Disappointing Mistweaver Mastery

90 Human Monk
So I've been on both sides of the Monk Mastery fence. My shaman is 90 where I've been the recipient and my monk is a Mistweaver. It's a neat idea but very impractical. Here's a few simple changes that would really help.

1) This wouldn't even affect balance. Please make a significant graphic and sound when you hit a healing bubble. A green explosion and some noticeable sound. Actually seeing an impact other than their health moving would do a lot to show people that they didn't just waste time. The current system is a slow fade.

2) Make the balls slowly drift towards injured players. Would have little impact on PvP since people don't stand still as often. Would help a lot in PvE where it's EXTREMELY difficult to see a tiny green orb in all the flash.

If monks are going to be balanced around having these orbs, they need some help.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
It's hard to say. The effectiveness is based on your raid's willingness to actually use them, but I can see how in some cases it can be an annoyance.

From what I've heard/seen, in 25s monk mastery is actually pretty spectacular because there are plenty of people to pick up orbs regardless of where they're standing. Even in 10s on certain fights it's been about 10%+ of my healing, which is right where our mastery should be at anyway.

I wish though that I had a spell that took all of my orbs and allowed me to place them in one target location. :)
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/18/2012 09:10 AMPosted by Staccato
From what I've heard/seen, in 25s monk mastery is actually pretty spectacular because there are plenty of people to pick up orbs regardless of where they're standing. Even in 10s on certain fights it's been about 10%+ of my healing, which is right where our mastery should be at anyway.

According to some recent science, mastery is a bit less spectacular than previously believed. A full crit build monk and a full mastery build monk will somehow end up with the same amount of mastery healing. zzz
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
10/18/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Sparklefever
This would be so amazing. Like... hnnggg.

Or "popped" all my orbs for a handsome AE heal spell.
Or as a tank cooldown, made all my orbs "Jet" to my target, giving them a burst heal.
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/18/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Sparklefever
Source?

Currently top secret.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
....... Even in 10s on certain fights it's been about 10%+ of my healing, which is right where our mastery should be at anyway.

Is that 10% the expected number for Monks or all Heal specs? Just wondering because the Pally Mastery seems to make up way more than that right now. I wonder if some of the QQ about the Monk Mastery is coming from people looking at parses and comparing the two.

My stance is that in PVE content that really counts the Monk mastery is great since organized Raiders should have the awareness to use the Spheres they shouldn't be in the Raid. LFR is 25 so people can't help but trip over them. That leaves Heroics for PVE content and who cares how strong Mastery is there.
Edited by Indyana on 10/18/2012 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
It's monks only. 10-15% should be a safe bet depending on raid size.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/18/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Mist
It's monks only. 10-15% should be a safe bet depending on raid size.

Do you think the Pally mastery needs to be tweaked then?

In essence they're very similar except the Monk Mastery is RNG dependent and up to the whim of the player while the Pally Mastery is in their direct control. The benefit for Monks is the Healing Spheres persist while the Pally Bubble will dissipate quickly but in the end shouldn't the effective healing from both be similar?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
It's hard to say. The effectiveness is based on your raid's willingness to actually use them, but I can see how in some cases it can be an annoyance.

I wish though that I had a spell that took all of my orbs and allowed me to place them in one target location. :)

I had a player say to me last night "Why would we want a Mistweaver monk when so many other healing classes can do just as well without me having to stop dps to heal myself?"

While that's rude...he has a point.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

I had a player say to me last night "Why would we want a Mistweaver monk when so many other healing classes can do just as well without me having to stop dps to heal myself?"

No he's just an idiot IMO. Dating back to Vanilla good players have always been responsible helping with their own survival whether by not standing in crap, using bandages (Vanilla and TBC) or using self heals and damage reduction CD's at the right time (Wrath and beyond).

The sphere's heal for a nice amount and mean the loss of maybe one attack.
Edited by Indyana on 10/18/2012 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Pandaren Monk
HC

Well sort of. Melee have the easiest time picking up the orbs because they can DPS and move easily - casters, not so much. It's a valid point depending on who you're talking to, which I guess to some degree highlights a problem with the mastery. With a lot of fights being heavy DPS checks, I can understand how someone might feel like sparing one second to get a heal on the ground is a bit inefficient.

However, I think it's only fair to really illustrate just how much of a heal those orbs can give. Upwards heal of 60K+ on something that's free.

So any ideas on how to get this mastery a little more caster-friendly?
90 Pandaren Shaman

So any ideas on how to get this mastery a little more caster-friendly?

