so mages nerfed 5.1

64 Pandaren Mage
So after reading the patch notes today, mages were nerfed I believe. I am a new mage can any experienced mages tell me how bad these nerfs are or if its not horrible.

And why the hell wasnt warriors nerfed or even touched. Thats just not right.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I really don't understand the cooldown on Pyroblast. It seems to me like it literally breaks the spec.
Reply Quote
I think it will break the spec to, atleast take whatever fun was left in it out.

It's truely amazing how they seem to finally fix something and then break it on purpose, waiting around for the cooldown it just going to be boring.

I would rather they nerf the damage then force us to wait 3 seconds, and I am really uncertain how the heating up and instant pyro proc animations are going to work after this change. I assume instant pyro animation won't proc unless pyro is available?

Maybe I am reading it all wrong, but I finally enjoyed playin my mage again, sorry to see them change something they finally got right.
Reply Quote
64 Pandaren Mage
I was talking more about the 25% decrease to ice barrier and the CD increases.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/18/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Arçhmage
I was talking more about the 25% decrease to ice barrier and the CD increases

that just makes the squishiest class in the game even easier to kill

i'd be fine if they nerfed burst, but i have no idea why they'd nerf the survivability of the #1 train class in the game
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Yea I don't get the ice barrier thing either. #1 strat in arena is to train the mage and shut him down, and with all the damage it is very hard to survive at all. Been watching a lot of gladiator streams like venruki and that's what every team always does. Before the nerf, venruki would almost die or die ALL the time. DKs, hunters, warriors, shamans, ferals, etc.. seriously eat away at the mage.

I don't see this as being a good change at all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/18/2012 10:58 AMPosted by Rentrenus

that just makes the squishiest class in the game even easier to kill

i'd be fine if they nerfed burst, but i have no idea why they'd nerf the survivability of the #1 train class in the game

I think the thinking is less in the nerf-department.

Take a look at wow-popular and you'll notice what is probably true: you, me, and probably 98% of mages use ice barrier as the default talent choice.

By making it worse, it encourages us to choose other talents.

Cause you know, that's so much better than improving the other two talents . . .

The other talents are legit trash. Temporal shield healing can still be dispelled and blazing speed is a joke
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I have played a mage since the end of BC. You can call me a complainer you can call me a whiner all you wish to. These changes are COMPLETELY UNWARRANTED as long as Warriors/Hunters/Feral/DK's and even Ret paladins remain untouched. I got a crit from a warrior for 200k in a BG less than a week ago, I had the default 40% damage reduction plus an additional 7-8 (had maybe 4-5 PVP pieces). As it stands now I need 3 more pieces and my damage reduction is still only at approximately 55%. That is a COMPLETELY absurd hit. I was also hit by a warlock for 250k.

Both of those classes that took 2/3 of my health in one attack have significantly more survivability than mages do.

That being said, if these changes do in fact make it to live I vow to cancel my subscription uninstall the game and never play it again.

I'm tired of mages being picked on, they have not been anywhere CLOSE to highly populating the top tier of arena teams for a significant amount of time yet the classes that do remain on top.

Please release these changes, I can use an extra $15.00 a month.

Edit: I will admit spellsteal was moderately over powered, however if you're going to nerf that then you should be doing the same across the board not just to ours.
Edited by Phenominon on 10/18/2012 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
10/18/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Phenominon
I have played a mage since the end of BC. You can call me a complainer you can call me a whiner all you wish to. These changes are COMPLETELY UNWARRANTED as long as Warriors/Hunters/Feral/DK's and even Ret paladins remain untouched.

When will the Allian- I mean you mages realize that the Hord- I mean those other classes exist in their current state BECAUSE of your bigotry and classism?!

/Lor'Themar Theron
Edited by Zhenpo on 10/18/2012 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
We're so fragile, I don't know why we needed DPS nerfs. I mean I know why it's happening, because of "PVP Balance" which for me servers to suck the life out of PVE play.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
10/18/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Tyburn
We're so fragile, I don't know why we needed DPS nerfs. I mean I know why it's happening, because of "PVP Balance" which for me servers to suck the life out of PVE play.

That's the thing that I do not understand, it's not even because of PVP balancing. Look at the PVP standings, there's maybe 1-2 mages at the top where there are 20-30 Warriors/Hunters/Locks/S priests.

