Why does Blizzard always contradict the lore?

87 Blood Elf Paladin
Nothing pisses me off more then Blizzard created new lore to mess up with the old lore. Why can't they just build around? Recently in an interview one of the Blizzard employees stated that the Titans killed several Old Gods on Azeroth; But I thought if they killed an old god, then the whole Azeroth would be annihilated? And wasn't there only 4-5 Old Gods on Azeroth? As you may know already I am a big fan of Old God lore.

Also, I found this on Wowpedia:

Krasus speculated that should the Old Gods open the gates of their prison even Sargeras would find himself pleading for the peace of death

What happened to the Old Gods being a great threat to the Titans? Now from what I saw in the 'new' lore, the Titans are killing the Old Gods like they are nothing.. I hate how they make it seem like the Titans are invincible now, and the Old Gods don't really pose a threat.

What are your thought on the constant change in lore? I know most of you don't care about lore and just play, but there has to be some lore junkies around here..

Edit: This is another interesting thing I found regarding the topic and sort of hints the corruption of Sargeras was caused by the actions of an Old God('s): "In the time before time, when the world was still in its infancy, a battle between a Titan and a being of unimaginable evil and power raged on this very soil. The prophecy is unclear about whether or not the Titan was vanquished ... but it illustrates that a Titan fell." - Geologist Larksbane

Source(s):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TPF5kGZ7mQM (Around 5:00 - 22:00 I believe)

Wowpedia.org

Original Post: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210387-Why-does-Blizzard-always-contradict-the-lore-Old-Gods
Edited by Salandian on 10/13/2012 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Human Death Knight
I haven't seen blizzard follow the lore in a long time, this whole expansion is based off an obscure joke hero from Warcraft 3, it feels like their running out of steam but I have to say, why not the Emerald Dream... tons of lore there!!!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes. But it really makes me mad that they almost completely depleted the threat of the Old Gods. They are not as big or bad or evil as everyone liked them as..
Reply Quote
Either the team is asleep at the wheel, or they're intentionally driving us toward the cliff.

Either they've become so big that they believe the players don't care about lore anymore, or someone higher up made the decision not to have a WC4, not have a WoW2, to end Warcraft as a whole with WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm sure that the Titans / Old Gods conflict has been swinging from one side to the other since before Azeroth was created.

Let me ask you this: if we were to slide into another ice age, would it 'offend' the 'lore' we have established since the glaciers receded the last time?

Granted, Blizz seems to adjust these things faster and with less advance notice, but it's pretty much the same thing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I think considering 'lore' to be concise, true, and 100% accurate is a failure of monumental proportions. Even in the -real world- we find out on almost a weekly basis that some piece of 'lore' was 100% wrong. How much more so when almost all of the WoW lore is 'handed down' from things people have said, or that people have extrapolated from things others said and never contradicted.

It's like the whole Star Wars thing. How many people nearly rage-flipped a table when they found out George Lucas was 'ruining the lore' of Luke's father by him not -actually- being dead?
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
They are ending the franchise with a disappointment(In terms of lore) that made them as big as they are today; Smart move Blizz.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Funny thing about fiction, you can come up with what ever you want, specially if you "own" it.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
I think considering 'lore' to be concise, true, and 100% accurate is a failure of monumental proportions. Even in the -real world- we find out on almost a weekly basis that some piece of 'lore' was 100% wrong. How much more so when almost all of the WoW lore is 'handed down' from things people have said, or that people have extrapolated from things others said and never contradicted.

It's like the whole Star Wars thing. How many people nearly rage-flipped a table when they found out George Lucas was 'ruining the lore' of Luke's father by him not -actually- being dead?
But this is a video game. And what it seems is that their changing lore for the sake to end it faster. What I mean by this is that before the announcement they made it seem like the Old Gods were one of the biggest threat to Azeroth; even bigger if they awaken. And it seems like they're building up to the death of Sargaras, so after him who's left? A bunch of Old Gods that can easily be defeated by Titans? It doesn't make it so interesting that we would be fighting an enemy weaker then the previous.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/12/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Salandian
Recently in an interview one of the Blizzard employees stated that the Titans killed several Old Gods on Azeroth; But I thought if they killed an old god, then the whole Azeroth would be annihilated?

Wait...I think I'm confused. Do you mean if the Titans killed them? Or if they were killed in general? Cuz we killed Yogg-Saron (an old god) and Azeroth wasn't annihilated...
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
10/12/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Dodecanone
Recently in an interview one of the Blizzard employees stated that the Titans killed several Old Gods on Azeroth; But I thought if they killed an old god, then the whole Azeroth would be annihilated?

Wait...I think I'm confused. Do you mean if the Titans killed them? Or if they were killed in general? Cuz we killed Yogg-Saron (an old god) and Azeroth wasn't annihilated...
We didn't kill Yogg' Saron; We defeated him. But they said that the Titans KILLED several Old Gods, not defeated. You see the difference?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/12/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Salandian

We didn't kill Yogg' Saron; We defeated him. But they said that the Titans KILLED several Old Gods, not defeated. You see the difference?

