No ghost flying in pandaria?

(Locked)

90 Draenei Shaman
10/17/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Zarhym
Since the vast majority of Pandaria's content was designed around the use of ground mounts, we didn't include flight for players who are in spirit form (dead). There are a few locations, similar to the WoW days of old, where you can die and be unable to retrieve your corpse. The reality is this shouldn't be an overwhelming inconvenience to players, unless you're very frequently dying in unfortunate ways, and in unfortunate locations. Sometimes going with the Spirit Healer might be the best (or only) way to revive yourself. But that's a big reason why they've been in the game since launch.

There are more than a few such places; several of them are daily questing hubs, and on PvP servers "dying in unfortunate ways" is entirely up to the good graces of one's fellow players.
(I'm on a PvP server so I can play with my friends; if I could choose a ruleset independent of choosing my server community, I'd be PvE in a heartbeat.)

Edit: Also, how the hell is forcing me to sit around and twiddle my thumbs for ten minutes "compelling gameplay?"
Edited by Kiava on 10/17/2012 4:39 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/17/2012 04:37 PMPosted by Elrith
Death is supposed to be a penalty. You should be doing all in your power not to die.

Please don't mistake poor foresight from developers as "making wow hardcore again", death has never really been really penalized in this game and never will. The only time dying is actually bad is during an encounter or in a battleground.
1 Tauren Priest
Since the vast majority of Pandaria's content was designed around the use of ground mounts, we didn't include flight for players who are in spirit form (dead). There are a few locations, similar to the WoW days of old, where you can die and be unable to retrieve your corpse. The reality is this shouldn't be an overwhelming inconvenience to players, unless you're very frequently dying in unfortunate ways, and in unfortunate locations. Sometimes going with the Spirit Healer might be the best (or only) way to revive yourself. But that's a big reason why they've been in the game since launch.

Why can we not fly when dead in Pandaria? It is rather annoying to die in a location, whether pvp or otherwise, and be unable to return to your body because it is a location only accessible via flight. Once you train flying, you should be able to fly when dead. Is this something that will be resolved in a future patch?

No, no, no. I've seen lots of people who have fallen off cliffs and have died, or maybe died unexpectedly during a quest. You shouldn't have to take a spirit rez.
If it's really that big of a deal for you people, make level 90s with flying only able to ghost fly; that's the majority who are getting stuck in the first place!

Pandaria has tons of hills and mountains (and cliffs.../cough), and accidents happen. A lot. It's not fair to anyone to be forced to get rez sickness because they cannot do anything else. This doesn't happen often in Azeroth; this happens a lot in Pandaria. You can't punish people for falling or being pushed off of X and being screwed, especially when sometimes this happens due to quests gone wrong (Cloud Serpent rep) or getting ganked in terrible places.

It shouldn't matter if people are dying from sheer stupidity on top of a mountain or if Major Nanners got to them; it's happening frequently and that won't quiet down over time. Sorry. I for one support flying in the spirit realm in Pandaria.

If people earned the right to fly in Pandaria, they should earn the right to rez like so. At the very least.
100 Human Warlock
Its just the same as removal of HGWT, sure we never had it before and we don't need it but it sure as hell was much better with these things. Taking steps backwards is really frustrating especially when no good reason is given.

"That's how it was in vanilla" isn't a good reason to take away convenient things.
Edited by Lethalock on 10/17/2012 4:43 PM PDT
90 Undead Priest
10/17/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Blackcoww
Pandaria has tons of hills and mountains (and cliffs.../cough), and accidents happen. A lot. It's not fair to anyone to be forced to get rez sickness because they cannot do anything else. This doesn't happen often in Azeroth; this happens a lot in Pandaria. You can't punish people for falling or being pushed off of X and being screwed, especially when sometimes this happens due to quests gone wrong (Cloud Serpent rep) or getting ganked in terrible places.

I'm afraid I have to agree. I've seen many instances and I'm sure many of you have as well where opposite faction deliberately wait in a place of high elevation to push people off with abilities. To have those people have to take rez sickness because of something they otherwise had no control over is wrong.

More to the point, Is it really that big of a deal to deny people ghost flight form to alleviate any of many problems simply so that Blizzard can stand on the ceremony of some ill-contrived notion that "This is how it was in the old days" When in historical fact flying mounts, and abilities that literally pushed people off cliffs, didn't even exist in the "old days". What a bunch of rubbish, with all due respect, Zar.
Edited by Sanctinius on 10/17/2012 4:53 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/17/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Sanctinius

I'm afraid I have to agree. I've seen many instances and I'm sure many of you have as well where opposite faction deliberately wait in a in of high elevation to push people off with abilities. To have those people have to take rez sickness because of something they otherwise had no control over is wrong.

More to the point, Is it really that big of a deal to deny people ghost flight form to alleviate any of many problems simply so that Blizzard can stand on the ceremony of some ill-contrived notion that "This is how it was in the old days" When in historical fact flying mounts, and abilities that literally pushed people off cliffs, didn't even exist in the "old days". What a bunch of rubbish, with all due respect, Zar.

