[old] Please don't spam-heal.

(Locked)

92 Troll Druid
Normally I'd consider this none of my business, but I feel that somebody out there, at least, needs this little reminder:

Don't rapidly spam your biggest heals when there is no damage to heal.

I'm ranting about this because I was just leveling my alt through some cata regulars, and a healer in Vortex Pinnacle was pulling a mob on every pack, no matter how much I taunted it away or focused on it. After about 5 minutes of this, he left, saying "note to tank: keep aggro."

O... kay. But why couldn't I keep aggro? I looked at the combat log... and there it was. he was chain-casting lifebloom and healing me for *zero,* and keeping Wild Growth on cooldown.

Now, I've never leveled a resto druid, but from my tanking and DPS experience, that's not how a druid usually heals. In fact, I strongly suspect (Gasp!) that he might have been trolling us. I *hope* he was trolling us, because if he wasn't, with that attitude, he will never learn how to play.

EDIT: Clearly this was posted with a rather limited understanding of current healing mechanics. Please scroll down to see what my question is *now.*

You're a baddie and I'm just thankful that your toon can't pro create.
90 Dwarf Warrior
10/17/2012 02:26 AMPosted by Tarski
Overhealing doesn't generate threat.

This!
90 Pandaren Shaman
I haven't pulled aggro on with healer since TBC.
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm pretty sure I used RF+Healing to deliberately pull aggro on something in Cataclysm, although I can't remember what.
100 Tauren Druid
Resto druids and Disc priests can and do pull aggro off of tanks, even in the current dungeons, especially if they do not time things right.

As has already been said, Lifebloom is one of the core mechanics of druid healing, and keeping it up requires casting something. In addition, Harmony (our version of the Mastery buff) is another key mechanic that requires a minimum amount of casting (every 20 seconds). Maintaining uptime on both requires a druid to cast regularly, which can look like "spam-healing", and can lead to threat issues if the timing is off. In addition, as has been mentioned, druids do not have a way to redirect or dump threat.

Many druids like to pre-stack Lifebloom before the pull, and use a direct heal on the tank to refresh that stack and get Harmony rolling. I try to time this such that I have at least a 5 second window after the pull for the tank to get threat before I have to cast something to maintain my uptimes. If the tank doesn't pull as expected, I have a choice to make: cast something and risk pulling aggro off the tank, or let things fall off and have a somewhat panicky 4-5 GCD cycle to get everything rolling again, hoping the tank or DPS isn't taking major hits to the face in the meantime.

This is never a problem when running with a tank from my guild, they know how I play, but it can be a problem in random pugs. This is why I actually like it when a tank either asks if I am ready, or gives some other type of pre-pull warning. I know that irritates some healers, but I prefer it that way.

And yeah, Vortex Pinnacle is a pain in the butt to heal.
Edited by Pipikaula on 10/17/2012 9:10 AM PDT
92 Troll Druid
Resto druids and Disc priests can and do pull aggro off of tanks, even in the current dungeons, especially if they do not time things right.

As has already been said, Lifebloom is one of the core mechanics of druid healing, and keeping it up requires casting something. In addition, Harmony (our version of the Mastery buff) is another key mechanic that requires a minimum amount of casting (every 20 seconds). Maintaining uptime on both requires a druid to cast regularly, which can look like "spam-healing", and can lead to threat issues if the timing is off. In addition, as has been mentioned, druids do not have a way to redirect or dump threat.

Many druids like to pre-stack Lifebloom before the pull, and use a direct heal on the tank to refresh that stack and get Harmony rolling. I try to time this such that I have at least a 5 second window after the pull for the tank to get threat before I have to cast something to maintain my uptimes. If the tank doesn't pull as expected, I have a choice to make: cast something and risk pulling aggro off the tank, or let things fall off and have a somewhat panicky 4-5 GCD cycle to get everything rolling again, hoping the tank or DPS isn't taking major hits to the face in the meantime.

This is never a problem when running with a tank from my guild, they know how I play, but it can be a problem in random pugs. This is why I actually like it when a tank either asks if I am ready, or gives some other type of pre-pull warning. I know that irritates some healers, but I prefer it that way.

