WHY does Blizzard hate Mages in MoP?

90 Draenei Mage
This is a pretty ridiculous thread.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I know, bads complaining about nerfs they don't understand... seems to be the theme of this whole game since wrath
Edited by Rasputus on 10/23/2012 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
coz GC dun play Mage anymore?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
WHY does Blizzard hate Mages in MoP?

Because you were gods all throughout Cata?
Reply Quote
35 Troll Monk
MAGE is the class that blizzard hates?
MAGE is the class that is borderline unplayable?

Did I accidentally fall into some kind of dimensional rift?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Actually, the ice barrier change only effects leveling mages in low end gear. Pretty much anyone with 5 to 6 panda epics have an absorbtion of 100k or more in pve gear. a 25 percent reduction will not matter much. They still should be able to burst big mobs down.

Although any mage comeing into pandaria with an ilv of 372 is going to have to bring some potions and eat more. cause your shield is comeing down 2 s after you take on one mob.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
All I'd say is that after several LFR's I see myself and maybe one other mage in the top 12 of the meter the last 3 weeks, though mage top end numbers on WOL are quite competitive (and why they are getting the pyro nerf) if not dominant, it does seem there are very few players doing well with the class now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/24/2012 12:28 AMPosted by Knullvai
All I'd say is that after several LFR's I see myself and maybe one other mage in the top 12 of the meter the last 3 weeks, though mage top end numbers on WOL are quite competitive (and why they are getting the pyro nerf) if not dominant, it does seem there are very few players doing well with the class now.

I don't know dude. I do pretty well on my mage. But that probably has more to do with what I do mostly being BGs.

Ignite stacking isn't a new thing. It's something blizzard has known about for years. Ignite stacking being OP isn't new either. Putting an arbitrary cd in the mix to muck up the works on the new heating up mechanic is a bad answer that makes the whole Fire spec suffer in all aspects of the game. If ignite stacking is really the issue Fire mastery sounds like the place to start not pyro nerfs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
these tears.....they.....feed......me OMNOMNOMNOM MAGES
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Never play arcane, but, I have zero problems taking down a level 90 mob or named mob on my mage. And, my gear sucks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
.....I'm sorry, what? As a fire mage I can easily pull 3 mobs and take them down before they get through my shield. Learn to use your CC's.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/23/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Derìk
Although any mage comeing into pandaria with an ilv of 372 is going to have to bring some potions and eat more. cause your shield is comeing down 2 s after you take on one mob.

I got a character restore on this guy after deleting him and his gear three months into Cataclysm. I went into Pandaria with literally nothing but the green staff you get from the first quest on the Skybreaker. I quested from the beginning up until I could buy a set of 372 gear from the Jinyu village pretty much naked, aside from the couple quest greens you get. I didn't even use Ice Barrier, opting to try Temporal Shield instead.

This isn't an elitist, I'm-So-Awesome response. Just an idea of what's actually possible and what makes WoW a real "hard time." If an iLvl 372 level 85 Mage has an issue because of a 25% nerf to the scaling of Ice Barrier, I would advise them leaving the game.
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Mage
Could one of the "learn to play" folks post a link to a guide? I would desperately like to learn to play; of all my characters, this is the one that just get pummeled. It's been much (MUCH) easier to level my Discipline Priest than my mage, post-MoP (pre-MoP, not so much a problem -- not sure what happened).

I've read the Icy Veins guide and have tried to use their rotations, but I still get pretty roughed up by ordinary mobs. Rare mobs or Elite creatures? Forget it -- I'll be hoofing it back to my corpse.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 12:45 AMPosted by Omen
these tears.....they.....feed......me OMNOMNOMNOM MAGES

Major Glyphs

Glyph of Gag Order no longer works against players.

It begins.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
The main problems are twofold:

1) Blizzard tends to let PVP wag the PVE dog; and
2) Blizzard has a terrible tendency to overcorrect---they see mages doing 10% more damage than they'd like, so they nerf them 25% (numbers just hypotheticals, not real examples).

But those issues apply to everyone, not just mages.
Edited by Zemocrates on 10/24/2012 9:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
ive been mass pulling level 90 mobs since i hit level 90. i still do it and have pretty crap gear. if you can only kill one at a time you're doing something very wrong.

gather up 5+ mobs, ice block so theyre all on you (not necessary but convenient), blink, water elemental nova, flame strike, frost bomb, frozen orb, ice lance spam, nova, flame strike + blizzard lol

gg tons of 90 mobs.

so much CC, so much maneuverability, so much survivability.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I am sorry, but I just don't understand how people think the mage class is bad. I am constantly on top of the dps charts. Perhaps single target, mages might be slightly lower than some random melee class but thats to be expected because of cast times. I am fresh lvl 90 just geared to get into heroics and on aoe mobs its nothing for me to be hitting 107k dps as frost. If you play your combos right and work the procs in your favor you should never have a problem soloing 3-4 mobs at a time.
Reply Quote
Honestly looking at these changes means nothing. The Pyroblast is the only sad change. Meanwhile everything else can be counters...

-Mage Armor reduced to 25%(-10), glyph it (+10).
-DF reduced to 4(-1) seconds, glyph it (-1.5).
-Frost Bomb explode increased to 6(+1) seconds, glyph it (on demand).
-Ice Barrier, big deal. Full Dread to full Male is +3066 Intellect. You'll make it back up in no time.
-Ring of Frost, hurts a bit. But honestly, I gotta think people aren't spamming it the second it's off CD... Seems like it would be counter-productive depending on your current situation (I know I'm not using it on CD).
-Pyroblast, yeah okay. I don't play Fire for PVP or PVE. Guess they had to give other classes something to make us appear less powerful.

And I think that's just it. Bliz probably saw the community raging after they roll out BM/Arms nerfs and figured, damn we better do something to mages or we'll have a riot on our hands. I say GG Blizz for fooling those less intelligent classes into think you did some serious dmg to us. Will make their tears all the sweeter after 5.1 lands...
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Mage
Why do they hate mages? Is that a joke?
Reply Quote
Is it a joke that you bumped a two week dead thread just to say that?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]