Riddle me this AH gurus...

90 Blood Elf Paladin
A big factor that will always drive down prices on glyphs is that they are made while leveling the profession.

Let's say I level Scribe on an alt with a plan to use him to make endgame gear. I spend 8k to level from 1-600 in the process making a lot of glyphs. I'm not worried about the 8k since I'll make more then that on the AH with a small amount of daily time investment and I'm not interested in the glyph market which I feel is much to much sitting in front of the AH listing and re-listing for relatively small profits. And yet there in my bags are a lot of glyphs I don't have a use for. The vendor price is extremely low so I decide to dump them on the AH at very low prices. If I get back 1-2k I'll deduct that from the leveling expenses then take my new Scribe into what I consider greener markets.

Which is what most people do. There are also usually a few people who make it their business to buy up all the low priced glyphs and resell them at a higher price on days when no one is dumping their glyphs into the AH cheap. I've done it myself on a few servers where I was new and needed extra gold but generally I don't think it's a good return on the time investment playing the AH.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
I like to undercut people on the AH because it brings about posts like these. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/20/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Notchin
I like to undercut people on the AH because it brings about posts like these. :)

For the record "undercut" is not what's being discussed. Purposefully crafting an item that have materials valued at one price and selling the product for way less than the value of the materials.

Undercut all day long, but why sell something for .50s when it takes 37g to make?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They may just be people who made them by leveling and are just trying to get rid of them.

I keep trying to sell rising tiger kick glyphs, not because I made them, but because it was the first glyph I discovered and rode it pretty much until 600.
Edited by Cayse on 10/20/2012 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
They may just be people who made them by leveling and are just trying to get rid of them.

I keep trying to sell rising tiger kick glyphs, not because I made them, but because it was the first glyph I discovered and rode it pretty much until 600.

Maybe, but 50s? 2g?

i know glyphs vendor for nothing but it just stands to reason that they should just list 48 hours at 37g and be done with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If it's been driven down that far, people will keep doing it. Especially if it was done to level and they don't consider it to have "cost" them anything to make it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Just another small rant...

not everyone is using auctioneer any longer. most of the crafters have moved onto TSM. As such, when looking to "destroy" resources (ore & herbs), TSM by default looks to only stacks of 5 and actually ignores singles. Repeat: by DEFAULT it will ignore stacks less than 5.

So, for you knuckleheads posting singles...you're missing out on the big spenders.

made 20,000g last week on sub 2g glyphs so please keep listing. I must not be the only one because it would appear Iodine is back in the glyph business.
Reply Quote
27 Worgen Warlock
Just another small rant...

not everyone is using auctioneer any longer. most of the crafters have moved onto TSM. As such, when looking to "destroy" resources (ore & herbs), TSM by default looks to only stacks of 5 and actually ignores singles. Repeat: by DEFAULT it will ignore stacks less than 5.

So, for you knuckleheads posting singles...you're missing out on the big spenders.

made 20,000g last week on sub 2g glyphs so please keep listing. I must not be the only one because it would appear Iodine is back in the glyph business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFods1KSWsQ
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As mentioned by others, I don't think I mind a guy who wants to dominate a market even at a 50% less...as long as I could see they were still making a profit.

Really? Why does/should it matter to you if anyone makes a profit?

Look at my toon name. Can you figure out why I created it? Just as you may feel about whether others are making a profit, I hated the absurdly high prices on items that just didn't seem justified/warranted, IMHO. Even more so when said item was obtained simply getting lucky and winning a loot roll. or items obtained simply playing the game.

Items I craft I sell really cheap. I farm all my mats, so I'm not out any gold if I sell an item you say should cost 37 gold.

Items I farm or loot while questing I sell for right around the vendor price. The BoE items from rare spawns, 450 blues, etc I'll sell at 75% off the lowest priced same item listed in AH.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We get it, you're not into the whole gold thing.

However, if you sell a BOE, especially those attractive to pre-90 PVPers, I'll most likely buy it from you and mark it up to the original price. Stuff like that sells on a regular basis, so why not just make some gold from it. You're basically shooting yourself in the foot on that one.

What's the original price for a crafted Item?

What's the original price of a crafted item when you farmed all the mats?

What's the original price of an item that drops of a mob you kill while questing?

The original price is whatever a person sells it for.

I'm purposely crafting the 476 Mail Chest pieces and selling them for up to 7.5K less than listed AH prices. I mean, what is the original price for that item?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Really? Why does/should it matter to you if anyone makes a profit?

I'm pretty sure, I'll never convince you one way or another but lets take: ORE : Bars : <craft>

I've been buying an insane amount of ore at 29g a stack, but I needed to re-supply bars for my transmute master's cooldown. I looked up the pricing of bars and they were selling for 110g. That made no sense to me as I could just buy another 5000g @ 29g a stack of ore which would put the bar price at 58g. So, I bought 7500g worth of ore and smelted it to bars. I took 1/2 of it and sold it for 75g a stack and wound up selling most of it before I even logged off.

That makes sense.

In your case you claim you "farm your own mats". Lets say you have an herbalist on your character list. You can sell stacks of herbs, unmilled all day every day at 34g a stack. You can not list enough herbs to over populate at 34g a stack.

According to my TSM, at around 34g a stack of herbs that puts an average price of ink of about 6-7g per ink. For the sake of argument we'll say "6g". Even if we eliminate "old herbs" as the example above, and only crafted inks that need "ink of the sea" or Panda inks...you need 3 inks per glyph (that's 18g 'cost').

So back to you, you spend all your time flying around herbing during your play time. Then you have to be logged in "x" time to mill it. Milling has an EXTREME time cost. Then you have to go through your catalog to make 3-6 glyphs of each glyph of that ink.

