JC Research

90 Orc Rogue
So is it just me or is anyone else getting nothing but pvp cuts when they do their research for whatever blue gem they choose? I got nothing but pvp cuts for amethyst, vermillion onyx, and jade. I actually had to get all the pvp cuts for amethyst just so i could finally get a pve gem. Is this intended or is rng just terrible for me?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Not really, but getting things like the int/stam cuts make me want to throw kittens. Why the hell do gem types even exist if they're terrible for everyone?
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
things like this are why I decided to switch to being a raw mat supplier as soon as I heard about the mop system

oranges sell for around 200g/per on my server; I'd be mad as !@#$ if I got +parry/+resil, for example
Edited by Bananawafer on 10/17/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Now do you miss the daily token system?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
10/17/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Arkthan
Now do you miss the daily token system?
I never hated that system. I do however hate this system they have now where they leave it up to rng to decide what cuts you get. I'm not a big pvper so it confuses me as to why I keep getting pvp cuts. Hopefully in future expansions they revert the jc system back to the way it was in wrath/cata or at least let us turn 3 of whatever type of blue gem into a token and then we can decide what cut we want to buy from the vendor.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Death Knight
I actually far prefer this system to tokens. Instead of taking a couple of days to rack up tokens just to buy one recipe, I can learn a new recipe everyday. Plus, you can purchase the cheapest gems to learn the better recipes. For example, I learned all the Sun's Radiance cuts because those gems are cheapest on my server. Now whenever I do research on Sun's Radiance, I learn a random recipe of another color.
Edited by Notatauren on 10/17/2012 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
10/17/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Notatauren
Now whenever I do research on Sun's Radiance, I learn a random recipe of another color.

I actually didn't know it worked like this. I'll still stick to mat supplying though
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
10/17/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Bananawafer
Now whenever I do research on Sun's Radiance, I learn a random recipe of another color.

I actually didn't know it worked like this. I'll still stick to mat supplying though

Ha I didn't know it either. I pretty much stopped doing the daily research. I liked getting cuts I needed for my main and alts. This is just to random for my taste. I'll just sell any mats I get and buy what I need in regards to gems.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
For the most part, yes, PvP cuts and it sucks since they don't seem to sell and I have no interested in ever cutting them.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
I have an idea. why not just give every jc every pattern when they log on to the xpac. then there's no challenge at all involved with it and everyone is handed everything. Seems to be what everyone wants. Doesn't matter how blizzard does it.

I really can't stand people with that stupid entitlement complex.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
10/18/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Máyhem
challenge

lmao @ you thinking using 3 gems a day is a "challenge"

you have no idea what you're talking about. you seem to think inconvenient = good, just like you probably think grindy = hard
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
10/18/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Bananawafer
challenge

lmao @ you thinking using 3 gems a day is a "challenge"

you have no idea what you're talking about. you seem to think inconvenient = good, just like you probably think grindy = hard

I enjoyed the token system. It made gems worth something and you were able to pick what you wanted to pick up. Now the people who whine about how terrible it is are whining about the new system we've been giving. They want everything handed to them it seems.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I was a-OK with the token system. At the start of an xpac, there are only a few gems I want -- the best "all purpose" gems for each of my toons. So I know I can get all of those within a certain number of days of doing dailies.

After I've learned the half-dozen or so cuts that I'll be using, additional tokens are fun money. I can pick up patterns at the request of guild mates, buy JC-only gems, or just plain stop doing the JC dailies.

But now it's a gamble. I've only done research a few times on my JC, but he already has a couple of PVP cuts that I would never buy, as well as some dumb-as-rocks color combo that no one will ever use.

Not to say that I "hate" the research system. It's clever for what it is, and lends a nice bit of RP. I think it'd be good to extend it into things like alchemy and cooking. Probably not to LW/Tailoring/BS, because it doesn't seem sensible that you could "discover" a new helmet plan. I just wish I could focus the research a bit more.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I have an idea. why not just give every jc every pattern when they log on to the xpac. then there's no challenge at all involved with it and everyone is handed everything. Seems to be what everyone wants. Doesn't matter how blizzard does it.

I really can't stand people with that stupid entitlement complex.

They already did this. JCs can train all of the available cuts in their capitol cities. The catch is they might need to cut 20 of the gem before getting a perfect cut rare. The research system just allows you to cut the gem once so that you can craft enchanting mats with your uncommon gems.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The way they have it now keeps the market flowing. So many people want X class so they power level that class to max level as fast as they can. Well professions are now needed and lets say you do pick up Jewelcrafting. Each class/spec has at most 3 useful cuts. 1 Primary Stat / 1 Prim+Sec Stat / and 1 Prim/sec + Hit. and thats basically it for the most part (PvE speaking). Well giving the 3 token per cut, thats just over a week you can have all the cuts your toon needs. You are now, no longer in the market for buying gems. Well The way they have it now randomizing what gem cuts you get allow you to collect all the cuts much faster. Although they may not be the cuts you need, or even a cut that is complete trash, they keeps almost everyone in the market looking to buy gem cuts for a much longer time than before. No matter what it is or if they are a jewelcrafter or not.

I'm liking the new system so far even tho my first cut was a +Parry/Hit gem thats only worth 5g on my server. I like the gamble and not knowing what you are going to get next.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Going to resurrect this thread to add how I really dislike the MoP JC research system. I just want Etched Imperial Amethyst, Skillful Vermilion Onyx, and Sensei's Wild Jade. I've already researched over 36 cuts and still haven't gotten any of them. Over 108 rare gems. And the worst part is I've only unlocked about 1/2 the number of gems. I really don't like being forced to learn recipes I have no use for, nor will I be able to sell since they are worthless on the AH.

I hate dailies, and I'd rather do the Cata JC daily than this crap research system.
Edited by Druga on 12/2/2012 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
If you're only researching gems so that you can cut them for yourself, you're doing it wrong. It's cheaper to simply buy them off the AH or cut a pile of greens for any perfects.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]