Mote of Harmony

90 Pandaren Monk
01/15/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Goldenmax
The drops rates and grind for mats, patterns and such is out of hand in this xpac, compared to the others. In this little area alone (not mentioning any other areas I see issues in) I for one, do not agree with the media that this xpac is the best.

Professions and mats are far easier to obtain this expansion than they ever have, maybe you could argue that spirit of harmonies aren't but realistically they are at the very least close to a similar difficulty as chaos orbs and its other predecessors. Patterns have also never been easier to obtain. Every single profession is super easy to level and and the VAST majority of patterns are from vendors. Now that does require grinding but its easy grinding and you know you are going to get them and when unlike in the past when they have been drops.

As for the rest of your post....i don't really know how to respond to that, it was 2 pages of saying almost nothing. While i certainly don't agree that MoP is the best xpac the term best doesn't really mean anything in advertising. Its a matter of opinion, i have no doubt that there are a lot of people that do consider it the best.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/15/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Geodir
get revered with tillers, you can grow 1.2 spirits a day for 2 minutes of work.

Actually 1.6 equivalent daily at Exalted, which is even better, but I wish it took only 2 minutes per day. On this toon it averages about 6-8 minutes, and on my 'squishier' alts, its about 8-10 minutes.

Still well worth the effort, or you can grow herbs or other mats for use or sale.

correct, at exalted its 16 motes a day. I just timed myself, starting in stormwind it took me 4minutes 16 seconds counting hearthing, loading and buying seeds.

Now lets compare the time requirements to the past. Chaos orbs for cata entry level epics. Belts used 2, chests used 3. Now these were drops from the final bosses of 5mans. Lets say a dungeon is about 30 minutes(which is probably pretty generous for most people) and you have to roll against the group. Lets say only 2 people on average roll on them. Thats 1 hour per orb not counting any que times. So 2 hours to get enough orbs to make a belt in cata, 3 hours to make a chest. Fast forward to now. Gloves are 6 spirits and chests are 8. At exaulted tillers thats 4 days to make gloves(you will have a little left over too) and 5 days for chest. Even if you took twice as long as me to do your farm every day that's about 33 minutes spent for gloves and about 42 minutes for a chest. Less than 1/3rd of the time spent. Even without tillers I know I could farm more than 60 motes in 2 hours just killing mobs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
even if my calculations overshoot by 3 times that still puts the time commitment about equal. Its pretty disingenuous to say it takes a week of grinding. While yes it takes a week to get those spirits, its a few minutes a day for 1 week where you make it sound like you are gridning non stop for a week.

Ive played since vanilla, been heavily into professions since midway through wrath and since cata im probably one of the biggest users of professions in the entire game as well as being a high end raider since the start of BC so don't pretend to know my level of experience in this game.

You are right about cooking, it is the one profession that really got harder. On a provide for yourself level its really not all that bad but I am in charge of getting 300 stat food to 25 people on a nightly basis and that is quite a headache.

There might be quite a few rep grinds for patterns but they are still very easy to obtain and they are reps most people want anyway. I believe the only pattern requiring exalted is the big tailoring bag. the rest require revered and enchanting was a bit longer in this regard because you had to get revered with golden lotus before you even started those reps.

As for ghostcrawler lying... well i cant really comment on that, i don't really pay all that much attention to blue posts. The only thing i remember being said about rep grinds was in reference to head/shoulder enchants. Even still, changing directions isn't the same thing as lying.
Edited by Zachfu on 1/15/2013 6:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Zachfu:
Professions and mats are far easier to obtain this expansion than they ever have, maybe you could argue that spirit of harmonies aren't but realistically they are at the very least close to a similar difficulty as chaos orbs and its other predecessors.

Chaos orbs only dropped off dungeon and raid bosses, and were (originally) bind-on-pickup, right? That seems insanely harder to get than spirits of harmony for me. To get chaos orbs you had to be good. To get spirits of harmony, you just have to be patient. I know which one I prefer.

This expansion may be bad for the fast people, who like to blast their way through dungeons, but it's been good for the slow people who like to play with solo stuff, professions, and whatnot.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Maybe it is just pure luck, but to date I have "farmed up" 46 Spirits of Harmony off mobs alone, both in the leveling up process and doing dailies. Even discussing this in my guild shows that drops for others aren't going so well. On the other hand, my rogue which works engineering can't trip over a mote these days.........I just don't know. I honestly hope they go BoA or just plain tradeable soon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
i'm an engineer myself, over the 5 levels i probably found 6 spirit harmony. that was enough for everything i wanted to make and then some, i got to 600 with pretty much no effort
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
01/15/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Geodir
get revered with tillers, you can grow 1.2 spirits a day for 2 minutes of work.

