What's a warrior gotta do for AoE threat?

Really wish there was something to hit in between tclaps, or if tclap itself just had a shorter cooldown.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Frankly any situation where you would need to TC that much, the adds are almost always tuned to not hit for very much.

Or if it's something like Elegon where the adds actually do hit for a lot, the spawn is controllable enough that you can single target most of them to gain aggro at the start.

Worst comes to worst, Mocking Banner.
Reply Quote
It's just strange going from basically any other class to a warrior, you're limited to a 6s tclap and (if you even picked that talent) a 20s shockwave for AOE threat. Deep Wounds does a great job at keeping TPS up on targets that actually get hit by tclap, but let's face it: sometimes you don't hit everything you want to hit with tclap. Especially if you're moving quickly through a dungeon.

(Revenge is a great tool as well, but you don't control which targets are hit beyond the first. And if you're in a situation where you just used tclap and you missed, chances are revenge isn't even lit up.)
Edited by Mneme on 2/22/2013 4:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
TC is the reason I can't get used to my prot warrior. Sure, AoE threat isn't an issue once you have everything hitting you, but picking up stuff with a 6s TC is a pain compared to how easy every other tank have it.

Stormstout is a good example. As a monk people follow me, as a warrior I follow the healer.
Edited by Litchi on 2/22/2013 4:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
It's just strange going from basically any other class to a warrior, you're limited to a 6s tclap and (if you even picked that talent) a 20s shockwave for AOE threat. Deep Wounds does a great job at keeping TPS up on targets that actually get hit by tclap, but let's face it: sometimes you don't hit everything you want to hit with tclap. Especially if you're moving quickly through a dungeon.

(Revenge is a great tool as well, but you don't control which targets are hit beyond the first. And if you're in a situation where you just used tclap and you missed, chances are revenge isn't even lit up.)
I don't use Revenge other than its single target portion to generate threat anyway, just rage to survive big pulls.

I've never had this problem honestly, not in Wrath, not in Cata, not now. Especially not now, with a 30s Heroic Leap and even 45s baseline; Heroic Leap's AP scaling is pretty bonkers anyway, people seem to really underestimate it as a threat tool.
TC is the reason I can't get used to my prot warrior. Sure, AoE threat isn't an issue once you have everything hitting you, but picking up stuff with a 6s TC is a pain compared to how easy every other tank have it.

Stormstout is a good example. As a monk people follow me, as a warrior I follow the healer.
The only problem I have in Stormstout (which holds true for pretty much every tank except a DK because Gorefiend's Grasp) is the casters mobs that refuse to proc Revenge or group up together if not LoSed.

The thing is, you will see a good Warrior tank pulling in intervals. Like, yeah, I won't be running straight from pack to pack mindlessly... there's always a plan. A great way to see this is watching Warriors try to pull all the mobs on Wind Lord in RF (well, normal and heroic too; RF is just easier since you get much more samples). Some will Charge in and TC, missing over half the mobs and the boss; the smart ones will Heroic Throw one of the far ones, wait one second (doesn't even matter if DPS start at this point), and then Heroic Leap to reposition, with a Charge to follow up to get a few stragglers (along with a quick tab Shield Slam) and THEN a Thunder Clap. It's not simple, you really have to get the hang of it since it's not just HotR there, Cons here, or Keg Smash and SCK there.

I really just don't know how to explain it that well. It's just never been a problem for me this expansion, even with constantly spawning adds (Elegon) or streams of adds (Hoptallus).

The Scholomance room right after Rattlegore/before Lilian Voss is a really good example for a Warrior, I think. I definitely cannot pull that whole room as fast as I can on my Monk, there is absolutely no question - on the other hand that's partially because I have way more mobility possibilities with Roll->Momentum and Clash. There are some exceptions, basically if I don't mess up on an early Thunder Clap.
Edited by Kangamooster on 2/22/2013 7:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I obviously don't mind tank differences, it's flavor after all. But when you factor all the other classes, when it comes to AoE tanking it's like everyone moved forward and Warriors are still in 2.4. I know it feels satisfying when you nail that pull, but you're doing an awful lot of work for comparable results at best.

You can argue everyone else's having it too easy, and I definitely feel that way. Picking/rounding up adds is a zero issue as a monk, specially with Dizzying Haze (AoE ranged slow + 120k threat per "hit"). I even felt like having a prot warrior alt just to actually "practice" tanking outside easy mode. But since the first changes to Swipe/TC on number of targets and direction things started moving towards AoE tanking becoming more trivial, and the game itself was adjusted. Warriors weren't.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I really do not see what people are complaining over in relation to warriors aoe tanking, like there is 1 instance where its a bit annoying and that is stormstout, everything else is ez, sure its a bit more of a button mash than say bear or monk. but meh.

