Issue with caster MoP swords and transmog

100 Blood Elf Warlock
So, I got this fancy sword from being exalted Klaxxi, Amber Saber of Klaxxi'vess. I thought it was pretty sweet since it's a sword and I'd be able to transmog my stash of old caster swords to it.. you know, stuff like The Turning Tide or Tempest of Chaos.

The problem is, the Klaxxi sword is a One Hand sword, not a Main Hand. This makes it quite impossible to transmog the caster sword with an older caster sword.

...So I did a little look-see at the caster sword from Terrace of Endless Spring, and what do you know... Loshan, Terror Incarnate is a One Hand sword.

So, my question for discussion is: Why are these caster weapons not Main Hand? It kind of ruins the concept of transmogging 'similar items'. There are a few One Hand swords I can use, but how can I not want to throw Tempest of Chaos on with my Tier 5 lock set?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I would really like to see some logical reasoning behind this. Or any thoughts at all, such as retroactively making all old Main Hand swords One Hand.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Heh, the tooltip for that item is bugged. Not showing the spell damage. For a second there I was like WTF?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
*sigh*, I was looking forward to going back to using Firesoul when I got that in a couple of days.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/24/2012 05:51 AMPosted by Gorganis
Heh, the tooltip for that item is bugged. Not showing the spell damage. For a second there I was like WTF?

Yeah, that was included in a hotfix, but hasn't been updated on the Armory, yet.
Sept 28th - "An appropriate amount of spell power has been added to Masterwork Forgewire Axe, Amber Spine of Klaxxi'vess, Amber Saber of Klaxxi'vess, and Forgewire Axe"
Reply Quote
Wait, WHAT?

You mean I won't be able to use Volcanospike for my Warlock's epic Fire transmog set?!?!

A WILD DRAGONITE APPEARED, DRAGONITE USED /OUTRAGE

Now I'm REALLY upset. YEARS of one-hand caster weapons, and now they add transmog and then limit mainhand/onehand?

NONSENSE!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/24/2012 06:03 AMPosted by Brykolanas
Now I'm REALLY upset. YEARS of one-hand caster weapons, and now they add transmog and then limit mainhand/onehand?

Well, and here's the thing.. Main Hand fist weapons of yesteryear have been retroactively turned into One Hand fist weapons. Example: Claw of Molten Fury
This makes sense because every fist weapon in MoP is a One Hand weapon. I'm assuming this was the intent with swords, but was never completed.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 06:10 AMPosted by Daggoth

Well, and here's the thing.. Main Hand fist weapons of yesteryear have been retroactively turned into One Hand fist weapons. Example: Claw of Molten Fury
This makes sense because every fist weapon in MoP is a One Hand weapon. I'm assuming this was the intent with swords, but was never completed.

Indeed, and I was NEVER happier with that change than the moment I realized I didn't have to farm BOTH CLAWS off Al'ar.

But leaving the swords as onehand in the face of all the previous expansions' weaponry being mainhand still? I expect this must be a huge oversight and will either herald a coming change in transmog limitations or a retroactive patch fix for all past weaponry.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/24/2012 06:12 AMPosted by Brykolanas
But leaving the swords as onehand in the face of all the previous expansions' weaponry being mainhand still? I expect this must be a huge oversight and will either herald a coming change in transmog limitations or a retroactive patch fix for all past weaponry.

Yeah the retroactive change seems more likely. I wouldn't mind that at all, since it would mean being able to use Main Hand caster weapons on my dual-wielding Death Knight. Spellfire Longswordx2? Yes, please!
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 06:17 AMPosted by Daggoth

Yeah the retroactive change seems more likely. I wouldn't mind that at all, since it would mean being able to use Main Hand caster weapons on my dual-wielding Death Knight. Spellfire Longswordx2? Yes, please!

So many of the caster weapons have gorgeous models and effects, and to be unable to use them on my Rogue makes me a sad backstabbing deceiver.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Good thing I held on to my Argent Avenger.

Heh. Victory.

Back on topic; I believe this was discussed a while back. Weapons with spellpower were designated main-hand for a while because of some classes that could dual wield them to greatly enhance their half-spell casting abilities. Once things were changed to make certain classes only want certain types of weapons; the spell swords were changed back to one handers.

