WHY does Blizzard hate Mages in MoP?

100 Draenei Mage
IAs it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE. On average, my spells do 30k damage per hit; most level 90 mobs have upwards of 400,000 hit points; so it takes roughly 13 spell casts to best a level 90 mob. I find it difficult to believe that this is considered acceptable.

Has Blizzard forgotten that mages wear CLOTH armor? Have they forgotten that mages are not meant to absorb damage?

I counted 11 spell casts to take down 1 target, waiting on procs, but my gear is slightly ahead of yours at about 476. That's spells which take a few seconds to cast too. An eternity when you're a class that wants to destroy targets at range before they ever get the chance to lay hands on you. Sometimes I get proc's and can burst targets down in 3 or 4 hits. The PvE game feels really good when that happens, but its not often enough and involves the use of cool downs.

What helps is Ice Barrier - it absorbs most damage incoming from 1 mob at a time. In MoP, I have to expect that melee targets will hit me for 30 seconds or longer.

What drives me is when I try to kite but pull additional mobs. There's been many times that I have to escape the fight since I don't cause enough damage to finish them before they'll finish me. Some areas in the dailies are dense, and if there's nobody around to pull the additional mobs I abandon the quest.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I'm at a loss to understand why mages are constantly being de-powered and nerfed to the point of almost unplayability.

As it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE. On average, my spells do 30k damage per hit; most level 90 mobs have upwards of 400,000 hit points; so it takes roughly 13 spell casts to best a level 90 mob. I find it difficult to believe that this is considered acceptable.

Has Blizzard forgotten that mages wear CLOTH armor? Have they forgotten that mages are not meant to absorb damage?

And now, with patch 5.1, they propose to REDUCE the damage that my spells do, REDUCE the damage that my (meager) protective spells absorb, while INCREASING the cost of my spells.

If Blizzard wants to do away with a class, they should have the guts to just do it, and not whittle away at it until no one wants to play the class anymore.

No offense intended, but if you're having problems with level 90 PvE mobs.... the problem isn't the class. It's the player. I was routinely killing Mogu by myself in groups of 2-3 to start with with my golden lotus dailies when I was in greens. Now I kill them in groups of 5-6 at a time.
Edited by Cyrassus on 11/7/2012 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I've started seeing 250k Pyro Crits with procs up. 400k hp? Buh-bye.

50% + 100% damage buff, but: "[18:44:08.246] Mageski Pyroblast Elegon *639239*" Always giggle inducing.
Edited by Mageski on 11/7/2012 1:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
IAs it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE. On average, my spells do 30k damage per hit; most level 90 mobs have upwards of 400,000 hit points; so it takes roughly 13 spell casts to best a level 90 mob. I find it difficult to believe that this is considered acceptable.

I counted 11 spell casts to take down 1 target, waiting on procs, but my gear is slightly ahead of yours at about 476. That's spells which take a few seconds to cast too. An eternity when you're a class that wants to destroy targets at range before they ever get the chance to lay hands on you. Sometimes I get proc's and can burst targets down in 3 or 4 hits. The PvE game feels really good when that happens, but its not often enough and involves the use of cool downs.

What helps is Ice Barrier - it absorbs most damage incoming from 1 mob at a time. In MoP, I have to expect that melee targets will hit me for 30 seconds or longer.

What drives me is when I try to kite but pull additional mobs. There's been many times that I have to escape the fight since I don't cause enough damage to finish them before they'll finish me. Some areas in the dailies are dense, and if there's nobody around to pull the additional mobs I abandon the quest.

Ditto this and there are just some mobs I simply can't kill like those elite crabs and they are lvl 88! Brought a boomkin friend and we managed to kill one but it was a lengthy chore.
Edited by Magnata on 11/7/2012 1:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This is either a troll or a L2P issue. If you are "nearly useless against 90 mobs," then learn to kite like every other mage. If you are just standing there tanking a bunch of mobs in cloth, of course you're gonna have a bad time. Mages have the best cc in the game, learn to use it.

Also, when you say things like "Ice Barrier is a meager absorb" you lose credibility. Ice Barrier is one of the largest absorbs in the game, and certainly no other DPS spec has access to that much on-demand absorption. Again, if you are standing there letting mobs hit you, you're doing it wrong. Learn to kite.

If it takes you 13 casts to kill a 90 mob, you aren't using shatter. If you use shatter, you should only have to cast 3-4 times at the most to take a 90 mob down.

Finally, you exaggerate all of the nerfs. You say they are "reducing the damage your spells do." In fact, there are no spell damage nerfs coming for Mages, and the only real damage nerf is the increased cd and slightly decreased duration on Deep Freeze. That's it.

As I said before, Ice Barrier is so strong right now that almost nobody uses the other talents in that tier. It obviously needs a nerf, and it is in no way "meager."

Lastly, you say that they are "increasing the cost of your spells." They are only increasing the cost of one spell, spellsteal. Considering how large our mana pool is, this will not even be a problem. In fact, Cartoonz estimated in one of his videos that you will be able to cast SS over 20 times before going OOM in 5.1. If you EVER spam SS that much, you are an awful mage.

