Hunter PvP Guide (5.4)

(Sticky)

90 Human Hunter
--------------------------------------------
d. Shadow Priest – Difficulty – 8/10
--------------------------------------------

Shadow priests are another tough class to take down. They have outrageous DoT damage combined with excellent self-healing. Their weakness is that they can be easily out-bursted by us and put on the defensive.

Recommended Talents: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera, Silencing Shot, Exhilaration, Thrill of the Hunt, Blink Strike, Power Shot.

Recommended Glyphs: Mirrored Blades, Liberation, Solace.

Make sure to keep widow’s venom up, especially if they leave shadowform to heal. I like to start the fight by silencing them and shooting tranq shot a few times to get rid of some of their buffs. Hopefully you’ll set yourself up to easily dispel their Power word Shield later in the fight as well. Kite away from the priest if he starts to come towards you as he likely wants to fear you. Watch out for his Psyfiend, because it can fear you even if the priest isn’t nearby. You should always try to kill the psyfiend ASAP because it only has about 35k health. Make sure to interrupt Mind blast and Vampiric Touch with Feign Death, deterrence, or line of sight so you can save silencing shot, scatter shot, and lullaby for if they try to shift out of shadowform to heal. Marks hunters can spam steady shot during Dispersion to get steady focus.

----------------------------------------------------
e. Enhancement Shaman – Difficulty – 6/10
----------------------------------------------------

Melee shaman are not too tough for us to take down, we can fairly easily overcome their gap closers and have enough interrupts to stop their self healing.

Recommended Talents: Posthaste, Silencing Shot, Exhilaration, Thrill of the hunt, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Master’s Call, Solace, Camouflage

The main thing you need to worry about Enhance shaman is keeping them from sticking on you. They do a ton of DPS if they can stay on you. Luckily they are not too difficult to kite. They can root you in place from a distance and close the gap quickly so make sure to keep concussive shot on them and master’s call / disengage handy for when they get too close. Blow your cooldowns often and early to make sure to put them on the defensive. Once they stop to heal just silence or scatter and finish them off. Oh and drop a trap on their corpse just in case they try anything cute (Ankh).

------------------------------------------------
f. Elemental Shaman – Difficulty – 6/10
------------------------------------------------

Elemental shaman can do a lot of DPS if left unchecked, luckily we have a ton of interrupts we can use to make their lives miserable.

Recommended Talents: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera, Silencing Shot, Exhilaration, Thrill of the Hunt, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Mirrored Blades, Solace, Camouflage

You should take a cunning pet against an Ele shaman, even if you’re BM. Their flame shock DoT gives their Lava Bursts a 100% critical strike chance. Roar of Sacrifice negates this, so make sure to have a cunning pet and use this on yourself at the start of the fight. Use Silence, Feign death, scatter shot, lullaby, deterrence, Camouflage and line of sight to interrupt their lava bursts. This is THE most important thing as this is the main source of their damage. If they stop to heal and you’re out of interrupts just put widow’s venom up and continue DPSing, they will run themselves out of mana quickly trying to heal through your damage.

---------------------------------------------
g. Retribution Paladin – Difficulty 7/10
---------------------------------------------

Ret’s can do much more damage in MoP at range than they could in Cata, so don’t relax if you get to range against them. A healthy dose of tranq shots and widow’s venoms will keep these holy warriors at bay.

Recommended Talents: Posthaste, Silencing Shot, Exhilaration, Thrill of the Hunt, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Aimed Shot, Solace, Explosive Trap, Camouflage.

Make sure you always have a plan for when you get stunned. This is paramount because a good Ret will kill you in 6 seconds. You need to have a trinket, bestial wrath, lullaby, or roar of sacrifice ready so you can survive the stun. Make sure to interrupt repentance (it has a cast time now, although most paladins take Fist or Burden). Paladins can now cast hand of freedom twice before it goes on cooldown, so it is even more important to tranq shot ret paladins to make sure you can kite them. Another option is to concussive shot immediately followed by a silencing shot to make sure you get at least 3 seconds of slow. Marks hunters can spam steady shot during Divine Shield to get steady focus and MMM stacks.
Edited by Qualk on 7/16/2013 3:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
----------------------------------
h. Rogue – Difficulty 8/10
----------------------------------

Rogues are pretty tough right now, they’re quick and hard to kite in addition to being able to put out of a ton of DPS. Not to mention the new “throgues” which are very annoying.

