Thoughts On Leaving Pandaria (Starting Zone)

90 Pandaren Shaman
**Possible Spoilers if you haven't completed the Pandaren starting zone and chosen Alliance**

Greetings all,

I'm new to this particular forum, but a long time player. I started in 2006 and have played through the game many times both Alliance and Horde and have had many experiences. I quickly wanted to touch on the effect that moving from the Pandaria starting zone into Stormwind had on me personally as a gamer and fan of this game.

I've been excited to play a Pandaren since the expansion was announced, and finally decided on a Shaman (my first). I enjoyed the quests, the beautiful environment and music, the story, the friends I made, the impending suspense that I would eventually have to make a choice on where my loyalties lie and potentially lose everything I had. I chose Alliance as that is where my main characters reside, providing me with a more efficient leveling experience, however if I could do it over again I would choose Horde simply because I found them to be more welcoming and engaging.

The impact of leaving Pandaria and siding with a faction that my character knew hardly anything about didn't actually hit me until the first sequence with Varian Wrynn. Walking through the halls with Aysa Cloudsinger and listening to Wrynn speaking about the Alliance, this in particular stood out to me:

King Varian Wrynn says: Good. Because that brings me to my second point.

King Varian Wrynn says: Not all pandaren have chosen the same path as you three.

King Varian Wrynn says: Some have sided with the Horde.

King Varian Wrynn says: They, along with the other barbarian clans of the Horde, are your new enemies.

King Varian Wrynn says: Those whom you once considered friends, or even those you might have loved, are now your sworn adversaries.

King Varian Wrynn says: I will NOT tolerate friendships across enemy lines.

King Varian Wrynn says: Do I make myself clear?

Aysa Cloudsinger says: Yes... of course.

All of a sudden I felt a great sadness for the plight of the Pandaren race and my character that hadn't effected me prior to this moment. I mean, this is a sad story! My friends and I have left our home and everything we had behind. Those who were once our close friends are now enemies.

I know that similar storylines have been told with the Goblins and Worgen for example, but I never connected to it like I did this time. I think that might be because with Goblin and Worgen, after the starting zone your home is gone. You can't go back. This time it's different. It brought me closer to my character, and has made me me want to get her back to her homeland as quickly as possible.

Long story short, I feel engaged with this character more than I have with a new character in a long time. I'm glad to see this kind of storytelling in the game, and am looking forward to getting back to Pandaria.

I haven't experienced the Horde version of this yet. Is it similar? Any other thoughts? Thanks for reading.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
You haven't actually been to Pandaria yet. It's not your home, I'm afraid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I guess that makes sense. I start on Shen-Zin Su, but the sentiment is still there, for me anyway.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
10/17/2012 08:34 AMPosted by Everen
You haven't actually been to Pandaria yet. It's not your home, I'm afraid.

I think this misses the point.

To the OP:

It is an interesting problem that new Pandaren find themselves in (and it's a problem the Pandaren on Pandaria will have to deal with soon enough). Several threads were made closer to the beginning of MoP that criticized such a haphazard decision as siding with the Horde or Alliance based on such a paucity of information about either.

While one might easily condemn the Pandaren for making such a rash decision, I feel that it is somewhat mitigated by the circumstances surrounding the decision and so in the end I do feel a bit of sympathy for their situation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Thanks, Bull. I went back several pages but didn't see any threads on the subject. I'll dig deeper because I'm interested to see what others' thoughts are on the situation. I've only read things that hinted at what's to come in the next patch, but have avoided any direct spoilers. I know something big is going to happen, that's about it.

I hadn't thought about someone actually condemning the Pandaren for their decision to choose sides, that's an interesting take.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6521292833

Here was one of the threads -- it was over a month ago, though, so it's no surprise it fell off the first page.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
i dont realy know how to go back to there if i spawn there for you get there
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
I'm glad this received a necro for such an insightful comment.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
however if I could do it over again I would choose Horde simply because I found them to be more welcoming and engaging.

Heh. Riiiiiight.
Edited by Veloran on 2/9/2013 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/09/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Acesbow
i dont realy know how to go back to there if i spawn there for you get there

02/09/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Gandred
I'm glad this received a necro for such an insightful comment.

I feel the same. Not even my Ovaltine Decoder Ring could make sense out of that.
Reply Quote
82 Night Elf Hunter
Appreciate the insight put into this post! I haven't done the Pandaren starting quests but I find it odd that King anime Hair Varian says he doesn't tolerate friends across Enemy lines while his son is off playing with the Horde.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
02/09/2013 11:33 AMPosted by Veloran
however if I could do it over again I would choose Horde simply because I found them to be more welcoming and engaging.

Heh. Riiiiiight.

Up to the point you make the choice they are.

Then you meet Garrosh and are like "I immediately regret this decision."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]