Role scores for randoms

100 Human Paladin
Let's go beyond simple item level to determine the quality of player for dungeons and raids.

We need a skill rating determined by having each player, in their prospective role, doing battle against a virtual (artificial) boss or virtual instance group (where the player and virtual instance group cannot be killed). This wouldn't be a very rigorous test, but a better approximation than simple item level (since anyone can obtain gear). Perhaps this is a job for the Gnomes and Goblins to create these testing arenas/scenarios.

This rating would be determined:

for damage dealing roles:

1) Ability to create damage (dps)
2) Staying out of damage over time spots (don't stand in the fire)
3) Ability to not pull threat off of tank
4) Not 'Dying'

for tank roles:

1) Ability to create and hold threat
2) Keeping boss out of damage over time spots (don't make your ground stand in the fire)
3) picking up aggro for adds
4) Not 'Dying'

for Healing roles:

1) Ability to keep your virtual team alive
2) Staying ot of damage over time spots
3) Not pulling threat off of your tank
4) Not 'Dying'

There would be some calculation, determined by blizzard, between these points that would output a score for each player in that role. You start with a perfect score and points are deducted for errors.

There could possibly be a (very low) minimum score to get into PUG heroics and/or a slightly higher one to get into LFR raids. The normal PUG instances would not make use of this score.

The score could also determine to some degree either queue position or loot quality if using PUG/LFR and could be a badge of honor (player achievement(s)) for the very highest of scores. These ratings as well could be used for player improvement in a closed environment (where they are not effecting/wiping other players) if the player so chooses.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Everyone was a noob once. I learned how to tank because someone was patient enough to give me a few pointers in the middle of a pug. Things like "use a shield", "be in defensive stance", and "put up three sunders".

These days, normals are rather trivial when leveling and you don't really get much opportunity to improve.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
If you want to be picky about who you run dungeons with, form your own groups instead of joining LFD that allows players of all skill levels to join in the spirit of helping each other learn and have fun during the times they are not able to play with their friends/family/guildmates
Edited by Zaxan on 10/13/2012 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
or Healing roles:

1) Ability to keep your virtual team alive
2) Staying ot of damage over time spots
3) Not pulling threat off of your tank
4) Not 'Dying'

Just wanna point out, not dying isn't ALWAYS the healer's fault. 90% of the time my groups wipe is because of an idiot tank or a stupid dps who would pull when they shouldn't. I've had a few wipes or deaths while still learning, but I'm learning now aren't I. This wouldn't work no matter what because there are factors that are not under our control. Bad lag, stupid popups on the computer causing a dead 5 seconds of which aggro can be lost, people can die.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Everyone was a noob once. I learned how to tank because someone was patient enough to give me a few pointers in the middle of a pug. Things like "use a shield", "be in defensive stance", and "put up three sunders".

These days, normals are rather trivial when leveling and you don't really get much opportunity to improve.

Exactly.

This is why having a single player scenario or instance that would teach the basics of each role would be wonderful. Then provide a rating of how well they did in their respective role.

It would work to show beginners how to play each role on their specific character and could be used for more advanced players to further their skill in a safe environment (if scaled upwards).

This would be a painless, costless (in repairs) method of showing either we know the general basics of what we are doing in our role or we need some more practice without involving anyone else.

It would reward no points, marks, or badges... only output a grade/rating at the end, possibly color coded next to a bar showing possible overall performance.

I see many tanks and, in some cases, damage and healing roles in PUGs who are very unfamiliar with their choice of role. It seems, for the tanks and in some cases the healers, a lot of them are in that role simply because the queue time is dramatically lower... and they both don't know how to tank/heal nor even have the gear for it.

This system could help reduce these issues substantially as well as could be fun to play!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
10/13/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Dooblecaine
3) Ability to not pull threat off of tank

hahaha, 500%, tanks doing 100k DPS world, threat still pops up in conversations?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]