The Next WoW Expansion

90 Draenei Paladin
Alright, I don't know where else to stick this, so I'll stick it here.

Hello! Below this paragraph I'm going to start describing some ideas I had for the next evolution of WoW. I wanted to make this for a few reasons: Cause it's fun to think of "what if"; because I wanted to practice writing video game concepts and drawing; and because I really want to see some of these things happen. Anyway, here it goes:

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: SOUND OF AGES
working title

NEW FEATURES

• Character Remodeling
  • New Class: Bard
    • • Instanced/Group Questing
      • Hall of Portals
      • Guild Championing
      • Dressing Room
      • New Profession: Performing Arts

CHARACTER REMODELING

Night elves, humans, dwarves, gnomes, draenai, orcs, trolls, tauren, and blood elves will all be remodeled to match Cataclysm and Panderia graphics capabilities.

• Example Night Elf Female: http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/289/5/c/female_night_elf_remodel_by_clz-d5i0667.jpg
  • Example Tauren Female: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/289/4/2/female_tauren_remodel_by_clz-d5hyrln.jpg
  • New Hairstyles for all races and classes will be available.

• Example Hairstyles for female humans, night elves, and blood elves: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/289/a/8/hairstyles_by_clz-d5hyrll.jpg
  • All characters will be given new faction themed undergarments. They will also now have the option to change their undergarments to better suit their attire in the dressing room.

NEW CLASS: BARD

• Undead Male Bard: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/289/0/8/undead_bard_by_clz-d5hyrlo.jpg
    Image credit: Greg Capullo

• “Listen, man… hic. I’m just saying, it’s been – what? – three years?
    I’ve been a mage for as long as I can remember. And I know I’m really
    good at it. Like… really good. Meet me outside Org and I’ll kick your !@#
    right now.”
    “You’re drunk.”
    “I’m just saying, man… what if I’m meant for something else?”

Human bards created at level 1 start out in Westfall as a homeless person. Questing up will involve begging and playing music for money to help feed themselves and others homeless people. Any other class at any other level may make the one-time, permanent decision to quit their class and retrain as a bard. To do this a person must go through a “Mid-life Crisis” quest chain. As it is not reversible, daily quests will be part of the retraining process, forcing the player to “sleep on it”. Part of the quest will be visiting your trainer, who will plead with you to reconsider. The quest line will conclude with the player going into an instanced “academy” training zone. Players who choose this avenue will have the perk of maintaining one or two spells from their previous class (e.g. mages would keep time warp, shamans would keep their elemental summons, etc).

Bards will wear cloth gear with “agility” stats.

New weapons will not be introduced for bards. Weapons must be created from other items in the game (See the “axe guitar” in the image above). Shields can convert to harps; wands, guns, and bows to woodwinds; axes and maces to guitars or violins.

(Maybe) Bards will act as the Sixth member to groups. Bards will provide supplementary DPS, healing, or shields to parties. Raids may have one bard for every five players.

Bard attacks and spell casting will almost all be channeled, other than “Bash” where they will literally beat the mob with their instrument. Bards will not specialize into DPS styles, healing or tanking. Their class specialization is based on instrument style of choice: woodwinds, strings, or percussion. Selecting these specializations will bring up a new “Bard UI” which – in a style similar to Zelda or Guitar Hero – players are required to press a series of configurable buttons in unison with the game while the spell is being channeled. Successful strums will result in damage to mobs, shields or heals to party members, etc.

Breaking from new features for a moment, I want to discuss expansion plot. I have ideas for the entire plot, but here I'm going to list the first pre-release events. This post is already long, I don't want to make it longer. If you're interested in hearing more, please reply and I'll post more.

PRE-RELEASE EVENTS
    3 Months Prior to Release:

The arakkoa are in flight. The silhouettes of birds in flight blot out the sun across Outlands. At the Dark Portal forces rally to fend them off as they seek to flee into Azeroth. Looking up on the Azeroth side of the dark portal, the arakkoa will be visible flying, escaping casting dark shadows on the ground below them. On the Draenor side of the portal, the birds are flocking through the top of it. They fly alone or in groups of many, all of their belongings in tow.

