What's a warrior gotta do for AoE threat?

90 Undead Warrior
Heroic leap+Thunderclap -> backpeddle so they all line up infront of you ->shockwave -> ride your revenge key and thunderclap as much as you can.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
02/22/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Cinder
The only reason someone posts on a lvl 1 alt is to not directly associate themself with something, or to troll, otherwise someone would post on a character they actually leveled.
Because nobody ever thinks "Hey, you know what's more fun than posting on a level 90? Posting on this character."

Y'know how people sometimes do that whole "fun" thing? And how not every forum post needs to be backed up by full clears of heroic raids and highly rated pvp? And how attacking someone's armory instead of their post is still the very definition of an ad hominem fallacy?
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Blizzard tried a few variations of Thunder Clap in the Cataclysm beta. One removed the cooldown and most of Thunder Clap's damage. Another added a lingering void zone like Consecrate. Neither felt right, and the amusing part is that after reverting mechanics Blizzard left Thunder Clap for a while still hitting for peanuts.

I think the problem is tanks whose AoE pickups are too easy. It's fun to have to combine Thunder Clap, Revenge, Cleave, Shockwave/Dragon Roar and even tab-targeted Shield Slam for aggro on multiple targets.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/22/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Tivana
Ok I have a question, I see some wars go with SW and some with DR. Is the difference great between the two for threat, or does it not matter. Just what the war is comfortable with?

Shockwave is a STUN. This means that while the targets are stunned they are not doing any damage. That's the best kind of damage you mitigation you can get: zero damage. To boot, it does AoE damage and generates threat -- not to mention that you pound on the mobs while they're stunned and generate rage to pop your mitigation when come un-stunned.

Imnsho SW is hands down the best for controlling trash and that's why I think it's preferable to DR in most situations

02/22/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Dropknee
Heroic leap+Thunderclap -> backpeddle so they all line up infront of you ->shockwave -> ride your revenge key and thunderclap as much as you can.

^^ This.
Edited by Aamish on 2/23/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I do feel sorry for you warriors, you're in the same boat as resto druids in that "everyone else" has better aoe tools.

Pallies: 4.5 sec/9 sec dot/9 sec
Druids: 3 sec/6 sec
Monks: 8 sec/20 energy/2 chi/no cd
DKs: 15 sec/8.3 sec rune cd dot
Warriors: 6 sec/20 sec talent

Blizzard is doing a terrible job of balance not because it doesn't give everybody everything, but it ends up "screwing over 1 class" too often. It's like every healer currently has a spammable no cd aoe heal, except druids. Or every range can dps on the move except spriest (boomkins might have to go cat to do it but they should quit whining bout it!)

No tank should have to wait more than 3 seconds for an aoe move to be available, giving Prot a Whirlwind move doing 55% dmg on a 4 sec cd would not make them overpowered.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
In regards to Wind Lord (and similar pulls) - try swapping to Vigilance with a mouseover taunt macro. It's half the work and, even with taunt DR, you have plenty of time to hit every single mob with a single Tclap/DR combo (granted you'll be best off hitting the first few that get to you with Rev/SS). It's also back up by the time the first wave of reinforcements lands.

Also, and this may only be an option to those that overgear the content, but I think that Bladestorm goes overlooked as a viable option in many scenarios. I've spiked upwards of 1.2 million DPS on Wind Lord with Bloodbath+Bladestorm. It's also fun to pull entire rooms in 5mans and Bladestorm the entire thing down.

But to answer OP's question a little more specifically, timing and positioning of your Tclaps is key -- even if it means sitting on it an extra second or two (but be careful not to delay it to the point that you could've squeezed in an extra). You also need to realize when it's more beneficial to Rev/Cleave mobs so that Tclap will be up when you really need it (think Brewery). And as many have said, learning to utilize Leap as a snap-threat tool is also necessary.

I do agree that Warrior AoE is a little less intuitive than what's available to other tanks, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's weaker. It just takes a little practice, foresight, and the ability to fully utilize everything that's available to you -- this often means taking niche talents that aren't particularly useful in all situations.

EDIT: I also I agree that dealing with streaming adds can sometimes be a little bit of a hassle. As I said before you have to know when to single target things and when to commit to putting your Tclap on cooldown. In the case of Elegon, again I take Vigilance and rely on that and taunt banner to get me through the last bit of the pillar phase.
Edited by Wazzu on 2/25/2013 7:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 04:27 AMPosted by Sarella
Warriors: 6 sec/20 sec talent

You forgot Revenge and Cleave and our good friend [Tab]. In most situations where AoE is important, mitigation takes a back seat. In the few situations where you do need strong AoE and Active Mitigation combined you get Revenge spam.