Actually 1.6 equivalent daily at Exalted, which is even better, but I wish it took only 2 minutes per day. On this toon it averages about 6-8 minutes, and on my 'squishier' alts, its about 8-10 minutes.

Still well worth the effort, or you can grow herbs or other mats for use or sale.

Eh.

One one char, who just makes money, easily worth it. You'd be dumb not to.

On multiple characters, I do 3 (sometimes 4), it's a freaking pain.

On multiple characters, along with trying to have fun levelling my monk alt, and keeping this guy geared/the lfrs ran - yeah, something has to give. It's not worth my time with the current rate that you can charge for them.

I welcome the 5.2 changes that will speed up farming. Until then, I just don't have the time.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I find it very strange that with the complete randomness of motes of harmony, that they would actually require anything to need them for a product, unless it was something super amazing like a craftable mount. You can't farm them unless you count killing as many things as possible for as long as possible farming. I've been in the pandaria area for 2 weeks or more, playing a bunch, and I still have only gotten 5 spirits of harmony. Didn't know about the Tillers though, but still, you have to remember that you need to get a high reputation with them just to do it and all motes and spirits are soulbound.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Wait until server quiet time, pull all of Lion's Landing into a big pile, AoE it down, loot a couple spirits of harmony. Wait 10 minutes, repeat. This has gotten to be so easy / convenient that I've been too lazy to even bother with my farm.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
01/17/2013 06:16 PMPosted by Solution
Wait until server quiet time, pull all of Lion's Landing into a big pile, AoE it down, loot a couple spirits of harmony. Wait 10 minutes, repeat. This has gotten to be so easy / convenient that I've been too lazy to even bother with my farm.

Hmm, I might try this. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I usually have to stagger it so that they don't leash. Start by pulling the entire beach zone together, can usually grab 40 or so mobs there. Then clear the inner part of the camp in a separate pull. Bonus points: I killed the rare spawns there enough times to find 3 brawler's guild invites (alas, bop - last two were trash), and get an entire set of PvP gear.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
01/17/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Solution
I usually have to stagger it so that they don't leash. Start by pulling the entire beach zone together, can usually grab 40 or so mobs there. Then clear the inner part of the camp in a separate pull. Bonus points: I killed the rare spawns there enough times to find 3 brawler's guild invites (alas, bop - last two were trash), and get an entire set of PvP gear.

Haha, very cool. I must do this in the am. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Heroics in Cata were actually hard up until 4.3 (before they became BoE) so getting chaos orbs wasn't exactly a picnic for a pickup group. There was a much bigger effort investment for a chaos orb in my opinion. I'm not sure which one was more 'efficient' but I prefer drooling at my keyboard AOEing/skinning mobs while listening to music and getting motes. Add in the farm and excess honor and I seem to have ample supply at all times.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
I have greatly enjoyed working on my professions in the past and sometimes even to the extent of leveling my professions before trying to get to max level or leveling my char by leveling my profession (ex: skinning, herbing, mining). However, I was deeply disappointed with this expansion I have grinded for days and only made 1 or 2 harmony and the mats for a level 85 rare take 2...that's disappointing. To simply state you can buy the rare it on the auction house is a cop-out remark for what if I wanted to make it for myself or have you even considered the prices of the Auction House items. It is unfortunate that these cannot be BOA, I had all professions maxed between 6 of my 7 level 82+ toon’s. I'm hoping this will change in the future or that the drop rate might increase. Even with the "fair” drop rate that some might call it, I still find it a shame to have to grind so long to make the items or having to wait for each of my toon's to wait until they are level 90 and exalted with the tillers, just to get the harmony to make the level 85 weapon that I wanted to use while I was leveling...I have been playing for years, roughly 5+, and I'm looking forward to the next change for this.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
puts a HUGE space between Casual and "hardcore".

Yep. You can't just sit at the AH and buy your way to the top. This benefits everybody. Oh and you go off killing random stuff just for harmonies, you're doing it to yourself. If you work on reps, do dungeons, etc, the harmonies will come without you ever thinking about it. Besides, there's nothing that harmonies are used to make that you can't buy off the AH (finished product). So if you don't want to invest your time, invest your money.

The lazy need to stop whining that balance finally being implemented in the game means that on one end of the spectrum you actually have to make an effort.

Seriously? I know how difficult it was to get my motes to level engineering on my mistweaver. Before you hit 90 you hardly get ANY motes drop in dungeons. And if they do drop you don't always have time to loot cos the tank is running through the place. As a healer the big grind of killing mobs for motes isn't exactly ideal either. And grinding rep means killing mobs too. I say make Spirit of Harmony BoA.

You say this is all great and now people have to make an effort but how does it EVER makes sense that the tokens (VP) you get from doing bosses you can't buy anything with unless you go do a mountain of dailies every day? And you get VP for dailies is also just retarded.
Edited by Stinknugget on 3/11/2013 3:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]