WHY does Blizzard hate Mages in MoP?

90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm at a loss to understand why mages are constantly being de-powered and nerfed to the point of almost unplayability.

As it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE. On average, my spells do 30k damage per hit; most level 90 mobs have upwards of 400,000 hit points; so it takes roughly 13 spell casts to best a level 90 mob. I find it difficult to believe that this is considered acceptable.

Has Blizzard forgotten that mages wear CLOTH armor? Have they forgotten that mages are not meant to absorb damage?

And now, with patch 5.1, they propose to REDUCE the damage that my spells do, REDUCE the damage that my (meager) protective spells absorb, while INCREASING the cost of my spells.

If Blizzard wants to do away with a class, they should have the guts to just do it, and not whittle away at it until no one wants to play the class anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I wouldn't say they hate the class. but yeah it sucks. I have no idea how to play as frost but Im gonna give it a try if fire doesn't work out after the patch.
what else can you do? Try to play the best you can and if it isn't good enough then play another class I guess. I'm sad about the pyro. I finally started seeing good numbers in raids and now I have to start all over again (maybe).
Reply Quote
Sigh.

They don't hate mages or any class. When Blizzard screws up, it's because they screw up. They may be lazy, or misguided, or clueless, but hate never comes into it. It's not a conspiracy, it's stupidity.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I think you're exaggerating. It is no longer acceptable to frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt things to death. Learn to set up combos, its kind of a big deal for our class since FOREVER.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
If you are having that much issue with control and soloing mobs at lvl 90, it may very well be a learn to play issue. MoP has introduced so many spells to the class. I suggest you may want to research keybindings.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
10/23/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Vaasch
As it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE

If this is the case then you are doing something wrong and it has zero to do with the class.

For multiple pulls you have IB, Nova, DB and MI just to list a few. AoE you have FS, which I personally seldom use, and AE. 10sec cooldown on Evo to be able to replenish health. Dot spreading is a joke to do. The list goes on and on.

And this is coming from a Fire mage. As Frost you have even more lol.
Edited by Peppeppe on 10/23/2012 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Sigh.

They don't hate mages or any class. When Blizzard screws up, it's because they screw up. They may be lazy, or misguided, or clueless, but hate never comes into it. It's not a conspiracy, it's stupidity.

This. They just have a trial-and-error approach right now.

The only conspiracy I can imagine is Blizzard monitors classes that have too high of populations so they actively make them less fun to more evenly distribute things.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I honestly hope you're joking. Mages have tonnes of survivability, the potential to global someone in a deep freeze, amazing sustained damage and crowd control. Mages, warriors and hunters are the most over-powered classes in the game at the moment and getting a nerf for once in 8 years doesn't mean blizzard hates you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'm at a loss to understand why mages are constantly being de-powered and nerfed to the point of almost unplayability.

As it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE. On average, my spells do 30k damage per hit; most level 90 mobs have upwards of 400,000 hit points; so it takes roughly 13 spell casts to best a level 90 mob. I find it difficult to believe that this is considered acceptable.

Has Blizzard forgotten that mages wear CLOTH armor? Have they forgotten that mages are not meant to absorb damage?

And now, with patch 5.1, they propose to REDUCE the damage that my spells do, REDUCE the damage that my (meager) protective spells absorb, while INCREASING the cost of my spells.

If Blizzard wants to do away with a class, they should have the guts to just do it, and not whittle away at it until no one wants to play the class anymore.

Try rogue in MoP... Abysmal dmg out of stealth/dance. Most other classes have our utility now (pallys have blind, druids and priests have vanish on 1/6 of our CD (like wtf), Hunters have a stealth(camo) mages have a type of stealth in invis, and feral druids have shadowstep...).

Add to this they all do more damage then us. Your not being whittled down, you still have insane amounts of burst (Frost deepfreeze-shatter) for pvp, and pve with a new rotation ill bet you will still top dps charts.
Mages arent supposed to be able to tank with ice barrier, thats why you wear cloth to begin with. And even then you have survivalbility (Block).
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
After the fifth LFR, with level 468 gear, I rarely even get in the top half of dps, and I rarely see more than one mage in the top half. DK's, Shamans, hunters are eating our lunch. This, after usually being in the top 3 in DS. Mages are way down. I'm not sure why, but if your feet are wet and you're looking at the pyramids....you're in DENIAL. I think we just have to live with it
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/23/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Slappedup
I honestly hope you're joking. Mages have tonnes of survivability, the potential to global someone in a deep freeze, amazing sustained damage and crowd control. Mages, warriors and hunters are the most over-powered classes in the game at the moment and getting a nerf for once in 8 years doesn't mean blizzard hates you.

Let us police our own here.

and to you mr. rogue, please go whine about rogues and mages in your own forums. Ice barrier is not tanking, and invisbility is not stealth. It is also not a vanish. You should just be glad you aren't getting frozen on the opener from a mage's ice armor anymore.
Edited by Crystalah on 10/23/2012 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
In my own experience, mage damage is fine. I'm geared up pretty well for this stage in the game (thoughy mostly from lucky Sha and raid finder drops -- hardly the most elite guy in the books) and I've been doing many of my dailies by pulling multiple mobs at once and waiting for living bomb ticks to accrue.

In raids and dungeons, I'm sometimes in the top of my team in damage output, and other times I'm a bit lower. It depends a lot on whether I'm doing a good job of moving when I'm supposed to, keeping myself alive without taxing healers, and the situations. Obviously, some boss fights are going to help us for damage more than others.

I don't feel overpowered, but I haven't felt particularly underpowered, either. We still seem to be in a good zone where a good player with any DPS class is better than a bad or mediocre player from any other class, and I suppose that's fine.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
10/23/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Malmsey
After the fifth LFR, with level 468 gear, I rarely even get in the top half of dps, and I rarely see more than one mage in the top half. DK's, Shamans, hunters are eating our lunch. This, after usually being in the top 3 in DS. Mages are way down. I'm not sure why, but if your feet are wet and you're looking at the pyramids....you're in DENIAL. I think we just have to live with it

Then you're doing something wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
10/23/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Peppeppe

Then you're doing something wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/23/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Slatra
If you are having that much issue with control and soloing mobs at lvl 90, it may very well be a learn to play issue. MoP has introduced so many spells to the class. I suggest you may want to research keybindings.

Not a "learn to play" issue. I've been playing since original WoW. Have been hardcore Arcane for that entire time, until now when I have to play Frost simply to survive.

Truth be told, I'd much rather play Arcane; it's what I enjoy. But Arcane has lackluster damage and poor survivability; at least with Frost I can somewhat control mobs and have a pet to assist.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
they hated us since vanilla what u talking about lol. try 6sec CD on pyro back in the days
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
10/23/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Slappedup

People say this word "global" I do not think it means what they think it means. Mages cannot "global" anyone that isn't already about to die.

Thanks,
Mage
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
10/23/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Pandaclysm

People say this word "global" I do not think it means what they think it means. Mages cannot "global" anyone that isn't already about to die.

Thanks,
Mage

I global'd a level 30 the other day.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]