Why would you go through the process of farming, milling, & crafting to turn around and sell the glyph for "17g or less"?

I simply can not wrap my head around that. Are you that good of a guy that you'll go through all that hassle? Why not just go straight to the AH and list the herbs at "30g" and sell them all before you even log off?

Even if you don't "need' gold or don't feel inclined to "make gold". You still have to have some self worth, you are spending time on this...you devalue yourself? your time?

Right now, the glyph mkt has, i think, 4-6 "big timers" and another 2-3 of us "wannabe". I'm still making gold on it but the amount of time to list, relist, and get them out of my mailbox has made it not worth it. I have set threshold pricing on my glyphs so I don't even list glyphs for less than their cost. I now have 3 full inscription bags full that I don't even list at this point because people are selling glyphs that have a cost of 18g+ for 50s.

My favorite story of the last week only made me a handful of gold. A few weeks ago, when i first started this thread, I bought a METRIC TON of Iodine's auctions. I hung onto them for a few weeks, and then they simply weren't reselling. I finally got fed up with having as many as 5 bags that weren't listing that I created a new auction group and listed them at 1g. I sold 100% of that entire batch, but laughed my tail off when I saw the buyer was Iodine. Granted it was MAYBE 140 glyphs or so and at a 50s profit i made a whole "70g" in two weeks...but I still found it funny that the person I bought a full bag of glyphs for at 50s or less (some as low as 10s), I turned around and sold them right back.

I guess that's the advantage/disadvantage of using an addon like TSM, because you often buy and sell blindly. Which leads me to your point about absurd pricing. A LOT of us use Auctioneer or TSM to mass list and sell. A lot of times I can't tell you the value I'm selling any given glyph or gem but I can tell you I set thresholds and never sell bellow. When I notice a particular kind item is stacking up and not selling, I quit producing it.

I hope you continue to be a good guy. I'm not a big enough fish that I can do this with crafted gear, but I'm in the 250k gold land just on Glyphs, Ore and Bars and I'm ok with that. I can buy anything in the game and not have to actually "work" for it.

I just don't understand why people would purposefully sabotage their own bank account. Ore can be sold all day long at 29g stack. Herbs can be sold all day long at 34g a stack. You have to put some value on your time (i hope), but if you want to continue spending time gathering and then significantly undercut just to live up to your name...there are a lot of us that will just snatch up you auctions and just re-list them. I personally can't do it with "gear", but crafting materials I have spent as much as 25k on a single spending splurge and I'm a small fish.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Do I get to put a gold cost on the time I just spent reading that post?
Edited by Velitharia on 11/28/2012 8:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I wanna sell cheap glyphs too now, to see how insane I can drive Cana
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Death Knight
[quote] A few weeks ago, when i first started this thread, I bought a METRIC TON of Iodine's auctions. I hung onto them for a few weeks, and then they simply weren't reselling. I finally got fed up with having as many as 5 bags that weren't listing that I created a new auction group and listed them at 1g. I sold 100% of that entire batch, but laughed my tail off when I saw the buyer was Iodine. Granted it was MAYBE 140 glyphs or so and at a 50s profit i made a whole "70g" in two weeks...but I still found it funny that the person I bought a full bag of glyphs for at 50s or less (some as low as 10s), I turned around and sold them right back.

I don't sell a glyph for less than 5g. Your story has more fiction than the Bible and is less entertaining. Let me link you my current logarithm for making more money than you:
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Give_1f9afb_2128730.gif
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/27/2012 11:26 AMPosted by Sellforless
What's the original price for a crafted Item?

Fair question - the 'value' of an item is only what you can sell it for. That's all I got for ya here.

What's the original price of a crafted item when you farmed all the mats?

Currently - i would argue that "ore" based items should be based items should be priced with the concept that currently "29g" per stack of ore (58g per bar) and that Herb based items should be based on "34g" per stack of herbs. In terms of crafted materials, you need to have Harmonies which need 10 motes. The most efficient way to produce motes to make harmony is farming. You can start making them at revered which produces 12 motes and at exalted you can produce 16 per day.

I agree with you that the 'cost' of an item shouldn't be based on pushing the button, it should have a cost associated to the materials that have a TIME cost associated to it.

FWIW - As of last week the best return on your Harmony is to trade them for Golden Lotus and craft Flasks with an elixir master. Flasks sell individually for significantly less but when you consider you get 3 Golden Lotus per harmony and you can get most stacks of herbs for 34g and factor in procus from elixir master. Little time cost with a decent profit but most flasks sell out Tues/Wed and your left overs will be gone on Thursday (right now Stamina flasks don't sell as quickly and slowly spirit flasks are selling faster and faster).

What's the original price of an item that drops of a mob you kill while questing?

I don't even factor that. Drops are so low compared to what you can purchase/produce. consider the ones you get questing as "gravy" or "bonus". (I'm speaking specifically about motes/harmonies)

The original price is whatever a person sells it for.

Fair enough - but again, even if your gathering and producing 100% on your own. If you're selling the item for less than "29g a stack of ore" or "34g a stack of herbs" than wouldn't it be a better use of your time to just sell it straight up then go through the process of milling/prospecting &/or crafting?

I'm purposely crafting the 476 Mail Chest pieces and selling them for up to 7.5K less than listed AH prices. I mean, what is the original price for that item?

7500g "less", is one concept...but are you still profiting? The amount of time producing it, what is the typical stack of Leather selling for? what is the typical stack of scales selling for?

is selling for 7500g "less", more profitable than selling the stacks of Scales on their own and then using your Harmonies to craft flasks?

you might be undercutting the market for 7500g, but you might be able to generate a better profit if you didn't craft it at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]