Warriors are not suffering for AoE. They do it differently, and might have to press an extra button or two, but it's definitely not the issue it was in Wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I have no problem with AoE threat against dps. But against other tanks its become an issue as gear has scaled. I dont think our threat generation scales as well as other tank classes. Even with reck/BB/HL/TC/SW I struggle to get threat off of other tanks who have dropped a passive aoe dot and then gone to town. Our bloodbath/tc bleed dont' hold a candle to keg smash or DD/blood boil. And we need more GCD's to make it work.

I used to have no problems with this except against some exceptional dk's and monks. Now its a struggle to get 2-3 mobs in a pack of 10 (like the first few trash packs in msv).

On the flip side I've had 1 dog on stonedogs letting the other tank get 2 of them. Over time I can still out-threat most tanks and rip one of the dogs off them. A little vengeance goes a long way in our single target threat generation. But our aoe snap threat at the beginning of pulls sucks. It takes too many gcd's to get close to the threat generation other tanks do with just 2 gcd's.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The only problem I have with my warrior is getting 3 sunders up before the mob dies. Or getting 3 sunders up on 6 mobs. Seriously, blizz should make it like the druid thing where 1 devastate puts up 3 sunders.

That's ok though, I went arms instead!!
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
People still pay attention to the amount of sunders?

The stacks are rather obsolete, I don't know why it isn't just a flat 12% armor debuff instead of a stacking 4% one. I understand why FFF gets all 3 at once (boy, the cd was a pain) but... oh well, whatever.
I dont think our threat generation scales as well as other tank classes.
No, Protection Warriors have some of the highest AoE DPS of all five tank specs. If you want to complain about lower relative DPS with high Vengeance, go look at Blood DKs in AoE.
02/25/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Khahan
But our aoe snap threat at the beginning of pulls sucks. It takes too many gcd's to get close to the threat generation other tanks do with just 2 gcd's.
Takes me 2 GCDs to solidify aggro 100% on a H Wind Lord pull - and while I wish DPS would wait 3 seconds, they don't. So nope our aoe snap threat is pretty amazing.
Edited by Kangamooster on 2/25/2013 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
How to warrior AoE threat:
1: Hit Bloodbath
2: Hit Dragon Roar
3: Do whatever, because those mobs aren't going anywhere.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I am levelling a warrior as prot currently (level 72 now) and there are three classes where I find I have trouble holding threat against the dps, usually just after I charge > thunderclap.

1: Warlocks (demonology?) Whatever that green streamy thing is (life siphon?) gets them off me like crazy... And just when my thunderclap/revenge CDs come up... aoe knockback in three or four directions... at this point I just let the warlock tank since he's got his tanking pet out and demon form anyway. I'll go get the next pack since you've got this one...

2: Priests (shadow) invariably they pick the wrong target to be the first one they DoT up.... and then since mobs are coming it's time to root them all spread out or fear to send them running everywhere.

3: Hunter pets... now these I don't really mind at this level... The mob stays right here with me and either your pet will die and I'll have aggro back, or your pet will live and no harm is done.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Not sure whats the problem..anything less then 5 mobs..leap,tc devestate..anything over 5 mobs..do the same and also drop a mocking banner..by the time the banner expires all the mobs should be stuck on you..and the 5 plus mobs doesn't happen often enough where you'll need banner before it resets again..
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/22/2013 08:33 PMPosted by Celmith
Y'know how people sometimes do that whole "fun" thing? And how not every forum post needs to be backed up by full clears of heroic raids and highly rated pvp? And how attacking someone's armory instead of their post is still the very definition of an ad hominem fallacy?

Not sure how i attack their armory, if they don't have one but ok son, interesting point, although slightly reminiscent of a certain vegetable.

When someone posts in caps ridiculing a previous poster on level 1 character, that is trolling. But ok you sit on you sloppy casual chair, with all the other scrubs on this forum
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 08:58 AMPosted by Cinder
But ok you sit on you sloppy casual chair, with all the other scrubs on this forum

Are you seriously going to make a comment like that while sporting a L7 Elementium Geode, 2 common-quality-though-rare pets, and 149 wasted points in your reforging?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Asterik that with a "Unless you're tanking alongside a Brewmaster"

KEG SMASH TOO STRONG ._.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Our warrior tank seems to always get adds before me.

IMO warrior AoE pickup is stronger than paladin AoE pickup. Heroic Leap + TC + Shockwave is a lot more burst than run in, HotR, Consecrate, Holy Wrath. Avenger's Shield is good ,but hits only 3 targets. In situations with 15 targets and stuff like that (ie: trash before Stone Guards), the warrior seems to get it all on him and I can't get any on me.

Monks on the other hand are ridiculous. Keg Smash and Dizzying Haze are so outrageously OP.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk

Asterik that with a "Unless you're tanking alongside a Brewmaster"

KEG SMASH TOO STRONG ._.

I couldn't hear you over my breath of fire. ;P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I like to pretend I'm a composer. I put my paws in the air, swish them around and bring them down and suddently EVERYTHING BLEEDS
Edited by Slashlove on 2/26/2013 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]