I'd be happy with a level based gold cost.
The fact they are saying they want everyone out in the world actually doing stuff, but putting you in situations where you then have to sit around and do nothing for 10 minutes is quite contradictory.
100 Orc Warrior
So, it sounds like Blizz arbitrarily decided to move back to ground mount focus 3 expansions after they added flying mounts - with the last expansion very heavily featuring flying mount use.

Weird decision. Why not just add ghost flying after you buy Pandaria flying? Problem solved.
90 Pandaren Monk
10/17/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Zarhym

That made sense in a game where you were bound to the land and could only get to unreachable areas by a fluke. Now you can get to unreachable-by-land areas with ease and get ganked or fall to your death quite easily.

Perhaps with that in mind, the rather draconian penalties for using the spirit healer could be updated to fit with the current state of the game. E.g. shorten the sickness timer and reduce the repair penalty without making them so pointless that people start using GY-rezzing as a new form of teleport.
90 Tauren Druid

This guy gets it. It's not a big hassle to walk to your corpse.

It is a BIG hassle when you are unable to get to your corpse because it is PHYSICALLY impossible to reach it since you can not fly while you are dead. Blizzard did not take this into consideration and is a really rather embarrassing oversight on their part.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
10/17/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Quard
In "the WoW days of old" you were not likely to fly somewhere that you can't get your corpse from.
^this

There are a few spots you can only get to via flying, such as where major nanners spawns. if you wipe, you have to take rez sickness and a huge repair bill from nothing more than an oversight. it's a huge difference from something than some place players are not supposed to die like the days of classic.
Edited by Omegal on 10/17/2012 5:02 PM PDT
100 Undead Mage
Zarhym, the problem is that a ten minute debuff that makes you useless is not compelling gameplay in the least. Pandaria is an expansion built around exploring - you have compelling reasons to be out and about in the world, and as a result people tend to explore more, looking for rare spawns, lore objects, or just neat things. You've encouraged us to explore Pandaria through achievements, reputation factions, and just neat things like the Secret Aerie and (for non-Monks) the Peak of Serenity. You reintroduced world bosses. These are all reasons for people to be in the world, instead of queueing in a capital city, and they're succeeding.

But to accidentally right click a PvP flagged Worgen who used multiple potions and buffs to increase his size to the point where it's hard to click on Brann - only to then get instagibbed by seven guards yelling NO FIGHTING INSIDE - and then to have to wait ten minutes to be a functioning member of the Horde - well, it's insult to injury, Zarhym.

By the way, I named my Ghostly Skull after you, and this is how you repay me?
90 Blood Elf Priest
With how many locations it is impossible to return to it just feels like this terrain was ,indeed designed to make you use spirit healer. If your pvp-ing on most cliffs, fighting a rare, or even doing a quest on any mountain you can expect to use spirit healer if you die now.

Ive had issues with this in particular looking for onyx eggs and fighting rares and getting killed by a group of alliance only to add insult to injury i have no choice to spirit res and be worthless for 10 mins which I cant even pass by logging onto an alt. I like having death be a painful experience in game as it should but spirt ressing is so rampant in this expansion its killing the enjoyment of doing things out in the new world. Even if it took me 5 mins navigating a windy spirit road or being able to recover my body if directly underneath it would be a huge improvement.
14 Night Elf Warrior
10/17/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Itsklutarlol
The fact they are saying they want everyone out in the world actually doing stuff, but putting you in situations where you then have to sit around and do nothing for 10 minutes is quite contradictory.

This. Why are you putting content in high-altitude areas and then punishing us for going to do it?

I guess sitting around for 10 minutes afk is part of the new MoP mindset? Whatever keeps us subscribing just 10 minutes longer?
100 Night Elf Warrior
I just died while doing my cloud serpent dailys, died near the questgivers and the GY is at the top of a mountain on an island, and my body is at the top of a cliff.

It was easier to spirit res than it was to find a way up the cliff.

Had this exact same problem. Died at the arboretum but my ghost was at the top of the natural spire between arboretum and windward isle.

Could not find a way back without going all the way around the zone. Spirit rezzed.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Man I LOVE those 10 min res sicknesses, I mean what a great way to waste my time during my after work daily grind. God it's just genius!
Community Manager
10/17/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Quard
In "the WoW days of old" you were not likely to fly somewhere that you can't get your corpse from.

You're right. I just spoke to Ghostcrawler about it a bit and am going to clarify my original post. I explained why we didn't initially include flight while in ghost form on Pandaria, but it's important to note that the developers are discussing the issue and might well add ghost flying to the new continent. We do recognize that it's possible to die in some very inconvenient places, and much more frequently than in vanilla WoW due to flying mounts.
100 Human Death Knight
In my opinion, rez sickness should just go away. We are already taxed on the rez due to the durability hit, why make it so we have to stand around for 10 minutes.

I really dont see the need for this or any way it could be abused.

edit: Let me say that personally, i only corpse run to avoid the 10 min dead period, not the repair costs, if it makes a difference.
Edited by Kikote on 10/17/2012 5:12 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]