Royally messes up transmog until the rules are laxed a bit more.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Good thing I held on to my Argent Avenger.

Heh. Victory.

Back on topic; I believe this was discussed a while back. Weapons with spellpower were designated main-hand for a while because of some classes that could dual wield them to greatly enhance their half-spell casting abilities. Once things were changed to make certain classes only want certain types of weapons; the spell swords were changed back to one handers.

Royally messes up transmog until the rules are laxed a bit more.

Yeha, I don't believe that dual-wielding spellpower weapons gives anyone a benefit, anymore. Hopefully this can be resolved with 5.1 *hint hint*
Reply Quote
44 Draenei Paladin
The only class who could dual-wield caster weapons was shaman, with that hybrid resto/enh spec which allowed for double earthliving and some massive spellpower stacking, at the expense of giving up some resto spells. Shaman have never been able to use swords, though, so I don't understand they would have messed with sword designations.

Priests, paladins, and druids have never been able to dual-wield, in any spec, and out of them only paladins can use swords.

Maces, daggers, axes, and claws should have been the only ones affected. To be fair, the only spellpower claw I can remember in "recent" history was the one from Naxx 25, and axes only made a reappearance at high levels in Cata. Maces and daggers were by far the most common weapons a resto shaman would use.

It makes me kind of sad to hear that some weapons can't be currently transmogged. I hope they fix it.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Same for tanks and maces.

All the awesome maces are caster "Main Hand", so I can't use them to transmog my mace.

It's sad, but blizzard should really sweep all caster sword/mace/axe/dagger weapons and make them one handed, in this way everyone can transmog everything. It's not like anyone can seriously dual wield caster weapons, I think they nerfed enhancement that tried that a long time ago, and they could disable dual wield for mistweaver.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
...and they could disable dual wield for mistweaver.

Mistweaver cannot dual wield. Kinda like how shaman gain dual wield with Enchancement, a Monk only has dual wield in Brewmaster or Windwalker. No double-dipping for them!
Edited by Daggoth on 10/24/2012 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
10/24/2012 07:53 AMPosted by Daggoth
Mistweaver cannot dual wield. Kinda like how shaman gain dual wield with Enchancement, a Monk only has dual wield in Brewmaster or Windwalker. No double-dipping for them!

So it's even easier. Mark all those weapons as one handed and be done with it. I guess there's still a couple that were designed to be held only in one hand, but the vast majority seems to be models that are perfectly symmetric.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/24/2012 07:56 AMPosted by Regnatia
So it's even easier. Mark all those weapons as one handed and be done with it. I guess there's still a couple that were designed to be held only in one hand, but the vast majority seems to be models that are perfectly symmetric.

Cater to the left-handed community and allow off-hand frills in the opposite hand? Hehe
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I agree about the main/one hand limitation and transmog - it's pretty frustrating. However, you have the 'offhand' type that matters and I'm not entirely sure how they could allow one and not the other given how the items were originally categorized.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/24/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Schmerzen
I agree about the main/one hand limitation and transmog - it's pretty frustrating. However, you have the 'offhand' type that matters and I'm not entirely sure how they could allow one and not the other given how the items were originally categorized.

Old Off-Hand items have not been altered, as I was discussing this with a shaman friend of mine who unfortunately has Fist of Molten Fury and not the former Main Hand version. However, there are no Off-Hand weapons in MoP, as far as I can tell. Only Off-Hand frills for casters, or Off-Hand shields for warrior/pally/shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
10/24/2012 08:05 AMPosted by Daggoth

Old Off-Hand items have not been altered, as I was discussing this with a shaman friend of mine who unfortunately has Fist of Molten Fury and not the former Main Hand version. However, there are no Off-Hand weapons in MoP, as far as I can tell. Only Off-Hand frills for casters, or Off-Hand shields for warrior/pally/shaman.

That's kinda my point - they haven't been changed, but I think in order to overcome the main/one hand issue with transmog they may have to look at how offhands are handled as well (I don't really know, just speculating).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]