STR vs PvP Power: simplified

90 Human Warrior
I don't understand how people don't just look at the stats and know the answer but I am sick of seeing people gemmed the wrong way. So let's do some review:

14 AP = 1 DPS
1DPS * Weapon Speed = Actual added damage

So let us setup a basic equation to compare pvp power and str. 1% pvp power = 265 pvp power so lets find 1% DPS from strength:

265 pvp_power = [DPS/100]*14/2

Lets explain:
DPS/100 = 1% of dps
(1% of dps)*14 AP per dps = AP required for 1% of dps
Then divide by 2 since 1 str = 2 AP thus you have STR per % of dps.

Now this isn't the full story since you don't need to add a full 1% of dps to obtain 1% of damage when pvp power is involved, and the move pvp power you have the less required. It then looks like this:

265 pvp_power = [DPS/((1+pvp_power)*100)]*7

Now using my current gear: 35.89% pvp power and 6031 DPS lets see how 265 pvp power compares to the amount of strength required to equal 1% of damage:

265 pvp_power = [6031/((1+.3589)*100)]*7
265 pvp_power = 310.67 str

Now you can see why even though I have JC gems I use 80str/160pvp power in red slots.
-side note JC is actualy the worst profession for pvp because other professions add the strength bonus into non used slots as where JC requires you lose damage to use their gems.

It is a very simple concept, a class that uses weapon damage will always scale better off a pvp power coefficient than an additive flat damage (strength).

edit: Fixed AP to DPS ratio. Ty mercer.
Edited by Weinercopter on 10/21/2012 12:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I just like to smack people with my weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/15/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Büeller
I just like to smack people with my weapon.

This helps you do it better :)
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Warrior
But I like my JC gems.

They make me feel better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
But I like my JC gems.

They make me feel better.

I know the feeling... Hopefully they add in PvP stuff for all professions. I think BS is currently the only one that allows you to increase PvP Power because of the extra sockets. I was hoping there would be PvP Power JC gems again like in cata, but there is not :(
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Warrior
Hrrm.

Guess I'm going to get rid of all dem 320 gems for... PvP Power... stuff.

THIS FEELS WEIRD.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Also remember this is baseline calculation. No buffs, CDs or anything. PvP power only becomes more effective with those. This is the weakest PvP power can be.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
If you feel weird about PVP power, just think of it as armor penetration for players.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Warrior
Magic rock make things go splurt.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Everything you said is more or less true at 0% pvp power (it's actually 14ap per dps btw).
However 1% pvp power at 30% pvp power for instance is actually only a 0.77% increase.

Therefore: using your values of relative weights, (265pvp = 355str);
PvP power's value will decline and equal strength @ 34% PvP Damage.

Now, you never have to make the choice: "Do I want 1 pvp power or 1 strength" because gems have twice as much pvp power as strength, unless you're a JC.

If you're a JC, the JC gems are just barely an upgrade over stright pvp power. And only the one you put in your hat for the bonus :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Everything you said is more or less true at 0% pvp power (it's actually 14ap per dps btw).
However 1% pvp power at 30% pvp power for instance is actually only a 0.77% increase.

Now, you never have to make the choice: "Do I want 1 pvp power or 1 strength" because gems have twice as much pvp power as strength, unless you're a JC.

If you're a JC, the JC gems are just barely an upgrade over stright pvp power. And only the one you put in your hat for the bonus :/

PvP Power will always decline when you stack more of it(in relation to str). The most effective use of pvp power is when you have none. But using my DPS stat weight we can calculate when PvP power will == strength.

265 = [6031/((1+x)*100)]*8
x = 6031/(26500)*8 - 1
x = 0.8207 pvp power

Making the point where they are equal 82.07% PvP power. If it is 14 ap per DPS then change the 8 to 7 and you are set. I did my calc using 8.
Edited by Weinercopter on 10/15/2012 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I personally use as much "Vivid" cuts as I can.

+160 PvP Power and +160 PvP Resilience.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I personally use as much "Vivid" cuts as I can.

+160 PvP Power and +160 PvP Resilience.

They are very good in the yellow sockets.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

They are very good in the yellow sockets.

Why you copy how I gem bro?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

PvP Power will always decline when you stack more of it(in relation to str). The most effective use of pvp power is when you have none. But using my DPS stat weight we can calculate when PvP power will == strength.

265 = [6031/((1+x)*100)]*8
x = 6031/(26500)*8 - 1
x = 0.8207 pvp power

Making the point where they are equal 82.07% PvP power. If it is 14 ap per DPS then change the 8 to 7 and you are set. I did my calc using 8.

You're not discounting PvP power properly. The Equation should take the form:

265 = 355(1 - (x+0.01)/x)*100%
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Can someone dumb it down to english?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
10/15/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Reposite
Can someone dumb it down to english?

There are two gemming schemes that are resonable:

320 PVP Power in every hole + 80str/180pvp in hat.

or

Blue: Power
Yellow: Power/Resil
Red: Power/Str

One is agressive, the other is defensive. Every other geming scheme is worse than these two setups.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
personally i got for crit/power in my yellows you spend most of time in D stance any aways more crits more rage more rage more dmg, as for the self only JC gems i webt with full str ones cause 1 for 1 str still better then power
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]