Players from lvl 58 and up will be able to use cannons or other tools to help stop the arakkoa from invading Azeroth. Despite their best efforts, some will get through.

• Players who complete these quests will be able to follow the chain to Shattrath. The investigators will have the hero travel over to the friendly arakkoa of the Lower City.
    • After chasing down several of them for answers, this quest will conclude with this faction becoming unfriendly and unattackable. They won’t speak any longer. Returning to the quest giver concludes the chain thus far, with the NPC saying “I have a bad feeling about this.”

Outside of the Dark Portal and in surrounding zones, feather gathering quests can be available as the bright red, purple arakkoa feathers are falling everywhere.

TO BE CONTINUED…

Instanced / Group Questing
    Players will now be able to partake in short “dungeon-like” daily quests with various combinations of group members with a LFG like UI.

Hall of Portals
    A location created by the ethereals that houses dozens of portals leading to almost every location in the game. Instanced Questing will take place here. It will contain several new dungeons.

Guild / Player Championing
    Public arena fights are now available. Players can queue as an audience to watch other players fight it out. They can wear tabards or paint themselves with colors to support players or guilds.

Small guilds and individual players will be able to “champion” for other guilds. They will be able to donate items toward guild progression; as a “fan” of a guild, players will be able to watch as an audience when the guild engages in difficult encounters. Guilds will have to schedule these events and list them for the public audience to attend. PVP and PVE events will still be private if not listed.

Dressing Room
    A full dressing room will now exist in game, with every available article of clothing found in game displayed for the character to “try on”. Locations of the items and drop rates will be available. Players can save their outfits and select clothing by color, slot, and other factors.

Characters will have a limited number of options for undergarments; more for the females, so that they may ensure their undergarments suit their attire.

New Profession: Performing Arts
    Performing arts will allow a player to specialize in one of three professions:

[I]Minor Instruments[/I]: You might not be ready to give up being a druid to become a bard, but you can still pick up a small instrument. This profession acts a bit like fishing: The player will select one small instrument (harmonica, ocarina, etc) they will run a cast bar and have a short series of buttons to press, if they are successful, they will gain a level. Similar to left, corner, right special movements in fighting games, or the “blitz” button controls in FF6, the player will have to successfully hit the buttons in the time allotted to play their instrument. As it levels, the songs they play can do different buffs, auras or other abilities.
    [I]Dancer:[/I] This profession will allow players to learn new and different dance moves.
    [I]Option 3:[/I] To be determined
    Edited by Dearest on 10/15/2012 1:32 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    71 Troll Mage
    Cool, I like the title and IMO most things are better than Monks. looks great and I really hope they do update character models.
    Reply Quote
    100 Worgen Druid
    Eh, I'm not too crazy about that new Tauren remodel idea. Alot of people will be unhappy if Blizzard changes the races TOO much
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Hunter
    This is really cool! Lots of games have implimented bards, and they're usually pretty neat. I like their starter zone story too. :)

Dressing room would be awesome. I'd love to be able to pick different undergarments. I always feel like my bra strap looks ridiculous when wearing Lovely Black Dress . I just feel like it stand out awkwardly. :/
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Death Knight
    You put a lot of work into this.... very good job... two thumbs up ! :)
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Rogue
    Lots of good ideas. +Like for mentioning the Bard class.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Death Knight
    i do loved, but it will be cool if it have new race like naga or the other class of race.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Hunter
    I really like this idea but the Guild / Player Championing by far the best, seriously I would love this and I believe that this would bring many players back...I mean really what game has something like the?! Blizzard probably wont but this should really be made part of the game!
    Reply Quote
    88 Worgen Druid
    I really will not care how the next expansion pack works, I just want upgraded models for the Vanilla and BC races.
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Druid
    Not sure if you've ever played Monster Hunter. But there a musical weapons in the game that buff up other party members depending on how/what you play. Might consider that too. So say as long as you're playing song a DPS will improve. But if healer is slacking and can't handle the damage output. Play Song B which increases the amounts heal/cd/etc. same for tanking and spell casting and such.
    Edited by Ehlnofey on 12/21/2012 11:29 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    70 Undead Death Knight
    I'd love to play a new race like the Naga as well but the reality is that it wouldn't fit into the plot at all because everybody hates the Naga.
    Reply Quote
    88 Blood Elf Rogue
    I think it would be cool to utilize a race that everyone has loved, but never got to play. They invented a wonderful storyline for the Worgen and Pandaren, so they could probably come up with a way to fit in something like Murlocs, or if possible, the Jinyu.
    Edited by Blúe on 1/1/2013 6:57 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    100 Draenei Priest
    I think a Bard class might be a little RPG cliche at this point. It's been a while since a new ranged class was added. It would have to be something to fill a niche that is missing, to make it exciting. Maybe something odd like a ranged tank.

