Blood Dk Duelwield Tanking

1 Human Hunter
I'm thinking of making my Blood DK Into duel wielding 1 handers, I read that 2 handers give more stats, or so i read. But i just want to know if its a valid style, The only problem i see with it is that i might need more hit and expertise, That could be used in mastery/parry/dodge. What do y'all think?
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
No.
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter
If you don't have a valid reason, than don't even comment
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/17/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Pamerah
If you don't have a valid reason, than don't even comment

Look at one of the other hundreds of threads on this topic.

The Search engine is there for a reason.

Valid answer for your question:

10/17/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Pamerah
But i just want to know if its a valid style,

10/17/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Ðemolition
No.
Edited by Rijdot on 10/17/2012 5:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
it is interesting to note that [item="scimitar of seven stars" /] is on the blood dk loot table for lfr nightmare of shek'zeer..

is this an oversight?

seems like a waste of a coin roll imo
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
But i just want to know if its a valid style, The only problem i see with it is that i might need more hit and expertise

you have a fundamental misunderstanding of several things.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
it is interesting to note that [item="scimitar of seven stars" /] is on the blood dk loot table for lfr nightmare of shek'zeer..

is this an oversight?

seems like a waste of a coin roll imo

Blood dks have also been reported getting the elegon axe.

Warlocks gave gotten spirit gear.

Warlock dungeon journal for heroics shows spirit trinkets but not the DPS one for gate of the setting stun.

The dungeon journal filter/LFR loot system is broken.

Warlocks still don't use spirit and blood dks still don't dual wield tank.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
The only problem i see with it is that i might need more hit and expertise

No. Your big problem here is that Blood does not have Threat of Thassarian.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm thinking of making my Blood DK Into duel wielding 1 handers, I read that 2 handers give more stats, or so i read. But i just want to know if its a valid style, The only problem i see with it is that i might need more hit and expertise, That could be used in mastery/parry/dodge. What do y'all think?

This has been answered lots of times (like, lots and lots of times) but I will answer it again.

DW Blood Tanking is not a viable approach. All of the attacks that Blood DKs use calculate damage based off of main hand weapon. That means that Death Strike, Rune Strike, Heart Strike, Blood Boil will all do significantly reduced damage using a 1 handed weapon versus a 2 handed weapon. The reduction in damage will severely limit your threat.

Basically, it can be done (in that the game allows you to equip two 1 handed weapons) but you are giving up DPS and threat and gaining nothing in return.
Edited by Taldorius on 11/14/2012 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Only thing stopping blood tanks from being viable is that your abilities don't hit with 2 weapons. It's a damage and threat loss. A crippling one at that. Don't do it kids.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You have to be drunk to viably DW tank
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
11/16/2012 02:04 AMPosted by Kickgruntler
You have to be drunk to viably DW tank

I know better but Blizzard has them on the looting tables for BloodTanking SO BLIZZARD MUST BELIEVE IN DW TANKING!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
I wish a lot of the Blood tanks I get in dungeons while leveling would come here and read these forums. I leveled a Blood DK and refused to DW even if my 2h was crap compared to the 1h weapons dropping. So many times, that is the common excuse, they don't have a good 2h. Get a damn AH green for even level 84 that is ilvl 377, better than DW and having no threat gen.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
DW tanking hasn't been viable since Patch 3.0.3. The only reason it was viable before then was because DKs couldn't hit the defense cap for raids without Naxx/OS/EoE gear unless they dual-wielded tank weapons from heroic dungeons. Then they made Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle, making 2H tanking the only way to go.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
11/16/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Sollune
DW tanking hasn't been viable since Patch 3.0.3. The only reason it was viable before then was because DKs couldn't hit the defense cap for raids without Naxx/OS/EoE gear unless they dual-wielded tank weapons from heroic dungeons. Then they made Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle, making 2H tanking the only way to go.

99% sure you didn't need to DW to defense cap
Edited by Ðemolition on 11/16/2012 4:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I'm quite sure the Rune of Stoneskin Gargoyle made reaching def cap pretty loleasy.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
11/16/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Sollune

What reality were you living in back then? Plenty of DKs were tanking Naxx25 with 2handers, including the DK in my guild >_>;

They made Stoneskin Gargoyle because there was no such thing as a tanking 2hander with regards to stats on the weapon, which people were asking about and were concerned about for DK tanking specs. Instead of making actual tanking-itemized 2handed weapons (i.e: Weapons with Defense Rating/Dodge/Parry/Armor) exclusively for DKs, they opted to give them Stoneskin Gargoyle, because that's a buttload easier than clogging the already clogged loottables with stuff only literally one class can use.

Furthermore, DW tanking actually was viable much later, but as an alternative (and albeit inferior for progression raiding) spec to Blood; but Blood had had the ball in its court anyway thanks to a lot of choice talents being situated deep in the tree (read: Will of the Necropolis). Hell, it even got a runeforge to support it (Rune of the Nerubian Carapace), which (afaik) is still around to this day, and probably still causing confusion everywhere as to whether or not DWing is viable.

11/16/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Gødsent
I'm quite sure the Rune of Stoneskin Gargoyle made reaching def cap pretty loleasy.

It certainly made it beyond a non-issue near the end of the expac; hell my DK couldn't get rid of the stuff fast enough. She was at something like 575-ish Def skill by the Cata patch or something stupid.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
11/17/2012 01:54 AMPosted by Lowmaine
It certainly made it beyond a non-issue near the end of the expac; hell my DK couldn't get rid of the stuff fast enough. She was at something like 575-ish Def skill by the Cata patch or something stupid.

Wasn't defense rating better than dodge by that point
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/17/2012 02:05 AMPosted by Ðemolition

Not past cap, no.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

I remember some math stating that the best way to rack up avoidance was stacking defense rating after you were hitting harsh diminishing returns on the ratings, but I don't remember if it was right or the reason why.

Once reforging happened it all turned into Mastery anyway.
Edited by Lowmaine on 11/17/2012 4:19 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]