We do not have that much utility anymore, they already removed half of our snares and roots.

The amazing thing that I can't seem to grasp is that, even with the current over powered state of hunters they are buffing them/side nerfing them.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

I think the thinking is less in the nerf-department.

Take a look at wow-popular and you'll notice what is probably true: you, me, and probably 98% of mages use ice barrier as the default talent choice.

Cause you know, that's so much better than improving the other two talents . . .

The other talents are legit trash. Temporal shield healing can still be dispelled and blazing speed is a joke

Agreed.

As a PVE mage even if they reduced ice barrier to 1/3 of its current value it would still be the only viable choice due to its effectiveness, long duration and ease of use. In contrast, Temporal Shield only works when you know you're about to take a hit, and Blazing Speed is just worthless for PVE.

For PVP, Ice Barrier still looks like the clear choice for the same reasons. Temporal Shield doesn't help much against a train because it'll get dispelled anyways. And even for PVP Blazing Speed is a total joke: Very hard to use and offering almost no benefit.

All nerfing ice barrier will do is make us squishier. 98% of mages will still take ice barrier as their talent from that tier regardless of spec and gameplay.

Rather than nerfing ice barrier it would be better to buff the other talents. Blazing speed especially needs a major buff. Or they should get rid of it and replace it with something actually useful in it's place. How about something like the following:

"Improved blink" - reduces blink's cooldown to 2 seconds, but increases blink's mana cost to 20% of base mana. After blinking you are protected by a mana shield that reduces incoming damage by 20% for 2 seconds.
Edited by Mistwynd on 10/18/2012 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/18/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Rentrenus
They simultaneously improved blazing speed

You can't really call that an improvement, it's current state is 2%
Not really helping much by being able to use it after taking any dmg
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The real point is, even with a 25% nerf to our shield, we ALL will STILL take it over Temporal Shield and Blazing Speed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have played a mage since the end of BC. You can call me a complainer you can call me a whiner all you wish to. These changes are COMPLETELY UNWARRANTED as long as Warriors/Hunters/Feral/DK's and even Ret paladins remain untouched. I got a crit from a warrior for 200k in a BG less than a week ago, I had the default 40% damage reduction plus an additional 7-8 (had maybe 4-5 PVP pieces). As it stands now I need 3 more pieces and my damage reduction is still only at approximately 55%. That is a COMPLETELY absurd hit. I was also hit by a warlock for 250k.

Both of those classes that took 2/3 of my health in one attack have significantly more survivability than mages do.

That being said, if these changes do in fact make it to live I vow to cancel my subscription uninstall the game and never play it again.

I'm tired of mages being picked on, they have not been anywhere CLOSE to highly populating the top tier of arena teams for a significant amount of time yet the classes that do remain on top.

Please release these changes, I can use an extra $15.00 a month.

Edit: I will admit spellsteal was moderately over powered, however if you're going to nerf that then you should be doing the same across the board not just to ours.

So unless you have great offense and defense you won't play? That's a real joke. You're delusional if you don't think mages need to be toned down a little. Warriors and hunters as well but don't act like mages are in a bad spot even after this nerf , maybe you should take a look at your play style or teammates.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

A half-second speed boost that you can only use when you get hit? An ultra-short duration shield that you need prescience to use effectively and is vastly out-performed by Ice Barrier in all but absolutely ideal conditions?

A 25% nerf is not going to convince most people to use those talents. Bad talents are still bad.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Gonna el oh el these changes!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

Rather than nerfing ice barrier it would be better to buff the other talents. Blazing speed especially needs a major buff. Or they should get rid of it and replace it with something actually useful in it's place. How about something like the following:

"Improved blink" - reduces blink's cooldown to 2 seconds, but increases blink's mana cost to 20% of base mana. After blinking you are protected by a mana shield that reduces incoming damage by 20% for 2 seconds.

How about actually giving us back the original Improved Blink, maybe with a cooldown reduction, instead? An increased mana cost is just punishing arcane specs for no reason, and they have really been punished enough already. And a damage reduction during the 2 seconds you are least likely to be taking damage seems kind of pointless.

As for Temporal Barrier... The talent has 2 serious problems. (1) It can be dispelled - and (2) you need to be psychic to use it. Make it undispelable, make it last 60 seconds, and make the X second window used to determine healing, start when you first take damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]