After 5.1, we will still be in the top 3 strongest PvP classes in the game. "Nerfed to the point of almost unplayability"? Lol, get out of here troll.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This thread is the EXACT reason Blizzard has dumbed down WoW so much. Bad players that don't know what the !@#$ they're doing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
TAO
I'm at a loss to understand why mages are constantly being de-powered and nerfed to the point of almost unplayability.

As it is, as a mage I'm nearly useless against level 90 mobs in PvE; certainly I stand no chance against more than one opponent at at time in PvE. On average, my spells do 30k damage per hit; most level 90 mobs have upwards of 400,000 hit points; so it takes roughly 13 spell casts to best a level 90 mob. I find it difficult to believe that this is considered acceptable.

And now, with patch 5.1, they propose to REDUCE the damage that my spells do, REDUCE the damage that my (meager) protective spells absorb, while INCREASING the cost of my spells.

If Blizzard wants to do away with a class, they should have the guts to just do it, and not whittle away at it until no one wants to play the class anymore.

Funny, cuz I think mages are damage dealing monsters right now. Quit spending your time QQing on the forums and work on getting some gear. Go fire and see just how fast you can tear through a pack of mobs. This isn't your one-button spam class anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Dumb or a troll. Mages are #1-2 in arena now and they are barely being nerfed 5.1

Troll harder. You're op to hell and back.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Does everybody have to be a fire mage? I mean really...Every mage I've seen so far the expansion has been fire...I thought there was 3 specs. MY GAWD!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
^ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you're funny, I've seen just as many Frost as Fire, if not more.

In regards to people who can't kill stuff, if you're Fire, just roll em down with Frost Bomb -> Frostjaw -> FFB/Fireball (I use FFB for the slow on mobs that last longer than my burst) -> Deep Freeze (glyphed to not be on GCD) -> FFB/Fireball -> Inferno Blast -> Double Pyro. If the target somehow still has 50k+ health, I overkill it with a Combustion. Note, this full rotation is not needed for 95% of mobs I kill. Also, it takes less than 10 seconds to cast all of that, and the longest cooldown I just listed that I use constantly is Deep Freeze, which is 30 seconds. Wasting a few seconds to let Frostjaw come back doesn't bother me, but if Deep Freeze is not up for a kill, I just let it be and use it on the next target.

As Arcane, Frost Bomb -> Arcane Blast -> Arcane Missiles (if it's up, and use both procs if applicable) -> Arcane Barrage -> Blink -> Arcane Blast + Arcane Barrage. If you're in Dread Wastes and Revered or higher with Klaxxi, use the Raining Blood Enhancement, and spam instants/Arcane Missiles. It's laughably easy to kill things.

I wouldn't know how Frost Mages kill things, because when I want a pet, I log onto my Hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
To all you dumb mages who think mages don't do damage, learn how to play your damn class. You think you can't global someone? What would you call a 240k frostbomb + 92k frostfire bolt at the same time as a 32k Impact all in 1 global? GLOBALING. Oh, what's that? You can only do that every 30 seconds? Boohoo...I'm so sad for you.

PvE mages...you for real? I've seen mages doing some of the highest dps of any other class in MoP, as BOTH fire or frost. Learn your game mechanics, don't combust with nothing up, don't spam ice lance, don't spam frostbolt.

/endrant
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I would also like to add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElW6KeywLQ
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Blizzard love me
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The fundamental problem is that typically melee take alot of damage and deal a moderate amount, casters, archers, and the like are supposed to be 'glass cannons'.

Thats fine until the melee people whine that their sword-of-smashy isn't doing as much damage as the wimpy casters - so Blizzard again rebalances the game favoring melee classes to always be near top of dps and take the hits.

Watching every non-cloth wearer stroll through, aggro, and kill 5-10 lvl 90 mobs with ease while we die with 2-3 is fine only if cloth dps is so profound (50% higher) as to be required for any raid. Instead this obsession with melee (and making it worse in MOP) is why I'm considering quitting (after playing since beta).
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
If you can recall TBC, then you know when mages really were frowned upon. They even employed a 10 percent nerf on fireball that wasn't rescinded for over a year of watching mages do 20% less damage than other classes. Even after it was, mages were still 10 percent below other classes in terms of DPS.

Just be glad the person that was in charge is not here anymore. I agree with a lot of other posters in this thread. If there are problems with our class they are no longer intentional or done maliciously as they were in the past.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I agree with the top comment. I used to play a Mage during TBC, Wotlk, now in MoP and The only time I can see is that mages where kicking butt in TBC. We were actually Powerfull as hell and no class stood against us, If i Would have to say is that pally's, Warlocks are op...not mages.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Mages struggle in MoP with a low item level, but once your item level gets higher questing is a breeze. I don't know what spec you play but I can easily take down 10 field mobs as Frost. Pet Freeze + Frozen Orb + Frost Bomb = win.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I keep hearing mages say this, but am I the only one who finds it stupidly easy to kill MoP mobs??

Seriously, when I get a daily or w/e I just pull 10 at once and nuke em all down.

We have CC's and combos for a reason
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]