What gems and enchants Frost mage pvp

90 Undead Mage
Hey all, I was wondering what gems and enchants I should use for frost mage pvp. I would like to know which gems to use in each color slot, and which enchant to use on each piece of gear, including the weapon. Thanks in advance for helping me out!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Bump!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Come on, somebody, please?
Reply Quote
Give me till a little later tonight after I finish this biology and I'll be making a quick thread detailing stat priorities and gearing.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Looking forward to that, Xiun. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Meta socket -> +216 intellect +3% crit dmg : the 3% adds a lot of dmg to your crits believe it or not, frost bomb crits for ~70k, 3% more adds 2100 dmg.

For blue gems you're going to want to stack straight pvp power gems. +320 PvP power is roughly 1.2% dmg increase.

Yellow sockets, I've been using PvP power and mastery gems (roughly a flat 0.6% dmg increase and 0.5% dmg increase on frozen targets).

As for Red sockets, there is a point where PvP power becomes more valuable than intellect, thats around when you have 14000 SP unbuffed. I haven't reached that point yet, but figure that I'm close enough so I'm going to gem PvP power / Intellect gems for red.

Final note: when I reach around 60-65% resilience, I will begin using only +320 PvP power gems in most of my sockets, unless the socket bonus is something that can help me offensively (More PvP power or +int). Say for example, the yellow socket in my boots will turn into a +320 pvp power because a +60 resilience socket bonus won't be as beneficial to me once i hit 60-65% base resilience.

As for enchants,

Shoulders: +200 int +100 crit
Chest: +200 PvP resilience -> again, once i get to about 65% resilience, I might consider changing this to +stats or something else, but I haven't fully decided yet
Cloak: +180 intellect
Bracers: +170 mastery
Gloves: +170 mastery
Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle -> +320 PvP power gem
Legs: +200 int + 100 crit
Boots: +140 mastery & minor speed increase
Edit: forgot weapon
Weapon enchant: Windsong. small amounts of haste/mastery/crit increases (roughly 3-4% each) can triple stack

You can armory my mage, I don't have all the exact enchants and gems yet because I'm cheap and lazy, if you have any questions you can always message me in game as well.
Edited by Frightmare on 10/12/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Meta socket -> +216 intellect +3% crit dmg : the 3% adds a lot of dmg to your crits believe it or not, frost bomb crits for ~70k, 3% more adds 2100 dmg.

For blue gems you're going to want to stack straight pvp power gems. +320 PvP power is roughly 1.2% dmg increase.

Yellow sockets, I've been using PvP power and mastery gems (roughly a flat 0.6% dmg increase and 0.5% dmg increase on frozen targets).

As for Red sockets, there is a point where PvP power becomes more valuable than intellect, thats around when you have 14000 SP unbuffed. I haven't reached that point yet, but figure that I'm close enough so I'm going to gem PvP power / Intellect gems for red.

Final note: when I reach around 60-65% resilience, I will begin using only +320 PvP power gems in most of my sockets, unless the socket bonus is something that can help me offensively (More PvP power or +int). Say for example, the yellow socket in my boots will turn into a +320 pvp power because a +60 resilience socket bonus won't be as beneficial to me once i hit 60-65% base resilience.

As for enchants,

Chest: +200 PvP resilience -> again, once i get to about 65% resilience, I might consider changing this to +stats or something else, but I haven't fully decided yet

You can armory my mage, I don't have all the exact enchants and gems yet because I'm cheap and lazy, if you have any questions you can always message me in game as well.

Wow thanks Frightmare for such a great and specific post. enjoy your malevolent gladiator title.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'm gemmed exactly like Frightmare and have played with almost every set up you can imagine as far as stats go. The only full int gems I used were my jc gems. If not a jc, you are probably better off going int/pvp power depending on your gear. That being said, with the gear available, it's almost a sure thing that your going to be better off with purple gems. I also bypassed the boots bonus b/c the extra damage outweighs the marginal resilience bonus imo..

I enchanted windsong on the weapon I'm using now, for the mastery.

Haste sounded fun, but 100k+ frostbombs are just too op. Then again, haste is viable also.
Reply Quote
In the past, for my casual PVP (I'm not a pro player), I prefer haste because the frostbolt you get to cast does 100% more damage than the one you couldn't get off in time. Your mileage may vary.
Reply Quote
Guess I'll just wait to make my thread then and make an actual pvp guide for this season.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/12/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Xiun
Guess I'll just wait to make my thread then and make an actual pvp guide for this season.

You ought to just go for it. It's the same questions that keep popping up. @ torn, you don't need to crit cap. If you attempted to do that, you'd lose more valuable stats in the process.
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Icelancealot

You ought to just go for it. It's the same questions that keep popping up. @ torn, you don't need to crit cap. If you attempted to do that, you'd lose more valuable stats in the process.

I just spent the last 50 minutes or so typing it all out nice and pretty, linking all the gems and enchants, then the forums ate it all for no reason whatsoever

I'll get back to you later after I break a few more things.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Is it worth gemming dreadful gear, or is it a waste of gold until you get malevolent gear?
Reply Quote

As for enchants,

Edit: forgot weapon
Weapon enchant: Windsong. small amounts of haste/mastery/crit increases (roughly 3-4% each) can triple stack

PVP resilience has exponential returns and PVP power only has linear returns, just wondering wondln't it be more beneficial to stack alot of resil? eg. the more pvp resil you have, 320 resil is worth more than 320 pvp power.
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Marìo
320 resil is worth more than 320 pvp power.

No it's not.

Mages are about doing a lot of burst, and AVOIDING damage.

Resil does not help either.

PvP power helps bursting a lot harder.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/13/2012 01:17 AMPosted by Xiun
PvP power helps bursting a lot harder.

shouldnt PVP power also affect things like Ice barrier and Evocation glyph heal?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'm pretty sure that for Evo that is a yes and for IB that is a no.
Reply Quote
Neither. Heal is based of % of life, Barrier is based off of SP
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]