Guide to Challenge Mode GOLD runs

90 Pandaren Mage
Thanks for the info, your videos are very informative, this boss is just proving to be a pain. We'll try some other things out.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
The last two trash packs and the last boss in Stormstout brewery is the only instance in which we actually 5 DPS.

It might not be an option for you to run 5 DPS on that trash like we did, but the output of the last boss is really low. One hybrid and the tank being in a beam should set you up for a kill. I would throw PW:Shields on the tank and rotate VE between your shadow priests. During the waves just have have your priests sit in it and dispersion so that you don't risk the beam going all wonky. I think we killed him right as the second set of brew waves were coming out.

We didn't have lust for that boss (or any challenge mode) and we made out just fine.
Edited by Gròmmash on 10/23/2012 11:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for this thread. We'll get use out of it. =)
Reply Quote
Bumping for All
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Loved this Guide,

Our comp was a little different then the one you did Marza. Therefore, we had to change around a few things we did to compensate for using a prot pally as opposed to a blood DK. Otherwise though these videos gave us great insight and at least gave us a starting strategy for most instances.

We ran with a Prot Pally, Frost DK, Resto Druid, Aff/Demon lock and BM Hunter. Stormstout took us the longest amount of time to perfect, but when we finally got it, it was a huge sigh of relief. At the start we were all afraid of Shado-Pan, but to our surprise, that was the one that took us the smallest amount of time/attempts.

Thanks a bunch,
-Psychø
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Thanks for these videos. One gold left, not using a DK is probably making it tougher than it needs to be, but we managed to knock them out. Vids help a lot.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Loved this Guide,

Our comp was a little different then the one you did Marza. Therefore, we had to change around a few things we did to compensate for using a prot pally as opposed to a blood DK. Otherwise though these videos gave us great insight and at least gave us a starting strategy for most instances.

We ran with a Prot Pally, Frost DK, Resto Druid, Aff/Demon lock and BM Hunter. Stormstout took us the longest amount of time to perfect, but when we finally got it, it was a huge sigh of relief. At the start we were all afraid of Shado-Pan, but to our surprise, that was the one that took us the smallest amount of time/attempts.

Thanks a bunch,
-Psychø

Yeah that matched our experience, we were wary of Shado-Pan and saved that and Stormstout for last, but Shado Pan took only a handful of attempts while Stormstout took hours.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Thanks for these, we did dry runs on everything without looking information, and we found "Surprises" with new mechanics or packs, and referencing your guide after our silver level runs, will definitely be helping us push into gold soon.
Reply Quote
32 Goblin Priest
Cheers for this, those vids are a great help. I have one question though about invisibility potions. If I can quote from the second page...

10/22/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Tritonis
I think they fixed the invisibility potion bit in scarlet halls. I immediately get knocked out of potion stealth and get attacked as soon as I pass the first archway. Didn't get hit by the cannons either.

Does anybody know if invis pots still work? I've heard a few times that they may not, but haven't been able to find any info. I'm just assuming they will but it'd be good to know before waltzing in and seeing for myself.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Loved this Guide,

Thanks a bunch,
-Psychø

Yeah that matched our experience, we were wary of Shado-Pan and saved that and Stormstout for last, but Shado Pan took only a handful of attempts while Stormstout took hours.

Shado-pan proved more annoying for our group than Storm did. We ran Prot Pally, Disc priest, demo lock, frost mage, frost dk. The sha in there was really crappy healing as Disc, much more annoying than expected. Ended up switching to holy before that fight to kill it off. Much easier that way for sure. Only issue is it takes 20seconds + drink time to do so. It can cut things really close if you are slow anywhere.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Are you the Marzana I was in Uprising with 3 years ago?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight

Does anybody know if invis pots still work? I've heard a few times that they may not, but haven't been able to find any info. I'm just assuming they will but it'd be good to know before waltzing in and seeing for myself.

They do still work you just need to be always careful with them.

Invisibility potions have a fading time and any action taken while under the effect will knock you out. It's really easy to do considering habits of buffing while effectively doing nothing, I know I've popped horn of winter under the effect a few times.

Lastly pets and temporary pets can cause problems with them. Make sure you dismiss pets and make sure you don't have temporary pets running. The most common culprits for those of you who run these dungeons with Blood DKs or Warlocks are the imps or blood worms. At the end of some packs/bosses I'll stop doing melee attacks for a bit just to make sure I don't have any blood worms out while I invisibility potions. A lot of the time the worms will aggro something (you will get in combat), die and then you will drop combat. Sometimes however if a party member is standing too close to the aggro point they will drop invisibility and eat it.