Unless the Sphere's proc right on top of players (defeating the purpose) I don't see what would help with a caster who acts like a rooted tree.

Maybe if they appeared even closer to an injured player so it was just a step one way or another and the radius for them to trigger was a little bigger but I think they still need to be activated by player intervention.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Mistweaver mastery already spawns at the feet of a random player. People just don't notice them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Me, I'm not a hardcore raider.

Warcraft, however, has a strong community of hardcore raiders that looks for every advantage they can get. These are the people that are more willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. The perfect recepticle for our mastery heals.

That said, as an enhancement shaman, I know I had to move off target to use a healing orb. Maybe for 1 second. That was 1 second that I wasn't swinging though. 1 second of lost DPS.

Those same hardcore raiders that would be the most likely to use our orbs are the same ones that would poo themselves at a 1% loss in dps.

Plus, yes, the orbs are fantastic. But one of two things is true.

1) Monks are balanced assuming people use the orbs. Using the orbs represents a dps loss. Monks are a dps liability vs other healers.

2) Monks are balanced without the orbs...which means monks are more efficient healers than any pother spec if the players use them.

Neither of those are good options.

Oh, and the people that don't care about small losses in dps? Yeah...they're the people that go "What do you mean I have to do something to help you heal???"

To answer your question, a simple solution would be having the orbs drift slowly towards an injured player.

They actually spawn about 3-5 yards away, not at the feet...enough so that if you are melee, you have to move off target to take advantage of them.
Edited by Zihao on 10/18/2012 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
One of the things that bugs me badly about Monk Mastery is that you can't control what you do with it. For every other class, their Mastery is something they can directly control the use of. For a Monk? It's uh...sort of like Lightwell before the Lightspring glyph. You just have to hope and pray someone is smart enough to run into them - or just happens to blunder into the little orbs along the way. Most of the healers I know like to be in control (hence our obsession with healing ^_^), and a Mastery like this is just...it's like nails on a chalkboard (even if those nails heal for a ton!).

I really like the idea of being able to periodically - perhaps with a very high chi cost or on a small CD - "burst" the orbs for an AOE heal. But, I'm not sure that Monks necessarily need more AOE healing (at least in 25 man settings).

I like the idea of being able to control placement of the orbs, and the idea of having the orbs "jet" to a target as an emergency CD is really interesting, too (like a Nature's Swiftness, only with pretty teal balls of goodness zipping across the ground to do the job).

I think that for Casters, at least, the only way to make the Mastery more friendly to them would be to either allow the Monk to control the placement of those orbs, or to somehow take away the need for the individual to move through the orbs to get the healing.

The only thing that concerns me is that if they were to make the orbs easier to use, they would probably lower the amount they heal, as I suspect the relatively-high amount they heal for is a result of the Devs assuming that many of the orbs will simply be wasted.

Edited to Add: Something that just occurred to me - what if they changed it so that the balls sort of gravitated towards people below a certain percentage of health?

Edit #2: Ha, Zihao beat me to it! I really like your idea of having the orbs sort of drift towards players.
Edited by Tiriél on 10/18/2012 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Choice:

1) I can take a monk and have to look for green balls to heal myself, taking attention away from my optimal rotation and Recount numbers.

2) I can take a Paladin/Priest/Druid/Shaman and drool onto my keyboard, half asleep, while I rest secure in the knowledge that the healer will keep me healed.

Which one of those do you think most people will take?

It's a neat, unique theory. Unfortunately, impractical. No other healing class requires active input from the dpsmonkies.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Option #3: I will expect the monk to heal me to full without using his Mastery (thus making his Mastery far less useful).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Choice:

1) I can take a monk and have to look for green balls to heal myself, taking attention away from my optimal rotation and Recount numbers.

2) I can take a Paladin/Priest/Druid/Shaman and drool onto my keyboard, half asleep, while I rest secure in the knowledge that the healer will keep me healed.

Which one of those do you think most people will take?

It's a neat, unique theory. Unfortunately, impractical. No other healing class requires active input from the dpsmonkies.

Other than the rare Patchwork style fight when is every DPS rooted to one place the whole fight? If a DPS is too dumb to run over a Green Ball while moving if they need a heal why are they in your Raid?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
10/18/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Zihao
To answer your question, a simple solution would be having the orbs drift slowly towards an injured playe

Even if they weren't that smart, if they just floated in small circles they'd eventually collide with someone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]