Running WoW in 64bit

Hello!

I wasn't sure if this was a General question or technical support but I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of running WoW in 64bit.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
There isn't much difference.

Since this isn't really a technical problem, just a question out of curiosity I guess the Games, Gaming & Hardware section would be decent enough for this question.
Edited by Nevintsha on 10/24/2012 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Pros:
It'll run better on a 64-bit system.

Cons:
The 64-bit client is relatively new. While I've not had any issues with it myself, it's possible it might give a technical glitch here or there that takes them longer to fix.
That said, switching back to the 32-bit client in the event of a problem is just the matter of hitting a checkbox on the launcher, so no real cons at all.

Well, unless you count "will not run on a 32-bit operating system" as a con ;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
There are no cons.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I believe a 64-bit WoW can occupy more space in RAM, which is advantageous if you have enough RAM already.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/24/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Fanahlia
I believe a 64-bit WoW can occupy more space in RAM, which is advantageous if you have enough RAM already.

I've never had WoW using over 2gig, and that's at a fairly high res and lots of addons.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Hello!

I wasn't sure if this was a General question or technical support but I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of running WoW in 64bit.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, WoW's 32 bit client experiences critical faults (and causes the occasional critical stop error) when run in 64 bit Windows 7. I won't comment on Vista (lolVista) or XP x64, as I am not using either nor have I.

WoW can occasionally eat up a LOT of memory. Sometimes, Windows 7 x64 allocates everything in the lower memory register (under 3.5GB), and doesn't utilize anything beyond that amount unless you are running applications that specifically call for that chunk of memory.

In so doing, everything (including your Operating System) is getting crammed in that lower 3.5GB, and that will lead to errors with some applications, especially video games.

I've been running 64-bit Windows 7 since it became available, and have had far FAR too many problems with the 32-bit WoW client. Back then, there wasn't a 64-bit client available.

If you have a 64-bit PC and Operating System, I highly suggest making use of the 64-bit client.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/24/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Belorion
I've never had WoW using over 2gig, and that's at a fairly high res and lots of addons.

Anecdotal evidence, at best.
Reply Quote
OK! I figured it used more RAM but otherwise seems to rum fairly well!

Thanks for the info!!
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Priest
There's a known problem with 64 bit client sometimes causing lockups. If you don't experience that, there's no reason not to use the 64 bit client.

You will get a bit more performance out of it, probably due to the additional general purpose registers that are available in 64 bit.

I, unfortunately, had to revert to 32 bit client due to the abovementioned lockups.
Edited by Mescyn on 10/24/2012 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The game runs in 64bit by default now when using the launcher if it detects a 64bit OS, so there's nothing you have to do to enable it. You can disable this in the launcher through the Game Preferences options, but ultimately the fact that it's the default setting for the game now should speak to our recommendation in its use. Disabling it should really only be as a potential troubleshooting step if game crashes are occurring.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So is this why my VLC crashes everytime WoW is open, cause its 64 bit now? Never had this problem prior to MoP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/24/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Mcbubbles
So is this why my VLC crashes everytime WoW is open, cause its 64 bit now? Never had this problem prior to MoP.

Me too.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
10/24/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Bashiok
but ultimately the fact that it's the default setting for the game now should speak to our recommendation in its use.

WTB video recording in 64 bit mac client, pst.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

The issue has to do with Direct X 11 play, try disabling it to use direct x 9 and see if that solves the issue for you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Unless you're using one of the new RMBPs, you should not be using VLC. Mplayer for OS X and CCCP (which comes with MPC-HC) for Windows are your best options for HD playback.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I've been running 64-bit Windows 7 since it became available, and have had far FAR too many problems with the 32-bit WoW client. Back then, there wasn't a 64-bit client available.

If you have a 64-bit PC and Operating System, I highly suggest making use of the 64-bit client.

Running a 64-bit Win7 gamer and I usually run the 64-bit version of WoW but after patches/hotfixes, it can get unstable and crash repeatedly. I switch back to 32-bit and it settles down.

The 64-bit client is still kinda flaky for me. Your mileage may vary.

Oh yeah, Direct 9 may also have to be used instead of Direct 11.
Edited by Vixie on 10/24/2012 5:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I have noticed no difference in running the game in 64 bit other than it uses more memory.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Bashiok
The game runs in 64bit by default now when using the launcher if it detects a 64bit OS, so there's nothing you have to do to enable it. You can disable this in the launcher through the Game Preferences options, but ultimately the fact that it's the default setting for the game now should speak to our recommendation in its use. Disabling it should really only be as a potential troubleshooting step if game crashes are occurring

Oh ok. I had no idea it chose the [bitage?] for you. I was just looking in the WoW directory and saw a 64bit installer so I thought I'd try it out.

Thanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]