Recommended Talents: Posthaste, Wyvern Sting, Iron Hawk, Thrill of the Hunt, A Murder of Crows, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Master’s Call, Solace, Disenage, Explosive Trap

The reason you take aMoC against rogues is because the crows will follow the rogue after he vanishes, allowing you to easily flare them out (LOL). Not sure if this is a bug or intended, so this may change. Against Shuriken Toss rogues, (Throgues) do as much dps as possible because the rogue has now become a ranged class and can do a surprising amount of damage from range. Make sure to save your escapes for when they get close, and only use one at a time to maximize your kiting effectiveness. Don’t use rapid fire during evasion. You can launch traps into their smoke bomb if they’re sitting in it, so glyph explosive trap so you can knock them out of their smoke bomb. Use flare pro-actively to prevent the vanish from being used instead of trying to reactively get them out of stealth after they vanish. Use roar of sacrifice/deterrence/lullaby when you see Shadow dance or Shadow blades, those are their highest DPS cooldowns. Don’t give up and keep kiting and you should be able to take these ninjas down easily.

------------------------------------
i. Mage – Difficulty – 8/10
------------------------------------

Mages are much easier in MoP than they were in Cata to take down because of the removal of our minimum range requirement. However, don’t underestimate, they are still able to deal a large amount of damage in a short time.

Recommended Talents: Posthaste, Silencing Shot, Exhilaration, Thrill of the Hunt, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Mirrored Blades, Solace, Camouflage.

I always start my mage fights with silencing shot and tranq shotx2 or 3 to get that Ice Barrier off. It absorbs a lot of damage and gives them a free frost nova if damaged through. Very important to tranq it. Also try to tranq Presence of Mind, this makes their next cast time spell instant. After tranqing off their important buffs do as much DPS as possible, with as many interrupts hunters have you should be able to stop most if not all of their hard casts. Have a CC break or roar of sacrifice / lullaby available for Deep freeze and you should be well on your way to a mage snack for your pet. Marks hunters can spam steady shot during ice block for steady focus and MMM stacks.

----------------------------------------
j. Feral Druid – Difficulty – 9/10
----------------------------------------

Ferals are still very tanky, very hard to kite, and very bursty. Taking a good feral down will require almost zero mistakes and at least equal gear level from you.

Recommended Glyphs: Aimed Shot, Solace, Explosive Trap, Camouflage.

You can tell a good feral from a bad one almost instantly after casting Scare beast. A good feral will shift out to block it, a bad one won’t. If he shifts out to block it, don’t bother trying to fear him again unless he’s distracted or in bear form with a lot of rage. If he lets you fear him, light him up and laugh at him. Have a crane(for lullaby) or Bestial wrath handy for his opener so he doesn’t start the fight with a big damage lead on you. Dwarves have a much easier time being able to stoneskin off all of their bleeds. Use Ice trap against ferals, it’s the only snare in the game they are unable to shift out of. Kite as best you can, do light dps to them if they go into bear. They are much less of a threat to your health while they are in bear, and you need to save your focus and cooldowns for when they go back into cat to try to burst you down. Deterrence+Scare beast is a good combo if you don’t think they’ll shift out of it in time. Try to tranq off Barkskin.

-------------------------------------------
k. Balance Druid – Difficulty – 7/10

Balance druids can be a hard fight. Moonkin form gives a lot of armor while still letting them put HoTs on themselves and DoTs on you.

Recommended Talents: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera, Silencing Shot, Exhilaration, Thrill of the Hunt, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Mirrored Blades, Liberation, Camouflage.

This fight is almost always a pure DPS race. Make sure to keep widow’s venom up because they will most likely have at least one HoT rolling on themselves. Don’t bother tranq shotting because tranqing off a lifebloom will just heal them anyways, just keep widow’s venom up and concentrate on doing as much dps as possible while interrupting their casts. Use feign death, camouflage, line of sight, and deterrence to block offensive spells and silencing shot, scatter shot, and lullaby to stop their healing spells.
Edited by Qualk on 6/4/2014 7:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
l. Death Knight – Difficulty – 8/10

Death Knights are extremely tanky, and can do a frightening amount of DPS if left unchecked. Death Knights will teach you how to kite, because if you don’t you’ll die.

Recommended Talents: Narrow Escape, Silencing Shot, Iron Hawk, Thrill of the Hunt, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Explosive Trap, Solace, Master’s Call

DK’s are very hard to kite because of their Death’s Advance talent in the 3rd tier. Silence them every time it’s off cooldown, it actually prevents a lot of their abilities. Keep widow’s venom on them as well, they have a few ways to heal themselves. Other than that, just kite as best you can, deterrence if they use Remorseless Winter, and do as much DPS as possible. Don’t use arcane shots if they use anti magic shell, they’ll be immune to the damage.

---------------------------------------
m. Hunter – Difficulty 5/10
---------------------------------------

The mirror match depends 60% on gear, 20% on who gets the jump on who, and 20% skill. I’ll try to help you with the skill part.

Recommended Talents: Narrow Escape, Wyvern Sting, Exhilaration, Fervor, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Liberation, Chimera Shot, Camouflage.

