered there, or even read. After reading the other threads on this subject, I'm not happy with Blizzard's response and would like well thought out and reasonable response. This is a customer service related issue, after all.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794213618

---------

I'm in the exact same boat.

After making about 12 Scrolls, I got sick of seeing all my friends having already crafted their own epics and I discovered the quest to make more Scrolls.

I then spent days farming Motes of Spirits so I could get this staff just a few days earlier. After countless hours of mindless AoE, I finally crafted this bad boy and was presented with a quest - "take this to the guy a get 10 Scrolls of Wisdom back" - what an amazing surprise! I knew this huge grind wasn't going to be a massive waste of time and gold.

I rushed to hand it in only to find that it destroyed my staff - I'm sure you can imagine my face when I realised.

WHAT!? The staff is BoA? Why would I ever want to destroy it when I have multiple alts who aren't scribes which can use it? Why would it not give a warning when destroying this item which I made only moments ago? Why would my purple weapon be a quest item in my bag with a "!" on it? At a glimpse, I assumed it was a quest to reward me for my long-time suffering and to finally finish the craft.

Yes, I'll admit to not reading the quest. I normally don't; unlike Mityaphrdite, I don't care for the story and I like to level with speed and efficiency.

I feel like an idiot, especially after the fact the I spent days farming 30 Spirits of Harmony and 60 Starlight Inks just to make a few extra Scrolls. I watched other scribe friends use these mats to make countless hundreds of thousands of gold on the Auction House, make cards for their trinkets and so on, but I persisted - I had already committed to this staff which, let's face it, probably doesn't have a very long life-span as it is.

Reading the same story on these boards upsets me even further. People are laying into us and think that claiming negligence is a good enough reason for us to give up on all the effort that was put into this task. You didn't feel the rush after finally crafting it and seeing a quest to earn 10 more Scrolls; we were blinded by the sheer thrill of it all; it's only human.

Now, what really !@#$s me off, and I believe I speak for everyone here, is that not only do we have to wait 4+ days to even have our query acknowledged but now I see a blue post saying a GM won't "generally restore quest items"

So what? Why does everyone else get to restore their items after a blunder? Why do we have to suffer, especially after this weapon is one of the longest the make in the game at the moment. Is it because your back-end won't allow you to restore it? Just magic up a new one and the the quest rewards back! We realise that we'd made mistakes and that's exactly what the item restoration tool is for.

The more I (we) have to wait the more upsetting it becomes. I gave up so much of my spare time and potential gold for this minor upgrade and being told that it can't be restored for no apparent reason really makes me want to just throw in the towel and give up on this game and Blizzard. And let's not even get started on the delay for the ink trader hot fix...

I look forward to talking to the GM who finally gets back to me, whenever that might be.
Edited by Rworange on 10/11/2012 10:20 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794732856?page=2#24

"Unfortunately, our In-Game Support department is generally not able to restore items that are used in quests.

If you feel the item itself, the quest or any associated mechanics with it should be changed I'd recommend posting in the Quest forum so our Developers can review your constructive feedback."
Edited by Ravenhawke on 10/11/2012 10:30 PM PDT
64 Tauren Death Knight
10/11/2012 10:19 PMPosted by Rworange
This is a customer service related issue, after all.

No, it's a quest issue, caused by people not reading quests.
If you have feedback about the quest, it belongs in the quest forum.

I believe I speak for everyone here

Absolutely not.
90 Draenei Monk
It's supposed to get you back a few of the scrolls used to make the item in the first place. You use 20 to make the staff. You get 10 back by destroying the staff.

I wish they'd not have made the item a quest item in the first place, because it's going to aggravate me to no end seeing that ! there, but nothing I can do about it.

It was your own fault, honestly.
90 Pandaren Mage
it can't be restored for no apparent reason

It can't be restored because players were warned that it would be lost upon turning in the quest. Blizzard doesn't restore quest items. They restore equipment that has been vendored or disenchanted, but not quest items.
90 Orc Warlock
I believe I speak for everyone here

Absolutely not.[/quote]

You're clearly not the one with the issue here.

10/11/2012 10:29 PMPosted by Reshaari
It was your own fault, honestly.

And I take full responsibility, and so has everyone else who have come up against this. However, it's absolutely retarded that we're punished because it's a "quest item" and not one that's been deleted/disenchanted. Why does it honestly matter? Why can they not just make us a new staff, delete the quest rewards and keep their customers happy? Why do they even have an item restoration tool? Clearly this is one of the first items in the game that works like this and it wasn't taken into consideration - is that my fault?
90 Orc Warlock
10/11/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Trehtik
it can't be restored for no apparent reason

It can't be restored because players were warned that it would be lost upon turning in the quest. Blizzard doesn't restore quest items. They restore equipment that has been vendored or disenchanted, but not quest items.

Players are also warned that items will be deleted after you have to type the word "DELETE" but that's not going to stop your younger brother deleting it because you had a fight with him.

If this isn't what customer service is for then I honestly don't know what is.
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/11/2012 10:55 PMPosted by Rworange
Why can they not just make us a new staff

Because contrary to popular belief, a GM can not simply create an item out of thin air for you.

10/11/2012 10:55 PMPosted by Rworange
Why do they even have an item restoration tool?

