The Fairy Tale Project (LF Creative Writers)

85 Worgen Warrior
Hello from Moon Guard! I am here to recruit some brave and creative writers who wish to be a part of a growing community. In the spirit of sharing I have asked a few servers to join in our efforts to write fairy tales and folklore inspired by cultures in Azeroth and beyond!

Writers will be allowed to pick as many or as little zones they wish to write about every month. Each of us will write tales inspired by the culture, history, and environment of various zones. There is no restriction to which zones as this is an exploration of folklore in Azeroth. There will also be no limits on monsters to be included in the stories, though I will encourage we use in-game monsters. If you wish to use lore characters, you must do so in a non-lorebreaking way (cannot rewrite a lore character's history, personality, etc).

Project Outline

This project will include six (or more) dedicated roleplayers and writers. Project writers will communicate mainly through Google Docs and mass emails. Their fairy tales will be posted at the end of every month in an In-Character thread.

There will be no in-game meetings. You have the control over WHEN you wish to write or post in the group as long as it is consistent and you remain active (2 stories a month and posting in discussions, very easy.)

The purpose of the project is to create short tales to add depth to roleplay. Ideally, we will explore culture and zones then add those influences within our stories. This is not just about writing pretty stories. It is about developing a better understanding of various WoW cultures to enhance immersion.

The Project Offers:

* A community that gives insight and critiques to your stories.

* Discussions on folklore, myths, fairy tales, and other methods of story telling.

* Discussions on WoW lore and application to story telling.

* Comprehensive lore and story telling resources.

* Publicity for artists, video editors, and writer-roleplayers.

* A group of nerds who want to have fun.

For more details visit the main thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6893560244

Check out our how our project is going so far: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BwR6DY5oM8M3SGtlXy1uc2pEX2M/edit

Email me if you wish to join us: wowsystar@gmail.com
Edited by Systar on 10/20/2012 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
A fairy tale (pronounced /ˈfeəriˌteɪl/) is a type of short story that typically features folkloric fantasy characters, such as fairies, goblins, elves, trolls, dwarves, giants, mermaids, or gnomes, and usually magic or enchantments. However, only a small number of the stories refer to fairies. The stories may nonetheless be distinguished from other folk narratives such as legends (which generally involve belief in the veracity of the events described)[1] and explicitly moral tales, including beast fables.

In less technical contexts, the term is also used to describe something blessed with unusual happiness, as in "fairy tale ending" (a happy ending)[2] or "fairy tale romance" (though not all fairy tales end happily). Colloquially, a "fairy tale" or "fairy story" can also mean any farfetched story or tall tale; it's used especially of any story that not only isn't true, but couldn't possibly be true.

In cultures where demons and witches are perceived as real, fairy tales may merge into legends, where the narrative is perceived both by teller and hearers as being grounded in historical truth. However, unlike legends and epics, they usually do not contain more than superficial references to religion and actual places, people, and events; they take place once upon a time rather than in actual times.[3]

Fairy tales are found in oral and in literary form. The history of the fairy tale is particularly difficult to trace because only the literary forms can survive. Still, the evidence of literary works at least indicates that fairy tales have existed for thousands of years, although not perhaps recognized as a genre; the name "fairy tale" was first ascribed to them by Madame d'Aulnoy in the late 17th century. Many of today's fairy tales have evolved from centuries-old stories that have appeared, with variations, in multiple cultures around the world.[4] Fairy tales, and works derived from fairy tales, are still written today.

The older fairy tales were intended for an audience of adults, as well as children, but they were associated with children as early as the writings of the précieuses; the Brothers Grimm titled their collection Children's and Household Tales, and the link with children has only grown stronger with time.

Folklorists have classified fairy tales in various ways. The Aarne-Thompson classification system and the morphological analysis of Vladimir Propp are among the most notable. Other folklorists have interpreted the tales' significance, but no school has been definitively established for the meaning of the tales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_tale

Folklore (or lore) consists of legends, music, oral history, proverbs, jokes, popular beliefs, fairy tales, stories, tall tales, and customs that are the traditions of a culture, subculture, or group. It is also the set of practices through which those expressive genres are shared. The study of folklore is sometimes called folkloristics. The word "folklore" was first used by the English antiquarian William Thoms in a letter published in the London journal The Athenaeum in 1846.[1] In usage, there is a continuum between folklore and mythology. Stith Thompson made a major attempt to index the motifs of both folklore and mythology, providing an outline into which new motifs can be placed, and scholars can keep track of all older motifs.
Folklore can be divided into four areas of study: artifact (such as voodoo dolls), describable and transmissible entity (oral tradition), culture, and behavior (rituals). These areas do not stand alone, however, as often a particular item or element may fit into more than one of these areas.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore

Useful Links
* http://www.wowwiki.com/Monster_Guide
* http://nyu.libguides.com/content.php?pid=272594&sid=2429845
** http://www.surfturk.com/mythology/fairytaleelements.html
Edited by Systar on 10/17/2012 2:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
-Post Deleted-
Edited by Systar on 10/20/2012 6:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
bumps
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I love this idea and while it would be something I'd be highly interested in, the requirement that I post a certain number of times a month will make me avoid it. I do understand the importance of activity but, as anyone in my guild can tell you, I'm highly forgetful and fairly busy. Not to mention prone to getting punched in the face with writer's block.

Farstriders isn't known for it's active forums, but I'll try to remember to relay accordingly. This is a fantastic idea and I do wish you the best of luck with it's success. I might try to toss a story out just so I can say I contributed. :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
You can feel free to email me and I will give you access. You can at least participate in discussions if you'd like. You may find the restriction to not be so over bearing considering we're asking for two stories at the end of November. And they're very small stories.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/17/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Systar
You can feel free to email me and I will give you access. You can at least participate in discussions if you'd like. You may find the restriction to not be so over bearing considering we're asking for two stories at the end of November. And they're very small stories.

I'm definitely considering it, I just don't want to be that person that goes "I'm in!" Then doesn't contribute at all or half asses it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
10/18/2012 04:21 AMPosted by Ura

I'm definitely considering it, I just don't want to be that person that goes "I'm in!" Then doesn't contribute at all or half asses it.

Well, just take a look around and let me know. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]