Tanks, is this a fair statement?

78 Pandaren Monk
If the DPS is taking damage, they need to:

A. Get out of the fire
B. Check their cooldowns and aggro (DPS need omen or something similar, otherwise don't expect me to take you seriously)
C. GET OUT OF THE !@#$ING FIRE, WATCH THE TAIL SWEEPS AND CLEAVES OTHERWISE I'M TURNING THIS MOTHER%^-*ING DRAGON AROUND AND THEN NO ONE WILL BE HAPPY.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
If a tank pulls 1 group at a time the healer will get bored, I always get a tank who pulls more than 2 groups at a time if they don't I put my hot on them and watch tv maybe use an aoe heal if needed
I'm talkin bout low lvl dungeons cause healing is op at that lvl (15-79)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
OP is quoting a generalization. Yes, it's applicable. But generalizations are general. They have exceptions.

By definition.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
In general, the statement quoted is incorrect. If he had said "Generally, no one but the tank will take significant (life-threatening) damage unless they or the tank is doing something wrong in a 5 man dungeon" it would have been much more accurate. The example given of the exploding mana worms: melee dps should just gtfo and let ranged and/or the tank aoe the last 30% or so to avoid the death by explosion syndrome.

In raids it is a different story...

One thing I've noticed levelling my monk through healing dungeons is that a huge number of lfg pugs include multiple people with no clue about the boss or mob mechanics; particularly in the older instances. GOGOGO tanks pulling 3 packs of the ogres in DM north with the MS debuffs then raging at the healer when they go splat, pulling mobs that counterspell into range of the healer, dps standing in shadow crash, no one interrupting shadow blast after pulling two shadowcaster packs in OK and raging when the tank goes splat, etc., etc...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
10/14/2012 03:09 AMPosted by Conser
Sha of Violence says hi.

Actually, pretty much every boss says hi. In fact it might literally be every boss.

Wise Mari is the only one I can think of with 0 potential party damage.
Liu Flameheart in the same dungeon.
Flameweaver Koegler is another one.
Rattlegore.
Ook-Ook.

Okay there's a lot of bosses with only tank damage.
Edited by Bbqsauce on 10/14/2012 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Tanks since cataclysm, or at least non-warrior tanks have generally been self-sufficient. The combination of self-healing and mitigation is enough that most in most circumstances the tank won't take damage, or if it exceeds it they have cooldowns to fall back on.

I think a more accurate statement would be "If the tank is taking any meaningful damage outside of enrages, he is doing it wrong". Hell, these days I store 3 HoPo, run into whirlwinds and hit SoTR just for vengeance.
Edited by Kamine on 10/14/2012 6:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Death Knight
If anything, the exact opposite is true. If only the tank took significant damage, then healing would be a very boring activity. Randomly targeted attacks and heavy AE damage are a staple of Blizzard's encounter design arsenal. Not necessarily for all dungeon bosses (though it is true for most), but almost all raid bosses since Molten Core have been doing heavy damage to the raid in their entirety. You literally will not find a single raid boss in Cataclysm that did NOT do heavy raid damage even with perfect execution; Baleroc was the fight with the most tank-centric damage, and even there was plenty of damage from shards.

Plus, there's generally a lot of avoidable group/raid damage that the tank can't do anything about.

In fact, Mana Tombs is a pretty good example of this principle in action. Pandemonius does his void bolt spam at all party members in range and usually someone doesn't stop attacking when he brings his damage reflection shield up; Tavarok's Earthquake is unavoidable by melee (and in BC, couldn't be outranged by DPS, either), and his Crystal Prison is randomly targeted for 60% max health damage. That's not counting the aggro-wiping and manaburning trash.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
10/14/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Desdanova
B. Check their cooldowns and aggro (DPS need omen or something similar, otherwise don't expect me to take you seriously)

what

omen hasn't been needed in ages.

Most aggro problems can be solved by waiting 2 f-ing seconds before you blow every cd you have
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
But generalizations are general. They have exceptions.

By definition.

With the amount of AoE damage that's been added to the game, I would think there's more exceptions than not.

In a 5 man. Maybe, but not really. Some bosses randomly fixate/target on a player and persue them. During this time, there's absolutely nothing the tank can do to prevent you from taking damage as the mob is immune to taunts etc.

In a raid, it's 10000000% not the tank's fault. I'm going to use DS examples, since those are more familiar with more people...

As a tank, I can't stop you from getting to close too the boss and getting hit with his stomp (Morchock).

As a tank, I can't stop Yor'shaj (sp?) from hitting you with abilities after he absorbs the 2 slimes.

As a tank, I can't stop Zon'ozz's black pahse from damaging you.

As a tank, I can't stop you from taking damage as designed by standing in the incoming damage on the Warmaster fight.

edit: typo
Edited by Schmerzen on 10/15/2012 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault.
If the healer dies, it's the healer's fault.
If the DPS dies, it's the healer's fault for not healing them through the fire they were standing in.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/13/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Scrappypanda
"If anybody but the tank takes damage these days, the tank doesn't know what he's doing."

This statement is about as true as "If anyone dies, it's the healer's fault."

10/15/2012 03:05 AMPosted by Ðemolition

what

omen hasn't been needed in ages.

Most aggro problems can be solved by waiting 2 f-ing seconds before you blow every cd you have

Or not DPSing in prot stance.

Mister Arms warrior, who I shall not name, because he is a semi-friend... I am looking squarely in your direction...
Edited by Garofalo on 10/15/2012 12:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

"If anybody but the tank takes damage these days, the tank doesn't know what he's doing."
Please tell me this was said while running Shado-Pan Monastery.

There is a lot of avoidable damage. That damage can be only avoided by each individual player though. Then there are a few spots where damage isn't so controllable or avoidable.

Ambiguous statement is false for several more reasons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]