Constant Freezing and Crashing

Support Forum Agent
Lets move it to a different drive. We're trying to eliminate factors from this equation and see if we can narrow it down.

We're unable to reproduce this, so it may be something locally.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I'm having this same problem since 5.0.5.

(Running OS 10.6.8)

I have to run it in windowed mode because otherwise I cannot force quit the hanging program, and have to hard shutdown my MBP.

Although these crashes have happened on several toons in numerous circumstances, one thing I've noticed is that if my toon is on a taxi, and it crosses a zone boundary, it may crash at exactly that point. This may be simply a coincidence, because it has crashed so many times, in so many other circumstances (like the toon standing still, with me not applying any input).

At this point, the game is unplayable.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Does this create an error report?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Yes, four in the last hour, not including the cases where I Force Quit with no error report.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Problem solved by defrag.

Details in this thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200301722#1
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I was able to for 1 week again, but not this past week. I followed this guy's instructions of defragging and just to be clear defagging is rebuilding your directory right? Cuz Discwarrior does not have a defrag option, so knowing what defragging is I am assuming it's rebuilding your directory. Can someone please tell me how to fix this issue? I don't get it... Does someone else who had this issue fix it?
Edited by Greconicus on 12/2/2012 7:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
...and just to be clear I did install on another drive and I had the same issue.

PLEASE HELP.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Have you tried applying the 10.8.2 combo and see if that helps? In situations like this, it might benefit reinstalling all updates from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2.

A lot of what the game depends on require all updates to be complete and properly installed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I followed this guy's instructions of defragging and just to be clear defagging is rebuilding your directory right? Cuz Discwarrior does not have a defrag option...

In short, your drive's directory is its address list for everything written to that drive.

Imagine if you had a room full of file cabinets chock full of folders with pieces of paper in them, and on the door of that room is a directory that tells you exactly which piece of paper, in which folder, and in which cabinet the information you need is written on.

Now imagine that you spill coffee on part of the directory and it becomes unreadable. You've just lost information because you can't find it anymore. The info is still in a folder in the room somewhere, but you have no idea where to look. You now have a corrupted directory.

Disk Warrior may be able to solve this problem. It keeps the directory neat and efficient if you just use it for maintenance, and it can often recover files lost due to directory corruption. It can also rebuild partition tables.

Now, imagine that you have a book saved in the filing room, but it's big, so when it was filed it was split into pieces. A few chapters are in one folder, a few chapters are in the next cabinet over, and the rest is in a cabinet all the way across the room. When the hard drive does this to a file, that file is said to be fragmented. If you have a bunch of fragmented files scattered all over your drive, you use a de-frag tool to move everything around so that, in this case, all the parts of the book are stored next to each other, in order.

A hard drive that is excessively fragmented will take a lot longer loading the information you need to, in this case, display in-game graphics as a toon moves from one area to a new one. That's because it needs to find each piece of the file, no matter how far apart they are scattered, and then assemble them in order. In short, fragmentation equals a slow hard drive, which equals degraded computer performance.

I use Drive Genius to do de-fragging on my Macs.

Critical Note: ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DRIVE before you de-frag. Defraggers copy things, move them to other places, and write over stuff. When they screw up, if you didn't back up, you are screwed.

Drive Genius does a lot of other stuff, as well. It's a well rounded, if a little bit flashy, drive utility. In my opinion, however, Disk Warrior is far superior for recovering from any kind of directory snafu. Disk Warrior has fixed problems for me that neither Apple's Disk Utility nor Drive Genius could touch. Disk Warrior once fixed a drive for me that couldn't even mount to the system. Neither Apple's Disk Utility nor Drive Genius could even see it, and Disk Warrior fixed it.

FYI: I have no association with the companies that make either of these products. There are other utilities available, these just happen to be the two that I've used ever since I experienced my first drive related issue on a Mac, oh so many years ago...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]