The Stalwart Guardian: A Guide to Protection

90 Tauren Warrior
Thanks for all of the input, as I said this is my first guide so I'm not ashamed to admit it needs some work. I'll sit down later and work some of these kinks out. Thanks again!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I made substantial changes to the formatting, content, and layout of all sections that have been pointed out. Hope this helps make the guide more helpful and informative, as well as easier to follow. Keep the feedback coming, it's slowly approaching serviceable quality ;)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Bumper
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
Disregard this post, macro was sound but math used to generate equation in question.
Edited by Quinten on 10/24/2012 5:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Gema are based on sockets as I have listed them. it's up to an individual to decide whether or not the bonus fit's their existing gear and stat needs, as always
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
10/17/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Zevora
On fights with non blockable damage, fights like SG, Will of the Emperor, Elegion, etc. Stam wins by a massive margin due to the pure EHP it provides.

Just wanted to note here that, at least on normal/LFR Will of the Emperor, that the vast vast majority of tank damage, assuming proper dancing, is in fact blockable melee damage; furthermore, since you will always have enough time during the Devastating Combo for Shield Block to fully recharge, you will be able to have significantly higher shield block uptime than the expected steady state 67%. Combined with a high Mastery gearing strategy, the damage reduction is incredible. It should be noted, however, that it is critical that you manage rage wisely, so as not to be in a state where you'll be taking multiple unblocked hits in a row.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Excellent guide, thanks for the hard work. Sticky requested!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Useful, thanks. Prot is my offspec, and I have only tanked Stone Guardians (normal) so far. I am finding Shield block a pain to use because of its very high rage cost. In fights with lots of damage, I have been spamming Shield Barrier, I am basically using Shield barrier like I used shield block back in vanilla wow. Is there a compelling reason to save the rage for shield block instead of using shield barrier ?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
10/19/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Ustadbaba
Useful, thanks. Prot is my offspec, and I have only tanked Stone Guardians (normal) so far. I am finding Shield block a pain to use because of its very high rage cost. In fights with lots of damage, I have been spamming Shield Barrier, I am basically using Shield barrier like I used shield block back in vanilla wow. Is there a compelling reason to save the rage for shield block instead of using shield barrier ?

Yes sir. You will notice if you keep track of your auras, that Shield Barrier has an extremely short uptime when you are under damage. In a raid setting, one application will block *maybe* an entire attack, if you're lucky, depending on how much rage you poured into it and how much the attack hit for.

Shield block, despite it's high cost, is GUARANTEED to last a full 6 seconds, and over that time you will block either 30% or 60% of *every* melee attack made against you. This is a VERY substantial amount of damage when you are talking about bosses who's auto attack hits you for 50,000 damage.
Edited by Lunchbuffet on 10/19/2012 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
10/17/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Lunchbuffet
A Protection Warrior will rarely find themselves stunned in a raid encounter, and will just as rarely find themselves below 35%

Let me guess, you haven't downed Elegon yet?
Ive saved entire raids / parties simply by kiting during second wind. That includes Will of the Emperor, and countless heroics.

10/18/2012 08:03 AMPosted by Lunchbuffet
For all intents and purposes "Priority list" and "Rotation" are used interchangeably now.

Why? Rotation assumes that you have to finish the entire thing; Im not gonna wait on my sword & board proc because i still need to use thunderclap in my "rotation".
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
Disregard pls
Edited by Quinten on 10/24/2012 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Why? Rotation assumes that you have to finish the entire thing; Im not gonna wait on my sword & board proc because i still need to use thunderclap in my "rotation".

Because players have been using it interchangeably since the start of Cataclysm, where everything became a priority list. That's why.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

Because players have been using it interchangeably since the start of Cataclysm, where everything became a priority list. That's why.

Thank you. It's semantics; technically they have different meanings but people use them as one and the same now.

10/19/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Mooskitt
A Protection Warrior will rarely find themselves stunned in a raid encounter, and will just as rarely find themselves below 35%

Let me guess, you haven't downed Elegon yet?
Ive saved entire raids / parties simply by kiting during second wind. That includes Will of the Emperor, and countless heroics.

Certain talents are more useful on particular fights than others, I didn't say it was useless all the time, I said generally the other two are better choices.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
DoJ
Adding this little bit, even though I am sure ill get trolled. Yes I got some left over season 11 stuff on rings, neck, and trinket. Had to use allot my honor on one my ingame projects for fun. I know how evil and stupid of me to do something fun. Anyways In classic as a warrior I was still figuring out what a mmorpg was, and what wow was compared to the warcraft games. Sense bc ive done a heck of allot pvp in the bgs across my 3 warriors and one dk. Always I played the dps.

For the first time in my mop I reforged my pvp gear for more tanking, and went tanking spec. It is true my kills are far less. For the sake of other warriors reading this, ive been able to mess up the other team due to the fact, that I can survive longer then any other dps. As a tank ive been able to draw hunters pets off there target and on to me. This comes in handy when your trying to keep your fc alive. Without all those pets hunters are like a ant on the ground. Another example warriors are given a fear bomb, spell reflection, and disrupting shout. Being able to survive means in a fight I can spam these abilities and seriously mess up the other team, if I use them in the right spot. This is not all I can do, just by being a tank, they auto force their dps onto me, because its not easy taking me down. This allows my team mates who are dps to get the job done. Before the other guys know whats going on, they are getting their butt kicked.

lastly it is true as a pvp tank your going to have problems taking down healers or geared dps, but you will have a much better shot at surviving to fight again later on. Its like tonight a elitist in a random was using the laughing emote on me, because I couldn't kill him. He was a druid healer. Guess what for all his pathetic laughing his team lost. So if your tired of being killed by range dps, and you want to help your team out. Consider tank for pvp. Understand your not there so much to kill as you are to disrupt the other team.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
@Sworoth

Uhh, unless I am mistaken this is a guide for tanking PvE content. You might want to actually read the OP before making comments. =P
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Pretty good guide, requested as a sticky!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
DoJ
Let me ask you something sevin have you ever seen a pvp tanking guide? They are extremely rare on the forums. So I decide to put a little pvp tanking pointers in this persons guide. Its still about tanking, so its still on topic. Are you so low, that you have to come on here and point this out to me because maybe you have no life? The pointers I put in there may help someone I dont know, but I figured instead of making another topic id put them here, as is my right.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]