Make sure to use Roar of sacrifice at the start of the fight if you have a cunning pet. Most hunters forget about this crucial ability and it will definitely give you the edge in a mirror match. Now you need to concentrate on doing as much DPS as possible while trying to CC their pet. Try to bait out their stampede so you can deterrence without wasting seconds of your rapid fire, then rapid fire when deterrence is over. If you have narrow escape you can disengage away from their pet while still dpsing them, this allows you to kite their pet without even targeting it. You can also wyvern sting it or conc shot it while strafing away and hitting the hunter, or freeze trap it. Odds are, if you’re doing everything you can think of against another hunter and he’s still beating you, he probably just out-gears you.

-------------------------------
n. Monk – Difficulty 7/10
-------------------------------

The new class is interesting. They require a lot of skill to be able to gap close effectively, because their gap closers are not targeted. Don’t dps them during Touch of Karma and kite them well and you should be able to kill most WW monks you come across.

Recommended Talents: Posthaste, Wyvern Sting, Exhilaration, Thrill of the Hunt, Blink Strike, Powershot.

Recommended Glyphs: Master’s Call, Disengage, Solace

Monks are very mobile, able to quickly move around the battlefield. They do a lot of damage in melee, but it can be difficult for them to stick onto a hunter. Use all your available kiting tools and burst them down ASAP. Scatter trap them and wait out Touch of Karma if they use it on you. It absorbs all damage they take and redirects it to you, so make sure you notice that debuff. Trinket leg sweep or paralysis, NOT fists of fury, fists of fury will just stun you again immediately after you trinket it. If ring of peace is casted on you just deterrence until it expires.
Edited by Qualk on 2/21/2014 6:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Reserved.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Reserved.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Reserved.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Reserved.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Dude this is amazing. Answers so many questions that a lot of Hunters have been asking for weeks. Thank you for taking your time to do this, it's much appreciated.
Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Fan-frickin-tastic!

Thank you so much for posting this - i'm leveling a hunter as an alt (/ possible reroll. shhh don't tell the other druids <_< >_>).

Requested sticky!

Just a few things: I think you're over valuing crit to much. Mastery should still be ahead (People on AJ are saying have your mastery 10% higher than crit).

For the T1 talents you're undervaluing Narrow Escape. It's physical which means it cannot be dispelled (With the exception of affects like freedom). You can trap off it. Force melee to use "outs" (thinks like stampeding roar, freedom ect.) Though It does come down to personal preference. I'm just finding there are A LOT of warrior comps right now.

They guttered Stamp + Spirit Mend. It's much more attractive to build a stamp around offensive buffs now.

Otherwise perfect. =) Thanks again!
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Major props for taking the time to keep this up to date.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Just a few things: I think you're over valuing crit to much. Mastery should still be ahead (People on AJ are saying have your mastery 10% higher than crit).

For the T1 talents you're undervaluing Narrow Escape. It's physical which means it cannot be dispelled (With the exception of affects like freedom). You can trap off it. Force melee to use "outs" (thinks like stampeding roar, freedom ect.) Though It does come down to personal preference. I'm just finding there are A LOT of warrior comps right now.

They guttered Stamp + Spirit Mend. It's much more attractive to build a stamp around offensive buffs now.

Otherwise perfect. =) Thanks again!

Good points, thanks for your feedback!

Yeah I am fairly new to BM, and I just prefer crit myself so I will put a note in that section.

I wasn't aware that narrow escape was physical, I thought all the healers I was playing against were just bad lol. Yeah warriors are really good right now. Honestly you can't really go wrong with any pick in the 1st tier, I just love posthaste so much X_x

Good point about stampede as well, I'll update that section. I do still like the big spirit beast healx5 even if it's not quite as good as it was :D
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I'm just starting to pvp again. Thanks for this.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I haven't really gotten a chance to read yet, but requested a sticky for ya.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
All of these people blindly requesting a sticky without reading first kind of irk me.

What if it turns out being a bad guide and gets stickied? That wouldn't help anyone.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
All of these people blindly requesting a sticky without reading first kind of irk me.

What if it turns out being a bad guide and gets stickied? That wouldn't help anyone.
That's not to say I haven't skimmed through it a bit. Let's be honest, the WoW forums are not where you go if you're looking for the top notch, best of the line guides to tell you how to perform to the best of your ability. The guides here typically give you a rough idea of how to gear/gem properly, along with useful tips (which he does have, and he's stated he's willing to make changes if needed).

When someone puts so much effort into a guide, and it's clearly well written, it's typically a good idea to try to sticky it if there's no other current resource for that topic here on these forums. A general idea of how to play properly is still better than no idea.

Besides that, blizz takes people like Frostheim seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
10/16/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Eponine
He wrote the guide for cata and it was very good, I have faith that this one is up to par as well. If it were some random guy I'd never heard of, I wouldn't blindly request sticky.
This as well, he's known on these forums and his previous guide was very respectable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Awww you guys make me feel so warm and mushy inside! ^_______^
Reply Quote
66 Worgen Death Knight
must say this is just what i was looking for, greatly helpful. thanks so much for your effort Qualk!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]