Ganked during battle

90 Human Mage
Hey! I was attending the Wanderer's Festival, and engaged a wanderers festival hatchling, i captured it, then i was killing a sea gull but I don't know how horde players ganked me while i was doing my pet battle.. I ddnt know it was possible to gank someone during the pet battle and now I'm forced to wait another week to get that event pet :s Is it a glitch or something!? If yea is there way to get back my pet, I had 3 pets alive with almost full health and had 1 more wild pet to kill, anyone any thoughts? thank you :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Wow, how am I supposed to know a horde is gona come and kill me during a pet battle? It should be phased no???
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
If you have your elemental out, it doesn't phase with you, so could have been agroed. If you didn't have the elemental out, I believe that AoE in your general area will also hit you, even if they can't see you, they just need to know the general area. (or they kill the battle pet and that pulls you out of the battle, not sure which the mechanic is)
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
not sure if one can be attacked while doing a pet battle... but that sounds like a bug... i know it protects against NPCs (I was stepped on by the Fel Reaver and no harm during a pet battle session.... hehe)...

you must have been flagged for PvP... maybe the rule is don't do pet battles when flagged if there is a chance of being attacked by other faction...

and i'm sure the battle is toast... they probably can't just drop you into the same battle... and if the rules changed when flagged like i wrote above... this might be just what happens... you can give up to re-enter the battle world...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Wow thats so dumb, I mean NPCs or mobs cant attack us, but players can when we cant even see them ? Pet battles should be phase even if we r talkin about pvp realms..
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
10/14/2012 06:48 PMPosted by Guewergues
Wow thats so dumb, I mean NPCs or mobs cant attack us, but players can when we cant even see them ? Pet battles should be phase even if we r talkin about pvp realms..

If you don't like random PvP, why are you on a PvP server? Being attacked while pet battling is no different that I can see from having a ranged or stealth class shank you from a distance or stealth.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/14/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Ryxl

If you don't like random PvP, why are you on a PvP server? Being attacked while pet battling is no different that I can see from having a ranged or stealth class shank you from a distance or stealth.

Not really, it's like being ganked during a cut scene for a quest and I'm pretty sure you get phased out for those.

It's not that I don't like PVP... I love PVP. I just really hate being interrupted in a pet battle, whether its from an NPC or a player. Often they kill whatever I was fighting with AoE too.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
Mobs can attack you if they get close enough. Also blizzard have said its intended that you can be ganked while battling pets.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
On the flip side people could just engage pet battles to hide from pvp if it was the other way around.

If things are going badly you could just leg it to the nearest battle pet and hide while phased out indefinitely.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
You can't start pet battles while in combat though. I don't think leaving combat and running to the nearest pet would be any more effective than simply leaving combat and mounting up.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/14/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Raginghobo
Mobs can attack you if they get close enough. Also blizzard have said its intended that you can be ganked while battling pets.

Mobs only attack your pet, so dismiss it in pet battles.

10/14/2012 09:45 PMPosted by Crackhammer
You can't start pet battles while in combat though. I don't think leaving combat and running to the nearest pet would be any more effective than simply leaving combat and mounting up.

Exactly, I don't see any reason why it should be a problem. If you manage to break combat with whoever was attacking you then you deserve to be able to get away anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'm not against "pvp" in pvp servers, I mean I get ganked and I gank theres no problem.. But come on during a pet battle? Theres no logic in that since the gankers are not attacking "you" but just aoeing the area to kill the pet and force u out of the pet battle so they can kill u... So it's not even pvp they're just killin a pet that people are farming then gank you...
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
10/14/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Guewergues
Wow, how am I supposed to know a horde is gona come and kill me during a pet battle? It should be phased no???

Blizzard has stated the explicitly want you to be able to be attacked by PvP players during a pet battle if you are flagged for PvP. You are not phased out of the game world...what other players see is your character standing still, ostensibly doing nothing. The pet you are fighting is removed from the game, so they can't even tell you are doing a pet battle. For all intents and purposes, you appear to be afk during a pet battle.