In raids thus far, there hasn't been a fight where aoe tanking multiple smaller adds comes into play, the closest is windlord, and even then after the firs couple of seconds your pretty much done. Its just trash and 5 mans, there is always another tank you can leech off for trash and 5 mans pose no threat if you dont kenyan the instance.

I think you should have a big ol spoon of concrete and harden teh fluk up :p
Edited by Cinder on 2/22/2013 8:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
I obviously don't mind tank differences, it's flavor after all. But when you factor all the other classes, when it comes to AoE tanking it's like everyone moved forward and Warriors are still in 2.4. I know it feels satisfying when you nail that pull, but you're doing an awful lot of work for comparable results at best.

You can argue everyone else's having it too easy, and I definitely feel that way. Picking/rounding up adds is a zero issue as a monk, specially with Dizzying Haze (AoE ranged slow + 120k threat per "hit"). I even felt like having a prot warrior alt just to actually "practice" tanking outside easy mode. But since the first changes to Swipe/TC on number of targets and direction things started moving towards AoE tanking becoming more trivial, and the game itself was adjusted. Warriors weren't.
I seriously don't think that at all.

I work pretty hard on my Monk to get a perfect Roll->Clash combo going, I don't just go LOLOLSPINNINGEVERYWHERE like a moron to pull. I CAN, but you are kind of bad if you do.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/22/2013 08:12 AMPosted by Kangamooster
I don't just go

trolling on level 1 alts

like a moron

I CAN

but you are kind of bad if you do
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
02/22/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Cinder
trolling on level 1 alts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

EDIT: Also, this is why someone was saying that that glyph of Thunder Clap that increases its CD and damage should be reversed. Make it halve the CD and the damage instead.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Edited by Celmith on 2/22/2013 9:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
The only reason someone posts on a lvl 1 alt is to not directly associate themself with something, or to troll, otherwise someone would post on a character they actually leveled.

Therefore anything you post as a level one with things like

LOLOLSPINNINGEVERYWHERE like a moron to pull. I CAN, but you are kind of bad if you do.

is someone doing a strong impression of a potato
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Truth. Because no one, ever, has been banned from a Blizzard forum.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
02/22/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Thebusiness
Truth. Because no one, ever, has been banned from a Blizzard forum.
Somewhere, I can hear millions of Mnemoniqs yelling in the wind
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok I have a question, I see some wars go with SW and some with DR. Is the difference great between the two for threat, or does it not matter. Just what the war is comfortable with?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Last I heard the DR threat issue was fixed, so I think it comes down to preference. I'm old school, plus I like the thought of shorter cooldown buttons so I can use them more/there when I need them, so I go with Shockwave.

It might have to deal with content, too. I mostly run 5mans and LFR, but in a raiding guild with a more 'boss-oriented' spec, I can see Dragon Roar being taken.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
02/22/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Tivana
Ok I have a question, I see some wars go with SW and some with DR. Is the difference great between the two for threat, or does it not matter. Just what the war is comfortable with?

ATM I'm preferring DR
There is more of a thought process on when to use it rather
than a " rotational " SW
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah I have SW been used to it for a long time, but am thinking about trying DR when I log in. I am still doing something wrong I too have a problem with snap agro sometimes. But I mainly see it from ww monks hunters with multi shot and idk what the lock is doing but before I can TC the mobs have run over there ---->

Not always just sometimes, generally I try to stay ahead of the dps because trigger happy
Reply Quote
It IS a little more difficult to pick up packs of mobs on my warrior than my druid. And I bet the warrior will not be able to pull the same party trick DPS on wind lord as I do on my druid. (lol, look ma I'm best DPS and best heals, lol)

But, imo death from above and banners make up for all of that. The mobility of the warrior is just so much fun! So, whine a little about aoe pick up, but remember your warrior is still really really fun to play.

/thunderclap
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
But, imo death from above and banners make up for all of that. The mobility of the warrior is just so much fun! So, whine a little about aoe pick up, but remember your warrior is still really really fun to play.

/thunderclap

This, I have tons of fun on the war, and if I had friends that play on alliance side he would be my main. Alas the people I know hate alliance. Mobility , god I love it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Warriors suck at the dreaded "Streaming adds"

more at 11.

Except now they have to be streaming for more than 30 seconds
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/22/2013 10:43 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]