Why is leatherworking still so painful?

90 Night Elf Rogue
I had a terrible time leveling leatherworking. I skinned and bought items off the AH.

The grind is really bad at the thick and rugged leather spectrum of things. Knothide, Borean and even savage leather were nowhere near as bad.

For Thick leather, I killed mobs in the Badlands. Nyxondra's broodlings. They have an very fast respawn rate and there are often people there farming for the rare pet.

I ran instances (UBRS, Dire Maul) and even AQ20 for rugged leather. The truth is, the best place to farm for rugged leather is Dire Maul north. Kill the first two rooms, loot and skin the 30-40 dogs in both areas, reset and restart. (mind your lockout)

Knothide leather, I ran Karazhan. The servants quarters immediately to the right of the door, there are bats and dogs to kill. As long as you do not kill a boss, you can reset the trashmobs in this area and farm all you want. (minding the lockout)

Borean Leather, you can run Gundrak and skin the place over and over, run Violet Hold over and over or you can kill the raptors around Gundrak. While there's only 12 - 14 of them up at a time, they consistently drop 3 borean leather at a time and I actually found this to be the fastest for me.

At 400, you can use any fur lining enchant to get you to 425 - 435, which GREATLY alleviates the struggle with getting to Cataclysm level LW.

Savage leather, the Molten Front or Tol Barad have the best farming areas. For the molten front it's cinderweb spiders. In Tol Barad you can skin the crocolisks or the spiders. If you don't want to open up the Molten Front dailies, you can just use the port to Tol Barad and farm there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I spent about 18k to level lw from 1-600. The hardest part was the northrend leather and the early vanilla mats.

Cata and tbc was fairly simple to acquire and wasnt outrageously priced compared to what i shelled out for other stuff
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
I would really like to see some multiple point adds for some of the 230 to 300 LW recipes.

Maybe x5 points for Nightscape or Turtlescale items at 205-230, and something similar for Wicked and Scorpidscale stuff out to maybe 280 or 290.

Just something to alleviate the insane Ungoro-Silithus-Blasted Lands grind. If skinning has passed 300 when Leatherworking is still at 200, something is very wrong.

No one can level LW while leveling their character. They have to get to 60 first, get flight, and then live in Ungoro and pile up corpses.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Blizz fix this please. It already takes days to get from level 1 to 90 then you have to spend as much time farming to get the mats to level your profs. This game is hitting a point where it is almost not worth making a new toon.
Reply Quote
82 Worgen Druid
http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-leatherworking-guide.html

Look at that. Over 2800 individual LEATHER pieces. This isn't counting everything else.

I am really disappointed with Blizzard over this. I am on Emerald Dream, which is a pretty decently heavy realm and people want over 120g for anything past Medium Leather per stack. That's honest to god crack prices.

in the land of GW2, they need to go back and rework LW to make it easier for old and new players alike, allow everyone to have at least 1 gathering profession in addition to crafting, or they need to go back and institute a max buyout cap for major crafting items from Wrath, BC, and Vanilla so people can't be petty and greedy.

This is just simply not fun, and I am not willing to spend 30k to level this profession, nor am I willing to spend days to get the mats myself. I am very disappointed with Blizzard.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Rogue
Leatherworking was rough but I did it.

Four times.

Its fine. I like it being gated and hard to level. I quit doing it the first few times. Feels good once you get past 300.
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Warrior
I haven't leveled a LW since wotlk and never intend to again. It was bad enough leveling an engineer this time around.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
TF
Chiming in because this is *still* rough as hell. I leveled a LW for my first character back in the days of TBC. It wasnt as painful then, because leveling was slow and you were killing the things anyways.

Now, this is very painful and rough. Please update the material needs starting at Heavy.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
The armor-making professions definitely cost the most to level. The average for leatherworking is somewhere around 12,000 g if you buy everything off the auction house.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Savage is actually a breeze. Just go to Deepholm and kill the dragons that drop from the sky over and over and over. The fastest leather farming my LW did.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
I originally started LW/Skinning as I leveled my monk. The problem was by the time I got the mats, I had outleveled the gear I could make with it. I dropped LW for mining and was happy.

