Guide to Challenge Mode GOLD runs

100 Orc Death Knight
Rewards:
Each challenge mode rewards valor (35-60 depending on ranking iirc)

All bronzes = Title: The Undaunted.

All silvers = Pandaren Phoenix Mount, your choice of four, this is CHARACTER SPECIFIC like pvp mounts. you can see them in game directly outside the lorewalkers in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

All golds = Class specific Transmog set. You'll need to use wowhead or mmo champion to see these, youtube also has videos showcasing the special spell effects they each have (very cool), and in game there are dummies wearing the helms and shoulders on one of the upper level balconies in your faction's Shrine.
Edited by Marza on 10/19/2012 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You can see you own mog set on the vendor that sells it. Same npc that gives the daily quest
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Each gold achievement also rewards a teleport to that instance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Nice to see you made a thread on this! (ciaossu from gaf here)

They've been so much harder than I anticipated, only 1 silver and 1 bronze so far, but I think we'll keep doing these throughout the whole expansion since you can't really outgear them.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Thanks for the thread, liked + stickied.
Challenge modes are fun, not sure how I feel about healing them as a resto druid though. We're certainly capable, the single target healing just gets a little scary sometimes lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Thanks (:
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I think they fixed the invisibility potion bit in scarlet halls. I immediately get knocked out of potion stealth and get attacked as soon as I pass the first archway. Didn't get hit by the cannons either.
Edited by Tritonis on 10/22/2012 5:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
This is great!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have a question, does using PvP gear get updated to PvE stats? I have a bunch of friends that are wanting to do but won't ever farm better than the blue/epic gear. Is the gear scaled up or do we have to go farm 463 gear to get the best shot at clearing them?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
10/23/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Sunryse
I have a question, does using PvP gear get updated to PvE stats? I have a bunch of friends that are wanting to do but won't ever farm better than the blue/epic gear. Is the gear scaled up or do we have to go farm 463 gear to get the best shot at clearing them?

No gear is scaled up.,only down. Epic pvp gear is fine for challenge modes but blue isn't high enough ilvl. Going for golds you need all the help you can get first time around.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10/23/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Telepathy

No gear is scaled up.,only down. Epic pvp gear is fine for challenge modes but blue isn't high enough ilvl. Going for golds you need all the help you can get first time around.

Ah, thanks a ton, guess we'll have to farm some heroics. Should be good practice for the timed runs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
What an amazingly helpful set of guides. I not only got a great deal of insight for the challenge modes, but many of the tactics you employ translate to the "heroic" versions as well. I tend to feel that the WoW community as a whole has deteriorated to a "me me me" "need need need" lot of selfish and mostly unskilled baddies, but you have demonstrated that there are some great players who aren't too full of themselves to share. Your group is fun to watch (well. . . as fun as any WoW video can be). You work together well and it is inspiring. I'm curious how many attempts on each instance it took for you to get gold?
On our server, most of the instances don't even have a "realm best." And only a few have bronze completions. My guildies and I went in, and after getting trounced a few times, gave up. I referred the group to this page. I imagine it will help quite a bit and save us a lot of the mistakes you had to endure while learning.

Thank you for the detailed guides and thank you for sharing them with the rest of us.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
What an amazingly helpful set of guides. I not only got a great deal of insight for the challenge modes, but many of the tactics you employ translate to the "heroic" versions as well. I tend to feel that the WoW community as a whole has deteriorated to a "me me me" "need need need" lot of selfish and mostly unskilled baddies, but you have demonstrated that there are some great players who aren't too full of themselves to share. Your group is fun to watch (well. . . as fun as any WoW video can be). You work together well and it is inspiring. I'm curious how many attempts on each instance it took for you to get gold?
On our server, most of the instances don't even have a "realm best." And only a few have bronze completions. My guildies and I went in, and after getting trounced a few times, gave up. I referred the group to this page. I imagine it will help quite a bit and save us a lot of the mistakes you had to endure while learning.

Thank you for the detailed guides and thank you for sharing them with the rest of us.

Wow thanks for the kind words! I just like to talk about stuff haha.

As far as attempts...I don't know that I could guess. Many of the attempts end literally within seconds. I could give timeframes a lot better, but it also is highly dependent on the fact that as you do more you become more skilled (mostly in tricks and trash clearing) and each run gets easier.