Fair enough. WowWiki has him as "Deceased" according to lore, if that means anything (and defeated in game). I guess I don't know if the deceased is from us or from the Titans.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Yogg-Saron
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Another interesting thing I found regarding the topic: "In the time before time, when the world was still in its infancy, a battle between a Titan and a being of unimaginable evil and power raged on this very soil. The prophecy is unclear about whether or not the Titan was vanquished ... but it illustrates that a Titan fell." Geologist Larksbane
Reply Quote
Sargeras has always been the biggest, baddest thing in WoW lore. He's connected to the organizing power of the universe, his goal is to undermine/destroy said power, and he's wiped out all life on multiple planets.

The Old Gods are kind of wild card. They're an Azeroth-level threat and at least powerful enough to have meaningfully challenged the power of the Titans at some point in the past, but we don't actually know much about them or how they stack up against Sargeras.

My personal inkling on this is that the Old Gods and the demons/the Legion have a similar genesis and Sargeras isn't as crazy as is implied. By organizing and bringing their idea of life and order to worlds the Titans generate a kind of equal and opposite reaction. Sort of like the natural, unTitan'd state of whatever world rebels against what the Titans did. Its where demons come from, its why the old gods are so malicious, and its why Sargeras wants to destroy everything the Titans have ever touched.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin

Fair enough. WowWiki has him as "Deceased" according to lore, if that means anything (and defeated in game). I guess I don't know if the deceased is from us or from the Titans.

But on Wowpedia has him "Unknown" according to lore(Which is thought out to be a more reliable website).But think of it this way; If Titans pretty much didn't have the privilege to kill Yogg' Saron, what makes you think mortals would? He is not dead but just put back into his unawakened state.
Edited by Salandian on 10/12/2012 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Internally consistent and well written are not usually hallmarks of video game based fiction.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Sargeras has always been the biggest, baddest thing in WoW lore. He's connected to the organizing power of the universe, his goal is to undermine/destroy said power, and he's wiped out all life on multiple planets.

The Old Gods are kind of wild card. They're an Azeroth-level threat and at least powerful enough to have meaningfully challenged the power of the Titans at some point in the past, but we don't actually know much about them or how they stack up against Sargeras.

My personal inkling on this is that the Old Gods and the demons/the Legion have a similar genesis and Sargeras isn't as crazy as is implied. By organizing and bringing their idea of life and order to worlds the Titans generate a kind of equal and opposite reaction. Sort of like the natural, unTitan'd state of whatever world rebels against what the Titans did. Its where demons come from, its why the old gods are so malicious, and its why Sargeras wants to destroy everything the Titans have ever touched.
But I read somewhere(Correct me if I'm wrong) that the source of Sargeras turning evil is due to an event that happened when they were facing the Old Gods; Which points towards the Old Gods who corrupted him. So if this were to be true, it kind of states that the power of a single Old God is equivalent(Or even superior) to that of a single Titan. But also who knows, the Titans could be numbered in 100's or even 1000's, so no matter how powerful the Old Gods really are they will be eventually defeated.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/12/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Astragaard
Let me ask you this: if we were to slide into another ice age, would it 'offend' the 'lore' we have established since the glaciers receded the last time?

That example is like if the Titans came back and defeated the Old Gods now. What he's saying happened would be more like if a scientist randomly decided that the Ice Age really never ended.

10/12/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Salandian
But I read somewhere(Correct me if I'm wrong) that the source of Sargeras turning evil is due to an event that happened when they were facing the Old Gods; Which points towards the Old Gods who corrupted him. So if this were to be true, it kind of states that the power of a single Old God is equivalent(Or even superior) to that of a single Titan. But also who knows, the Titans could be numbered in 100's or even 1000's, so no matter how powerful the Old Gods really are they will be eventually defeated.

Sargeras saw all the evil in the universe, got depressed, and decided that the Titan's idea of order was impossible. I don't believe it had anything to do with Old Gods.
Edited by Noxxic on 10/12/2012 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
10/12/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Salandian
Recently in an interview one of the Blizzard employees stated that the Titans killed several Old Gods on Azerot

Source? Sounds like you're making it up otherwise. So, I could say "recently, Blizzard said that everyone in the office only plays subtlety rogues and that all rogues are actually ninja turtles which are really aliens but are ancient transformers who disguise themselves occasionally as old gods and can never die." Doesn't make it true. As far as I've seen any actual information, the titans killed one old god, it also caused the death of that one titan. 1 for 1 isn't a lack of threat.

So, the website that random users can edit is expected to be canon? We haven't killed any old gods. The only old god confirmed to have been killed is the one that died in Pandaria. Unless you have some canon sources otherwise.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Recently in an interview one of the Blizzard employees stated that the Titans killed several Old Gods on Azerot

Source? Sounds like you're making it up otherwise. So, I could say "recently, Blizzard said that everyone in the office only plays subtlety rogues and that all rogues are actually ninja turtles which are really aliens but are ancient transformers who disguise themselves occasionally as old gods and can never die." Doesn't make it true. As far as I've seen any actual information, the titans killed one old god, it also caused the death of that one titan. 1 for 1 isn't a lack of threat.

So, the website that random users can edit is expected to be canon? We haven't killed any old gods. The only old god confirmed to have been killed is the one that died in Pandaria. Unless you have some canon sources otherwise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TPF5kGZ7mQM

Here you go
Edited by Salandian on 10/12/2012 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]