I'm not sure about you my friend but I pull aggro just standing around looking like a tree ;P

But honestly yeah I land a nice fat RG right when the tank grabs a grp of mobs I'll notice aggro but aggro is and never has been an issue in MoP unless the tank is

Stunned
Stupid
Not in Blood Presence
Not in whatever other stance RF etc
Doesn't know what a nameplate is

But even if I had all aggro I could and have healed through it - it's never been an issue in a 5man to the point of my worrying onc min over it and I have enough heroics in MoP to say that.

And yeah, Vortex Pinnacle is a pain in the butt to heal.
Edited by Moophious on 10/17/2012 10:09 AM PDT
100 Tauren Druid
Oh, it isn't hard to heal through it, I have never wiped from pulling healing aggro, but I can see how another healer might get tired of it after a handful of pulls.

I guess I am just so used to tossing on Barkskin when I see an add phase about to happen, or running over to the tank and jumping up and down on his head ("Look! Adds! Want some?"), that I never thought how it looked from an objective perspective.

That "bomb-the-add" boss in Siege of Niuzao Temple where the waves of adds put a stacking DoT on whatever they are attacking comes to mind. It is as if they all say at once, "That face, so delicious..." and head my way.
100 Tauren Druid
10/17/2012 03:08 AMPosted by Zachariel
Healing threat is basically non-existent now. There's definitely a different explanation for what happened.

The only time I've heal-threat pulled some mobs is if a tank is body pulling a group and I happen to cast in the split second after the body pull and before the tank does any sort of AOE threat manuever.

In this tank's case, I doubt the Druid would have been "casting" Lifebloom repeatedly.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Three stacks of lifebloom was always my sign (when healing as a druid or tanking for one) that it is time to pull.
85 Night Elf Druid
10/17/2012 03:47 AMPosted by Kaeladin
one of their key procs is from LB.

Replenishment and Revitalize were removed in MoP, so we just keep it up for the healing now.
100 Tauren Druid
10/17/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Kerranggaroo
The only time I've heal-threat pulled some mobs is if a tank is body pulling a group and I happen to cast in the split second after the body pull and before the tank does any sort of AOE threat manuever.

I had a fun moment in Mogushan Vaults last night (in between wipes) where the DK tank indicated he was ready to pull, so I stacked him up and tossed out a Nourish to get Harmony going. For some unknown reason, he then stopped for a bit halfway to them, he was on the side with the two guardians, rather than running all the way in. I saw Lifebloom was getting ready to run out, so tossed one to refresh the stack just as he cast Outbreak (or whatever their opener is) on Cobalt.

Jade took that as a signal that it was open season on druids.

Fortunately, the DK was on it and immediately grabbed it back, but watching a giant stone puppy charging directly at you ... gets the juices flowing!
100 Tauren Druid
10/17/2012 11:20 AMPosted by Anarri
one of their key procs is from LB.

Replenishment and Revitalize were removed in MoP, so we just keep it up for the healing now.

I am pretty sure he was talking about Omen of Clarity, which is still triggered by LB and really is one of our key procs, and the main reason to keep it rolling.
85 Night Elf Druid
Point taken.
90 Human Paladin
If you legitimately lost threat to a healer, I agree with him. You're pretty awful.

Though I hope you're trolling.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/17/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Pipikaula
"That face, so delicious..."

Oh god, now I have that in my head.

"Dis pear, so delicious..."
10/10 would read again.

I think my favorite part was the edit saying it was made without knowledge of current healing mechanics....lifebloom rolling has been a staple druid move for a looooooong time.
100 Night Elf Druid
Remember the way that taunt threat works. It taunts the mob to attack you for 8 sec, if you do nothing else after taunting, it will turn back to whoever had aggro.

You MUST taunt and then follow up with a damaging/threat attack. Taunt only gives you as much threat as the original target and "facetime" for the 8 sec duration.

If I know most healers, when we start getting attacked (depending on dmg incoming) we try and wait a few sec to let the tank/dps get the aggro, then start to heal up. Other times, when there is considerable dmg hitting someone or we have more than one mob on us we must continue healing. In those times you absolutely must taunt and then gain some threat on the target.

TBH taunting off of heals is nearly unnecessary, usually any damaging attack is enough to pull the mobs off.
90 Worgen Druid
10/17/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Winnifred
Three stacks of lifebloom was always my sign (when healing as a druid or tanking for one) that it is time to pull.

I definitely like this approach!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]