I wasn't present for all of the learning attempts on every zone, so the best I could do are estimates, obviously comp dependent as well.

Scarlet Monastery took about 16 hours
Stormstout Brewery took about 4 hours
Mogu'shan took about 3 hours due to ledge and invis pot issues.
Almost all of the rest took about 2 hours.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Is the last boss of Stormstout really just the ridiculous zerg-fest that it seems to be? It just seems like such a stupid fight compared to everything else which while it takes speed / good dps, they also take skill and finesse. Yan-Zhu the Uncasked feels like the new "Gotta Go!" which if you remember that in its original incarnation, was just as ridiculously stupid in my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
You can just as easily do Yan-Zhu while killing adds, that's just not AS feasible for a gold time (realistically, you would only kill whichever adds you acn't cover the beams for, which is far less than killing all of them). He's actually very easy, this is nowhere NEAR as bad as Gotta Go...The first time we got to him with enough time on the run is when we got gold (and the only time we killed him prior to that was as a test run to make sure we would have the dps to do it, which we easily did).
Edited by Marza on 10/23/2012 9:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Echoing what Marza said, the last boss is a joke if you 1) Have the DPS (and as you see by the video, the DPS requirement is quite high) or 2) you have proper strategy with blocking the heal to give you the extra time needed to kill the boss if you don't have quite that much DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
It's not really a DPS check of being good, though, it's a DPS check of "did you bring classes with a ton of cooldowns to burst him <1min." We don't have a DK to AotD, a hunter to pop zoo, etc. so it's not quite as easy to pull that off.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
It's not really a DPS check of being good, though, it's a DPS check of "did you bring classes with a ton of cooldowns to burst him <1min." We don't have a DK to AotD, a hunter to pop zoo, etc. so it's not quite as easy to pull that off.
Would be curious what your comp is. You don't HAVE to kill him that fast, you can stand in more beams or kill an inconveniently placed add. We had specific positioning for each player. I won't say there's no dps requirement - like I said in the video Stormstout is tightly tuned compared to others, but I think it's a given that you need high dps to do these. It can definitely be worked around though. Will cook up a quick MS paint in a sec to diagram.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Tonight for that fight we had myself, a demo warlock, 2 spriests and a paladin tank. It's also frustrating how sometimes an add will angle a healing beam upwards over your head, or sometimes when you jump the beam doesn't stick and goes to the boss, other times it does; one time we had an add spawn IN THE AIR, making it impossible to block his beam at all.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Yeah the jumping is buggy with the beams, just don't jump. I noted that in the video for that reason, I REALLY wish it wouldn't happen.

Here is a chart of how you would position, making a few assumptions that I don't have time to test, but I've made charts for two eventualities:

The basic layout of the boss' room is here:
http://i.imgur.com/dpbVk.png
An add spawns on each of the outer 12 circles potentially, their order is random but 12 adds is all he will ever spawn.

So, I've never had to test this, but I THEORIZE that if you stand directly in the center of one of the middle circles, near where I'm standing in our video for most of it, you can absorb three beams. If this is the case, your layout would look like this, with stars representing players:
http://i.imgur.com/ApPtz.png
You have a fifth floater and you never have to kill an add. I'm not positive if this works, but I do know you can be inside the circle and soak two, so unless dead center is just BARELY out of range of both the side beams, it should get all three.
Edit: This image is slightly off, the boss is a lot smaller than this makes him look. You should be directly in line with the corner beam, but basically humping the boss. Make a diamond/square around him and you also should be able to avoid blasting each other with Bloat.

HOWEVER, if that is not possible, I am absolutely positive that you can soak any two adjascent beams. You would then, make a layout like this, with the purple star representing a pet (which is easy to position since they need to be exactly opposite the tank):
http://i.imgur.com/IMFXD.png

FINALLY, if you don't have a pet or have issues getting the pet on the beam, 12 adds is an absurd amount and at that point you're definitely taking way too long on this boss :) Worst case scenario, with no pets and inability to triple soak (since I haven't tested that), youwould use this 6 soak strat and simply leave a hole where no adds spawn for as long as possible. It will still allow you to go through five sets of double spawn adds (he spawns in pairs on challenge mode) before you're overwhelmed with the sixth set, PLENTY of time.
Edited by Marza on 10/23/2012 11:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]