What's a warrior gotta do for AoE threat?

90 Undead Warrior
This feels embarrassing. I had great tanking technique in BC, I did well in Wrath, I stopped playing during Cata, and now that I'm back for Pandaria, I'm finding myself struggling horribly with multi-target threat. Old Shockwave + TClap + Shout isn't cutting it anymore, even with the occasional free Cleave proc.

My outdated instincts have been to stack mitigation and not let hit/exp drop too low, but clearly that's incorrect given my situation.

Any guidance would be appreciated, be it on stats or rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Until you get to normal elegon/will and hard modes, you don't really need shield block or barrier.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
When the problem is that pronounced, I'd make sure that you didn't accidentally stay in Battle Stance when you last switched specs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
yeah, i've accidentally been in the wrong stance a few times.

for AOE threat, most of the hard part comes from the pull - once stuff is on you, you're pretty OK. what you could do to improve things in the meantime:

- Glyph of Death From Above (Heroic Leap into a pack harder)
- Glyph of Resonating Power (TC hits harder tho less often - better for snap threat)
- try switching talents from Shockwave to Dragon Roar

if you want, you could always talent into Bloodbath and hit that before you pull an AOE pack. that really shouldn't be something you need to do though.

remember that revenge hits 3 targets now (better than cleave!). make sure you hit it on CD, delaying it only for shield slam. cleave isn't that hot atm, so don't worry much about it outside of procs. TC should really be enough to make stuff stick to you as the lone tank (also remember it puts Deep Wounds on everything it hits, so you'll want to apply TC sooner than later!)

leap into a pack, thunder clap, and shockwave/dragon roar. ezpz. doing that in quick succession should make stuff stick to you just fine. additionally, chain-pull packs so that your Vengeance stacks don't wear off - should make your TC hit harder and relieve you from having to wait on longer-CD abilities (dragon roar, heroic leap, etc).
Edited by Rickotron on 10/19/2012 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
10/19/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Rickotron
try switching talents from Shockwave to Dragon Roar
Unless it's (finally) been fixed, Dragon Roar doesn't generate threat.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
oh, dear. ...

jesse...

JESSE...

NOW USE DRAGON ROAR
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
if you've been tanking since the old days, then this shouldn't be that difficult.

tabbing through mobs is your friend. seriously. thunderclap and cleave alone don't generate a ton of aggro, but shield slam and revenge sure do. just hit tab a couple times, make sure you're hitting those abilities on CD, and you're golden.

BTW i find shockwave to be pretty invaluable for tanking overall. the stun keeps the mobs right where i want them, and it helps with gaining snap aggro if i need it. etc.

then again, i've only played this character really the last two expansions. i played a druid tank in BC...lulzy times.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/20/2012 02:44 AMPosted by Shirryn
BTW i find shockwave to be pretty invaluable for tanking overall. the stun keeps the mobs right where i want them, and it helps with gaining snap aggro if i need it. etc.

I too can't imagine aoe tanking without Shockwave. I find it extremely trying to deal with bosses like General Pa'valak, Raigonn, and Commander Vo'jak with their streaming adds without it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
How do warrior tanks deal with the trash before Hoptallus? Found it to be just awful when I tried to tank on my warrior at 85, compared to other tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/21/2012 01:43 AMPosted by Kamine
How do warrior tanks deal with the trash before Hoptallus? Found it to be just awful when I tried to tank on my warrior at 85, compared to other tanks.

Ignore the small bunnies. Hit the big ones with Shield Slam or something. Tclap whenever it seems like a good idea. Blitz through it like your !@# is on fire.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
10/21/2012 01:43 AMPosted by Kamine

Ignore it.

Run to the end and drop mocking banner at the boss
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Tclap is enough to hold threat through everything now, unless someones in a threat stance, or you're not.
Reply Quote
24 Blood Elf Warlock
1. Thunder clap
2. Revenge
3. Cleave
4. Tab Target
a. I must apologize on behalf on Blizz here. You might accidentally tab target to a monster in a completely different instance. So if you are tanking Elgon and hit "tab" you might be looking Ragnaros.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/21/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Moonpearl
You might accidentally tab target to a monster in a completely different instance. So if you are tanking Elgon and hit "tab" you might be looking Ragnaros.

Hahaha!!

So true!

I miss my macro I had back in I don't remember which Xpac that was only tabbing mobs under 5 yards!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/21/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Zylian
You might accidentally tab target to a monster in a completely different instance. So if you are tanking Elgon and hit "tab" you might be looking Ragnaros.

Hahaha!!

So true!

I miss my macro I had back in I don't remember which Xpac that was only tabbing mobs under 5 yards!

Ugh, tell me about it. Tab targeting the mob that's 20 yards away INSTEAD OF THE ONE BEATING ON MY FACE is really annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
How about capping Hit & Expertise? Also, I noticed you were missing some enchants.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I gave up on Tab targeting because it's so useless. Easier by far to have mouse-over macros.

Kinda sad to have basic functionality broken and have to resort to something a layman doesn't normally have to do. (I'm fine with macros, of course, but I feel bad for newer tanks).
Reply Quote
Hey, I know this thread is pretty old but I just started up on MoP last week and I wanted to add that "Warrior tanking f**kin sux now!!"

This is the biggest dissapointment after returning from my 1 year break. I tank on my druid now and pickup 20 aoe mobs in a few seconds without any of them losing agro.

I mean seriously... The time I have to wait to pop a clap is SO annoying.

Thunderclap - 6 second CD (feels like a lifetime when your rogue is dying)
Shockwave - 20 second CD

Druid swipe - 3 second CD (3 SECONDS WTF!! IT HITS EVERYTHING!!!)
Druid thrash - 6 second CD
Plus mangle/maul which can hit multiple targets.................

I am totally pissed at how boring warrior tanking is now. We have to wait 6 seconds to hit clap and shockwave 20 seconds which are the only real skills that will hit more than 3 targets... meanwhile devastate to build rage to make a cleave.... WTF.... Cleave spam was more fun, instead of tabbing to 6 different targets to get a sunder off on each one just so you have enough threat/rage to cleave, meanwhile you've lost agro on something elseee ohhh my god rage.... I'm going fury... I'll tank as fury in defensive stance f**k it. :P

RAGE RAGE.... Bring on the trolls... ZzzzZZzzzz
Reply Quote
Oh by the way druid Maul is off GCD so its kinda like a free revenge but you dont have to wait for anything....

Zzzzzz Seriously blizzard... Give me a job.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Maul is their version of cleave heroic strike.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]