Do I need a new Graphics Card?

90 Night Elf Hunter
Howdy!

I built a new computer in January 2012 using some new parts and some parts I already had. Here's what I have now:

Corsair TX 650 W power supply
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=corsair%20tx%20650%20w

GeForce GTS 450
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572

Coolermaster HAF 912 case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=coolermaster%20haf%20912

ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

AMD Phenom II 1090
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Corsair DDR3-1333 4GB x 4 sticks

I'm playing WoW. Ever since the new expansion - when the game starts up I get a message saying and 3 options:

Windows has detected your computer’s performance is slow. This could be because there are not enough resources to run the Windows Aero Color scheme. To improve performance, try changing the color scheme to windows 7 basic. Any change you make will be in effect until the next time you log into Windows.
    Change the current color scheme to basic.
    Keep the current color scheme but show me this message again when the system is slow
    Keep the current settings but don’t show message again

Do I need a new graphics card? Are my settings off? I never had this problem before the expansion... Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I had this issue with my brand new Asus gaming laptop with a Gtx660m, my wife took it back to Anchorage for me today. It was saying what yours was and my drivers were up to date and not written over.

Not sure, but I talked with several people and they advised me to return it and I would have exchanged it but since i live 200 miles from a major town I decided I want to build something more stable.

Once in a while it would go black and back to the ame very fast, nearly hard to tell.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
nVidia released new drivers yesterday. Try those after cleanly uninstalling existing drivers (Driver Fusion can help you with this).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Windows has detected your computer’s performance is slow. This could be because there are not enough resources to run the Windows Aero Color scheme. To improve performance, try changing the color scheme to windows 7 basic. Any change you make will be in effect until the next time you log into Windows.

Change the current color scheme to basic.
Keep the current color scheme but show me this message again when the system is slow
Keep the current settings but don’t show message again

I have had that message pop up when playing WoW on a couple different systems....

Phenom II 1090T with AMD 6850
i5 2500k with AMD HD 6850
i7 3930k with Nvidia GTX 670

It's because when WoW is running in fullscreen mode sometimes background stuff like Aero will be "locked out" from using the GPU's resources.

If you have a multi-monitor setup you may notice if you run WoW in fullscreen sometimes the other screens will be blanked out then you get that message from windows soon after...

So anyways your hardware is fine, just click "Keep the current settings but don’t show message again" or if you have more than one monitor you should be running in "Windowed (Fullscreen)" mode so you can use the other screen for other things while playing.
Edited by Nightflyer on 10/12/2012 12:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you!
I do have another monitor - didn't occur to me that might be the problem. Duh!!
I will give that a whirl!
Thanks so much!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I always get this message I would not read to much into it, I think the message is very mis leading.

Every single time I boot up wow and alt tab once out of full screen mode this message pops up.

Did you know if you turn windows into basic mode it will auto turn aero back on when your done wow? Gaming with basic mode means less strain on your gpu because the vram is not being used to render world of warcraft and windows aero

I have it disabled while running because I only have 1280mb of Vram on my Geforce 570 and this allowes me to run ultra most of the time at 1920x1080.
If you keep aero on and try ultra with this graphics card and vram you will most likely bottle neck and your fps will drop to 30.0 when ever a heavy partical spell is cast from a mob or another player.

Try wow with aero in basic and see if it runs better, I am sure it will
Edited by Seventhwinds on 10/18/2012 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]