Now I will probably switch back and level LW. Maybe. Dunno. I'm still on the fence.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Thats why I'm going to to switch over to inscription at 90 instead of LW. I've only maxed out LW once on my rogue. If I find that Leather gear is hard to come by on the AH, I'll just xfer my rogue over to this server since hes already at 525.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
As this is still a huge effort, I thought I'd bump it.

The guide is saying I need about 410 Thick leather to get thru to rugged, then just as many rugged. How is 20.5 stacks a reasonable amount of mats to get through 50 skill points?

PTR 5.4 patch notes don't indicate any improvement... Where are you Blizzard? Trying hard not to sound like a QQ (I know, too late), but this is beyond ridiculous. I farmed herbs and capped inscription in a matter of hours with no AH purchases, so why does it have to be so much more painful to level LW to 300?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
410 thick leather should take you about 2 hours max to farm.

2 hours farming for 50 skill points is a reasonable amount. Don't look at in in absolute amounts, but rather the time it takes to gather.

That said, the same range in tailoring takes around 396 cloth, and blacksmithing takes about 320 mithril bars, so it seems in line with the other crafting professions to me.

And I can tell you, it's way faster to farm thick and rugged leather than it is to farm mithril ore or mageweave.

And if you want to look at the next level, it's 410 rugged leather, or 420 thorium bars, or 780 runecloth.

So still looks like LW is easier, to me.

Comparing to inscription is apples and oranges- you need to compare to the other crafting professions, not the service professions.
Edited by Emerys on 8/31/2013 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Only problem I had or got stuck in was the savage leather area. And that, just takes grinding in Tol Barad.

I don't think professions should be as easy as you guys think it should be, nor should it cost pennies. Hell, cooking cost me 12-15K to get all 5 subs from 575 to 600. I make well over the cost to level up to 600 leatherworking in just one week.

It should be rewarding once you max it up. And for myself, and plenty of other leather workers, I'm sure it is.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Rogue
There's actually a better spot for savage leather in Uldum, in the far southeast. There's an area with a bunch of raptor eggs you can click. When you click on them, 5-6 critter like baby raptors jump onto you, and the game tells you to jump to get them off...don't. Just aoe them, and you can skin them off yourself afterwards. The eggs respawn fast enough that I only ever had to use 2 of them, which were about 15 yards apart. I'd get about 2-4 skins from each egg before the critters hanging on me disappeared.

Another good spot is the beginning of Grim Batol. You can do it on normal or heroic (heroic gives slightly more leather). Kill the first few groups, then use the dragons to get all the groups down to about 10-20% hp, but DO NOT KILL THEM FROM THE BACK OF THE DRAGON. If you kill them from up high, you cannnt loot or skin them. If you get them very low, and then kill them in normal combat, you can loot and skin. You can either clear just the first room, or run by the first boss and clear the next long hallway as well.

The biggest hurdle for me in Leatherworking (when you're not levelling it on a high lvl) is medium and heavy leather. With the reworking of some of the dungeons, the types of leather they drop are a bit backwards...as an example, dire maul drops rugged leather, but is lower level than blackrock depths, which drops thick leather. There are also lvl 80ish mobs in Onyxia that drop heavy/thick leather.
Reply Quote
66 Human Rogue
I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to make it easier:

First, make more mobs skinnable. I've been leveling in Zangarmarsh, and it seems to me the insects, fen striders and eels could all be skinnable. Would be a big help across all zones.

Second, please make it so we can skin mobs that haven't been looted. Add in a profession quest where you get a manual of taxidermy that allows you to skin mobs that have been tagged but not looted. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing a fat clutch of skinnable mobs that you can't skin because someone's bags are full or they're feeling spiteful.

Third, it's be nice if the mini-map showed skinnable mobs. I mean, other gathering professions can see their nodes, why not skinners?I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to make it easier:

First, make more mobs skinnable. I've been leveling in Zangarmarsh, and it seems to me the insects, fen striders and eels could all be skinnable. Would be a big help across all zones.

Second, please make it so we can skin mobs that haven't been looted. Add in a profession quest where you get a manual of taxidermy that allows you to skin mobs that have been tagged but not looted. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing a fat clutch of skinnable mobs that you can't skin because someone's bags are full or they're feeling spiteful.

Third, it's be nice if the mini-map showed skinnable mobs. I mean, other gathering professions can see their nodes, why not skinners?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]