For new playable races, a LOT of people wanted to see what Ethereals were capable of. It could also be something completely new and made up to fix the new expansion.

As for the next expansion, I'm guessing it will probably have something to do with The Emerald Dream. There are a lot of hints being dropped that something bad is coming and both sides need to unite, there are already portals to the dream across the world, (like the center of Duskwood), and I forget which designer said it, but he liked the idea of a redemption storyline for heroes like Illidan. Maybe the Dream is reacting to the coming danger, which could be the Return of the Titans (wow look at all these catchy titles) or maybe this could be the first expansion where both factions could team up for certain events. As for a new land to explore, The Emerald Dream could function similarly to The Dark World from Zelda 3. It is a twisted reflection of the waking world, and as patches emerge, more parts of it are explorable. As dreams are influenced by our memories and feelings, there is a lot of opportunities to reincorporate old heroes and fun scenarios, even the newer enemies, the Shas.

Most importantly, maybe this expansion will allow us to replace the Backpack bag, and add the "new dances and jokes" that WotLK conveniently forgot to add. Huzzah.
    Reply Quote
    100 Dwarf Shaman
    Emh, A ranged tank is a hunter, its called kiteing :)
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Death Knight
    im an old d&d player so i like multiclassing.....wouldnt mind having a druid/hunter or maybe a rogue mage :)
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    preface all my comments by saying i read it all the way through and greatly admire your post! well thought out, well developed, clearly stated, and nicely outlined.

that said...

1) is it just me, or is that nelf packing? (i love the art, but that just made me giggle. >.< sorry! ;D ) i love the refined version of the tauren female, also. that face is almost smexxy!

2) the bard as a class reminds me forcibly of another game i've spent time in over the years. while the quest line and conversion option you've described sound rather cool, i'm not sure i'd be able to take a bard seriously enough to take it into a raid. by that, i *think* i mean that as they're described above, they wouldn't have any original abilities. i don't mean skills- you described a totally unique ui for them (which would be a turn-off for me, but many love guitar hero, so i'm sure it would go over well). simply that they are just another class that either heals, does damage, or does damage mitigation.. or a mixture of the three. we already have shaman, priest, druid, monk, pally (did i forget any?) who do these things.
    Music soothes the savage beast. how about a class whose role is *mainly* to affect the opponent's condition, rather than their teammates'? all classes have some sort of cc, or soothe, or fear- but how about a class that specializes in these? while those mob-control skills already endowed on the existing classes are largely ineffective on raid bosses, how about raid bosses (to some useful degree) NOT being immune bard's abilities to remove enrages, cc, stun, etc?
    side note: the bard charms animals- along the lines of the pied piper- i'm sure that would make a nifty cc lol

one other thing- i mentioned the other game and the similarity to the original bard description. something that game has is the ability to actually compose and play music on said instruments ingame. success rate is directly related to skill at instrument playing, and composing level. the abiity to form groups to play together is also involved. 'jam band' style.
    this would be epicly awesome to see in game, tho it would be a good time to ask right now for an additional option in the sound settings to mute other players' music. nothing can jangle one's nerves more than walking into a city and being assaulted by 50 toons all playing different songs!
    tho i'm looking forward to the day i can sit quietly in a corner and be serenaded. :D

3) expanding on the 'jam band' part- forming a party and setting it to 'Music' as opposed to raid or dungeon party would let you synch your playing in order to harmonize with each others' instruments. true bands can be formed, playing actual music (original compositions on scrolls shared amongst the party members)... there's that neat new music stage at the Darkmoon Faire- to have a once-a-week competition like the stranglethorn fishing tournament, but for bands- your party gets pulled up on the stage and you play your music, or the music provided..... yeah. something like that would be so fun :D
    the new city having a small soundstage area, where you can queue to play on the stage and anyone can sit around and listen- all other sounds would be muted for x distance around the stage...