To counter-act the suddenness of being thrown out of pet combat and into regular combat, you are given a three-second immunity buff ("Shielded") to give you time to recover from the pet battle interface. The pet you were battling returns to the game world and can be fought by whomever wins the PvP fight (or any passersby that want it).

10/14/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Moneabrams
If you have your elemental out, it doesn't phase with you, so could have been agroed.

Actually, you and your pet do not phase out of the game world. Mobs that come close to you phase out of the battle arena, but you and your pet are still fully existent in the world. Now, while in a pet battle, you are considered "friendly" to all NPC characters, even those that would normally aggro you. Your pet, however, is not...so if you have an active normal pet when you engage in vanity pet combat, your normal can and will get aggro if mobs come too close.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
People do not phase out during pet battles. You just see them standing there in front of a wild pet. I see it all the time in the Barrens. People standing about with a wild pet facing them. it lasts for 1-2 minutes then the wild pet vanishes and the player returns to the normal UI, but they never phase out. If you are flagged, any other player can target you and attack. Adds to the excitement doesn't it? Honestly, expect PvP on a PvP server...no matter what.
Reply Quote
71 Worgen Warrior
Pet Battles are great fun and I have really enjoyed this new addition to World of Warcraft. It is a new feature, and as such, Pet Battles will see some evolution as it is perfected over time. With this in mind, the limitations on how players can interact during a Pet Battle are certainly worth another look.
Yes, expect PVP on a PVP server. However, in a Pet Battle a player character is defenseless. The available action bars do not represent the character's attacks and it cannot move. Also, certain "Weather" effects, such as "Scorched Earth", make it virtually impossible to see outside of the pet battle. Attacking a player during a Pet Battle should, at the very least, have severe limitations.
It has been suggested that the current vulnerability is meant to enable opposing faction players to compete for the right to battle any given creature, and that a three second immunity exists for the embattled character in such cases. Maybe so, but perhaps, and if indeed there is one, could it be that the three second immunity is insufficient in these circumstances? Three seconds can only benefit a person if they are on a blazing fast computer, since that really isn't time enough for the interface to reset on most machines.
How is being attacked while in a Pet Battle any different from being ganked by some player character showing ??, or a skull on their portrait? Simple, at least a low level character can react -- even if it is only to attempt to flee while dying. The game designers had the wisdom to make it impossible for players to attack other players while they are on a point to point flight via the Flight Master, or in a cut scene, or on many quests that limit character control, and this is very much the same sort of thing.
It is likely that the best solution will be an extension of this "immunity" time and the addition of the "Honorless Target" buff for the embattled character. Nonetheless, I vote that characters, and their combat pets, should become universally "Friendly" during the Pet Battle, simply due to the fact that it is not possible to control a character's actions while in the Pet Battle interface.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I did find an oddity a while back, not sure if it's fixed. If you managed to trap a pet during the battle, and then kicked out of the battle due to pvp attack the pet you trap ends up in your journal AND the pet returns to the ground (if they aren't killed) for another chance.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
The pet aggro during pet battles needs to change. I have no problems being attackable during pet battles if you're flagged or on a pvp server. But it puts pet classes at a serious disadvantage when we have to dismiss our pet so as not to aggro mobs. It leaves us more vulnerable than other classes. It needs to be changed asap!
Reply Quote
I've heard that rogues can stay in stealth while pet battling? I've seen a Hunter use camoflage while pet battling.

On my druid it's very annoying that I can't battle in form. My druids spec is feral so if I start getting ganked while battling that's a whole cooldown I have to wait to switch forms before I can even do anything. Plus I'm getting killed in my caster form which is the weakest.

I hope they reverse the decision on this. Getting ganked while pet battling and losing out on the pet is no fun. I lost one rare this way already.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
No, rogues can't stay in stealth. I got ganked yesterday by a 90... it automatically unstealths you when you enter battle. And I agree; it really sucks to get ganked while you're pet battling. You can't even see anyone coming up on you; pet battles are like a semi-instance. And even if you could see them you can't just fly away during a battle; you'd have to surrender & wait for your character to finish cowering & exit the instance AND THEN try to get away. Being vulnerable during a pet battle just discourages me from even wanting to pet battle since I'm always in contested territory.
Edited by Zhua on 1/8/2013 4:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]