For players who vendored/deleted normal items, and to take pressure of the GM's by players submitting ticket after ticket asking for items to be restored. Sadly some players never learn and constantly request restorations.

There are a lot of new things in the expansion, all the more reason to take the extra few moments to fully understand the quest text.
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/11/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Rworange
Players are also warned that items will be deleted after you have to type the word "DELETE" but that's not going to stop your younger brother deleting it because you had a fight with him.

Actually it would be the players fault for either 1. leaving wow logged in and the PC unlocked, for the little brother to do such a thing, or 2. allowing the younger brother to know the password to log in.
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/11/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Rworange
If this isn't what customer service is for then I honestly don't know what is

Customer service is not about granting every request that a player asks for. It really isn't.

This is a primary reason of policies, to ensure customers are treated equally but still (edit: within) boundaries.
Edited by Nephe on 10/11/2012 11:03 PM PDT
90 Orc Warlock
I'm clearly not the only person who skim reads quests. Why has this issue not been addressed before now instead of side-stepped?

I hear what you're saying; there are rules and regulations in place and I understand why but am I, and I'm sure the dozens of other people who have gone through this, supposed to be happy with "LOL, better luck next time pal."

I work in the Telco industry and I know that rules can be bent. I know that if the need arises, customers can be compensated, even if they are at fault for even the dumbest queries. If they can't restore the staff or magic it out of thin air, why not just give us some extra mats to make a new one?

And all this for what loss to Blizzard? None.
90 Orc Warlock

Actually it would be the players fault for either 1. leaving wow logged in and the PC unlocked, for the little brother to do such a thing, or 2. allowing the younger brother to know the password to log in.

What I'm saying is that anything could happen which can bypass these security measures set by Blizzard. But what about when those fail, for whatever reason? What's the back up plan? Tell the customer that it's their fault and that they aren't worth the hassle?

(I haven't spoken to a GM yet, this is only an assumption at this stage.)
Edited by Rworange on 10/11/2012 11:13 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
If Blizzard bends the rules for you, they have to do it for everybody. That is not their policy. You are treated the same way as everyone else.

Tthis is not a CS issue. If you want policy changes, make a constructive post in General or Quests. The CS Mods are not liaisons with the devs nor do they forward feedback.

BTW, I think you missed this
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794732856?page=2#24

The blues have made a comment about this already
Edited by Ravenhawke on 10/11/2012 11:16 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/11/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Rworange
And all this for what loss to Blizzard? None.

Actually, it's all about maintaining the integrity of the game environment. If they start bending the rules and giving players this and that for their "mistakes" or whatever then that becomes the end of it. You'll see more and more players without any sense of responsibility because "hey, I don't care, Blizzard will replace it!" and a massive blowout in GM ticket times and already stretched CS resources because of the careless attitudes.
90 Orc Warlock
Hi Ravenhawke,

This post came from one that is already in the Quests forum. This particular issue doesn't seem like it even has set boundaries to be bent as it sounds like it's one of the first times it has happened.

Until there's a concrete rule stating that this particular item will never be restored, that it can never be duplicated or anything of the sort, I will remain unhappy.

As I'm sure I would have been one of the first to make this staff due to the 20 daily token requirement, I'm sure there will be a multitude of other skim readers to follow suite.
90 Pandaren Mage
10/11/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Rworange
why not just give us some extra mats to make a new one?

Because YOU turned in the quest when it warned you that you would lose the item, NOT Blizzard.

Blizzard is doing less and less hand-holding in each expansion, and I am glad they are. It is the responsibility of the player to read the quest. Blizzard has done their part and informed the player they will lose the item when they turn the quest in.
90 Orc Warlock
You're missing the point. I know I screwed up and I never once said I wasn't at fault.

Blizzard need to acknowledge that in some cases their measures from preventing players from making mistakes don't always work.

We're wasting our breath - we can now only wait for a GM's response. It pisses me off enough as it is having to wait over 4 days to even hear from one.
90 Pandaren Mage
10/11/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Rworange
Blizzard need to acknowledge that in some cases their measures from preventing players from making mistakes don't always work.

In Wrath, there were so many complaints on this forum that people just clicked straight through the confirmation window to spend their frost points on something they didn't actually want.

Blizzard cannot win, really. They add confirmation windows, people cry. They add things in the quest that specifically say you will lose the item, people cry. I think they have finally figured out they need to make the players more responsible.
90 Tauren Hunter

If this isn't what customer service is for then I honestly don't know what is.

It actually is NOT the same thing. You turned in a quest that had the following wording: As powerful it is, at some point you know you will outgrow this staff. When that time comes, one of the Inkmasters in the Arboretum would most likely be interested in taking it from you.

Yes, that is a two sentence quest that you didn't bother to read....but apparently you read enough to see you were gonna get 10 scrolls of wisdom back, just not the body of the quest that said you have to give it to the inkmaster.....

I don't know what you expect of the ppl at Blizzard. It explicitly says in the quest that you are giving it to the inkmaster when you turn in the quest. What did you think the inkmaster was giving you 10 scrolls for? Just so he could see your beautiful staff?
Edited by Caladynus on 10/12/2012 12:27 AM PDT
87 Troll Hunter
10/11/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Rworange
You're missing the point.

No, we're not. We're disagreeing with you. There is a large difference between the two.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]