4) all of that said, i'd like to see bard NOT be only a separate class, but rather a side-skill that all classes and races can learn, without giving up their day jobs. ;) perhaps as a half spec- i'm a resto shammy main spec who has a sideline of bard. i learn all the bard skills, and can whip out a flute and invigorate my battling party/play them a charge into a fight, or lullabye the boss for a 5 second breather.. or something.. idk :D
    on second thought- maybe not all races. tauren really shouldn't be playing the flute. maybe they just get drums >:D undead can have a bone rattle. XD
    Edited by Starsïnger on 1/18/2013 12:55 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    I think a Bard class might be a little RPG cliche at this point. It's been a while since a new ranged class was added. It would have to be something to fill a niche that is missing, to make it exciting. Maybe something odd like a ranged tank.

For new playable races, a LOT of people wanted to see what Ethereals were capable of. It could also be something completely new and made up to fix the new expansion.

As for the next expansion, I'm guessing it will probably have something to do with The Emerald Dream. There are a lot of hints being dropped that something bad is coming and both sides need to unite, there are already portals to the dream across the world, (like the center of Duskwood), and I forget which designer said it, but he liked the idea of a redemption storyline for heroes like Illidan. Maybe the Dream is reacting to the coming danger, which could be the Return of the Titans (wow look at all these catchy titles) or maybe this could be the first expansion where both factions could team up for certain events. As for a new land to explore, The Emerald Dream could function similarly to The Dark World from Zelda 3. It is a twisted reflection of the waking world, and as patches emerge, more parts of it are explorable. As dreams are influenced by our memories and feelings, there is a lot of opportunities to reincorporate old heroes and fun scenarios, even the newer enemies, the Shas.

Most importantly, maybe this expansion will allow us to replace the Backpack bag, and add the "new dances and jokes" that WotLK conveniently forgot to add. Huzzah.

love this. all of it. especially the catchy titles! i wonder if the Emerald Dream is reached by the ultimate questline in Pandaland. Our zen masters taking us into a deep meditation that opens our minds to the Dream? Would Loremaster Cho teach us the Way?

Somewhere in this land of rifts and shifts, could there be an outpost of the ethereals? They are, after all, a race which moves through the Twisting Nether and the space between the worlds....
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Hunter
    I do like the character remodel idea, but here's what I was thinking for the next expansion (it won't be nearly as detailed as yours, but it'll cover the basic details).

-new level cap: 100 (I know that it will take forever to level to this, but the amount of zones I'll have, along with the amount of xp for each quest, should cover it). Level 100s should have between million to 1.4 million hp.

-new world: Argus (the draenei/eredar homeworld). This new planet will be accessible through the Netherstorm in Outland. There will be 13 zones (8 for 90-98, 2 for 98-99, 2 for 99-100, and 1 for 100s). Each quest completed will give from 500k xp to 750k xp.

-new battlegrounds (obviously)

-new instances (obviously)

-new hero class: Warden (like Maive Shadowsong? They'll start at level 65 in an instanced zone within Terokkar Forest and will require a character that's already level 65 to create a warden)

-PvE enemies: demons and titans

-main boss: Sargeras

Sorry for all the capitalization and grammatical errors, but I just wanted to get this idea across. I think that Blizzard should make another big expansion with something along the lines of this idea, because each expansion lasts an estimated 2 years, and both Cata and MoP get boring after a bit. This is just my idea for an expansion, I do think that Dearest had a very good idea as well.
    Reply Quote
    Please add this as nan expasnsion blizz id totally buy it and never cancel my subscription please please it would be awesome!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]