Most people invisibility pot the cannon room in SH so it might possibly be a random cannon shot that knocks you out of invisibility. Much like the arrows in shadow pan they can knock you out of stealth without seeing them.

The videos the OP posted are really good and remove a lot of the ground work people might need to figure out with multiple test runs.

I'll throw one tip for Scarlet Halls that I don't think a lot of people do but we found it does save a lot of time. Guardians (the shield dudes) should be CCd and pulled after you AoE down the two large packs in the instance. They disarm your tank, take 90% less damage to AoE and upon aggro increase the health of everything in the pack by 10%. We typically would hard CC them, AoE the pack down and then single target that one down at the end. This is especially useful for DK tanks because being disarmed !@#$ing blows.

Normally we just AoE most packs but this is the only instance where I think it's faster to CC an individual mob. Considering the pack roaming the halls after Harland is a 7 (might be 8 I forget) that's 60-70% less HP you have to chew threw on each individual mob, and it does make a difference. Especially considering how dangerous these packs are.
Edited by Gròmmash on 10/27/2012 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
32 Goblin Priest
Thanks Grommash, that'll all be very helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Hey Grommash i have a question for siege how you said its not worth using invis pots if i were to invis my grp then at the end they invis would it be worth it?
what im really diggin at here is how do u know how much u can skip?
because theres a limit right?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
10/27/2012 01:08 AMPosted by Digerati
Thanks for these videos. One gold left, not using a DK is probably making it tougher than it needs to be, but we managed to knock them out. Vids help a lot.

Finished tonight, thanks again for the guides. Huge timesaver.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
I never really got to make use of the videos that the OP listed because we were nearly done when they were posted, but I suggest watching them as it gives a good idea as to how to do siege properly.

To answer the question though there just isn't much that's worthwhile to skip via invisibility potions. The tree portion can all be done really quick with chain pulling (with help from the amber residue) and the trash after the event can be skipped if you time the patrols right.

You use bombs and every CD you possibly can to AoE down the 3 packs on the third boss.

Lastly you can't skip anything on the bridge because it's required to do the last boss anyways. Although I will mention that we hard CCd the last pack of mobs on that bridge and pulled the boss anyways.

If you do all of the necessary pulls in the tree, skip the trash after the event boss and then proceed to use bombs to wipe out all three packs during the third boss.. well you should hit your mob requirement half way through the bridge. Put that altogether and it's just not worth using an invisibility potion.

Just to save some time I'll list invisibility potion usage.

18 second invisibility potions: Shadow-Pan and Scarlet Monastery

15 second invisibility potions: Mogu'Shan, Temple of the Jade Serpent, Scholomance, Scarlet Halls

No invisibility potions: Stormstout brewery, Siege of Nizauo, and Gate of the Setting Sun
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
Using these guides for my group, almost done and has been very helpful! :D though a few points for others trying it.

Scholomance: We found Gandling MUCH easier by just stacking on him and AoEing the adds ontop of him. They dont hit too hard as long as you kill them fast. Also in your video you say you cant control undead anything in there but you can control the corpses before Jandice which is a pretty significant dps increase overall if you happen to have a DK.

Stormstout: If your having troubles with the big monkeys smashing up your tank on that first pull, you can pull the first 5 from the first room together, kill the channels on them AoE stun them then keep going. Leave one dps in the room with the barrels (ranged at the top of the stairs) and he/she can set off the barrels on them for stun and pick off the last few. This also lets your tank just tank all the non leet ones if your healer is up to it. This shaved a good 20 seconds off our time doing it this way due to added tank dps and better positioning for barrels and landed us the gold.

Im sure there is more but those are the main tips I can think of. hopefully getting my set tomorrow! :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Requested sticky on this. Great guide.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
10/28/2012 05:38 AMPosted by Staticz
Stormstout: If your having troubles with the big monkeys smashing up your tank on that first pull, you can pull the first 5 from the first room together, kill the channels on them AoE stun them then keep going.

That's what we had to do too. Even though 10-15 seconds of it would go to waste, we could hero on that first pull and it'd be up again for the boss, which offset some of the loss of pulling them separately.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
10/28/2012 11:26 AMPosted by Digerati
Stormstout: If your having troubles with the big monkeys smashing up your tank on that first pull, you can pull the first 5 from the first room together, kill the channels on them AoE stun them then keep going.

That's what we had to do too. Even though 10-15 seconds of it would go to waste, we could hero on that first pull and it'd be up again for the boss, which offset some of the loss of pulling them separately.

We actually didn't end up using hero on the first pack. We did for a while but ended up deciding it was too tight. We didn't want to run the chance that we would get there early and then not have hero on the pull on the last boss. we managed to down the monkeys just fine without it though so it all works out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]