Monk PVP, What spec?

90 Blood Elf Monk
My main focus on this monk is going to be pve, should be starting up raiding here soon, been on vacation, work, etc.. I will be tanking.

I want to start setting up a pvp spec for fun on this monk, I got the pvp cloak of agility off sha but have not spent conquest I have stored up.

So what spec is looking good for PVP. I see a lot of complaints about wind walker, I've been doing all right in bgs with it without much resilience gear. I don't see many monk based arena teams of any spec to see whats working. Arena is something I do on the side, I've had some success off an on, but its never really my focus.

So whats working for something fun to do pvp on the side as a monk?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I think people just aren't used to playing with or against monks yet. We're still learning how to play, and no one else really knows how to synergize with us or counter us.

For me personally, I am having an absolute blast as windwalker. We have great mobility, decent survivability, good control, and good damage. Our weakness I would say is that we don't have a lot in the way of burst, but in my opinion every spec is -supposed- to have a weakness. When a spec doesn't, something is wrong.

Can't speak for pvp as a mistweaver or brewmaster, I went WW from day one.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Healing spec is REALLY powerful I have felt so far. I still need a lot of gear and enchants and stuff, but I feel near invincible most games when I don't play stupidly. I can't imagine when I get my gear finished off.

My mobility and juking abilities are just crazy

ALso if you go mistweaver pvp best tip ever:

Learn to use your castable healing sphere a LOT.

Seriously it is so hard for people to kill you when you spam that on yourself as you run away and it costs sooo little mana you can cast it for a long time.

Windwalker needs some help and buffs and stuff, but it is still a bit underrated it is better than people give it credit for. A windwalker has the ability to beat pretty much any other melee in the game with ease once they know what they are doing, and obviously a lot of casters are pretty op right now.
Edited by Anonumos on 10/18/2012 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I can't speak to the other specs, but Mistweavers are really fun and effective. Nothing like taking away the weapon of the ret paladin who just popped wings on you, and then stunning him, and then rooting him, and then rolling away.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
WW BG's MW Arena
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
WW is terrible don't even bother. Well if your goal is to duel and BG hero then I guess it's fine. If you want to do anything of substance with it in arena or rated BGs just don't bother...

Mistweave is only good if you run a stupid zerg comp. If you can't kill anything in the first two minutes of the game you will lose because you will go oom. Seems the spec has zero ability to sustain it's healing in group pvp. On the side note it has ridiculous burst heals and is probably the only healer that can keep you alive against BMX or KFC.

Overall there are just far better/stronger classes. Don't bother with this one until it's fixed for pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Mistweaver...we're incredibly hard to kill and extremely effective.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
WW is terrible don't even bother. Well if your goal is to duel and BG hero then I guess it's fine. If you want to do anything of substance with it in arena or rated BGs just don't bother...

Mistweave is only good if you run a stupid zerg comp. If you can't kill anything in the first two minutes of the game you will lose because you will go oom. Seems the spec has zero ability to sustain it's healing in group pvp. On the side note it has ridiculous burst heals and is probably the only healer that can keep you alive against BMX or KFC.

Overall there are just far better/stronger classes. Don't bother with this one until it's fixed for pvp.

lol @ this guy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
brewmaster
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Since I already had the gear from my WW spec I gave Brewmaster a sot in BGs. Carrying the flag was tons of fun. Just throw your brew and slow everyone chasing you. Also go chi torpedo and clarity. You lose a bit not having the escape but it works out cause when you torpedo you heal. If someone (or two) stays to fight you they will die eventually but as you would expect it takes forever but unless a few peeps Zerg you you won't die. Get heals on you and it's a blast. If there is no flag though its not as good but still viable for BGs. Unless you have someone with good burst and a healer arena wouldn't look so good but your able to peel ok so it could have a place i will just have to play around with it some. Don't go WW thinking you'll burst or control like a rogue though its just not there for us yet. But there is fun to be had you just have to get in where you fit in and enjoy our very few strengths till they buff out burst and make WW better. Final thoughts. If you have the gear go mist. If you play WW or brew in pave go ahead and try Brew I think you'll enjoy it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/18/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Skadoosh
WW BG's MW Arena

Lol.... no.
WW Isn't viable past 1800
MW is probably the best healing spec in the game right now and very very viable in anything.
BM is good as well for FCing in RBGs, we bring a BM Monk and we broke 2k easily.
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Serzhant
WW BG's MW Arena

Lol.... no.
MW is probably the best healing spec in the game right now and very very viable in anything.
BM is good as well for FCing in RBGs, we bring a BM Monk and we broke 2k easily.

WHY DID NO1 TELL ME THIS
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Nice reqy :D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/25/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Serzhant
WW BG's MW Arena

Lol.... no.

BM are viable in arena? D=
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
All you kids that haven't even gotten your 1750 achieve on monk in arenas need to !@#$ seriously, you have no idea how MW is NOT viable right now in arenas 2k+
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hey, lv 1 rogue with 0 achieve, get out :D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
The thing about Windwalker, is we don't have a lot of burst, so we pretty much need a healer. We have to survive the initial burst that guys like warriors can put on us, then we can do some major dmg. If we can get a fists of fury, and a couple rising sun kicks off, big dps right there.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
You're almost the only exception, Reqy. >.>
Reply Quote
72 Pandaren Monk
lol
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
10/26/2012 06:31 AMPosted by Hoodwinked
You're almost the only exception, Reqy. >.>

Exceptions are irrelevant. People throw around the word "viable" far too often and not even using it in proper context.

Reqy and inverse for example are living proof that WW monks are VIABLE in arena past 1800.
There is no arguing the specs viability.

Now is it optimal?

hardly, there are plenty of other damage dealers in the game that bring better results to the table in place of a monk, or simply mesh well with a larger variety of comps

the path of least resistance is what it boils down to most of the time, when aiming for high end results.

Now i know ive said this in another thread but...

its like trying to place top 3 in SSF4AE at EVO using ONLY Dan or hakan...

Viable? sure it is.
Optimal? hell !@#$ing no.
Edited by Sahbin on 12/23/2012 4:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]