Running WoW in 64bit

85 Human Hunter
FRAPsing in 64 bit was the problem for me and the reason I switched back to 32 bit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm running it under 64 bit Suse linux,

with 64 bit Wine,

with the 64 bit Wow client.

Runs great. I'm in your 64 bit thread, 64 bitting!
Reply Quote
Aside from what the blizz rep said that now the game will auto launch the 64bit client if it detects the proper system and OS for it....why would anyone want to run in 32 bit other wise if they have a 64 bit system and OS?

If you have issues with 64 bit when your system is 64 bit and your OS is too (and you know this for fact)....why would you ignore that and not want to look into why only 32bit apps run well on your 64 bit system. I mean just logically doesn't that peeve you that its like you have this engine capable of running on 8 cylinders but yet you are always stuck in 6 cylinder mode.

Btw...while I have no intention of trying to fully explain this in video game forum, but if you truly understood the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, you'd understand that (at least theoretically) 64bit should ALWAYS be more stable and efficient than a 32 bit app.

Note: That assumes you have proper 64 bit hardware and a proper 64 bit OS and both the 32 bit and 64 apps were properly coded.

Finally , its 2012 -- for those not running a 64 bit OS or computer at this point in time....dude...live in the now....while you are at it get rid of the rotary-phone as well. :)
Edited by Sturn on 10/24/2012 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Belorion
I've never had WoW using over 2gig, and that's at a fairly high res and lots of addons.

That's because the 32-bit client can't use more than 2Gb of user addressable ram, not unless you either a) enable the large-address-aware bit, or b) use the /3GB flag when you're booting.

Technical stuff: Under standard Windows, a normal 32-bit application runs in the 32-bit addressable memory space, with half of that range split between the kernel (the O/S basically) and the other half available to the user-space process (the program). This split means that the process can use a maximum of 2Gb of RAM, irrespective of the actual amount of memory you have in the machine. The /3GB flag changes the split to be 3Gb of user space and 1Gb of kernel space. Note that this is NOT a good thing usually, since 1Gb of kernel space is insufficient if you have a lot of physical RAM due to the system page table entries (google 'free PTEs' for info) required to manage that RAM. Running out of system PTE's results in blue screens, so you usually don't want to use /3GB except under special circumstances. Anyway. Long story short. 32-bit applications can only use up 2Gb of RAM.

Now, the 64-bit WOW client has no such limitations, and can happily use as much memory as it needs. YOU may not have encountered issues, but running at extraordinarily high resolutions (7680x1440) with maximum textures and large draw distances causes the 32-bit client to frequently crash due to being unable to allocate memory. My PC has 16Gb of RAM, but the 32-bit client is constrained to 2Gb of user space, which is easy to blow with those kind of settings. In the WOTLK days, I used to frequently crash when flying from Dalaran to Dragonblight because of the large draw distance blowing all the RAM. I had to turn down my draw distance to stop it.

This doesn't happen with the 64 bit client. And now it's officially supported, so there's little reason NOT to use it.
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
90 Tauren Paladin
10/24/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Negåtive
The best solution to the VLC problem is not watching pirated movies.

Using VLC =/= watching pirated movies.

I moved to VLC from MPC the day I heard of it. Prior to that, I used Winamp. I have never used WMP and never will. It is junk.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/24/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Stormling
That's because the 32-bit client can't use more than 2Gb of user addressable ram

10/24/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Dewan
That is because if you have a 32bit OS, or 32bit WoW client you will never go over 2gb. If the program does go over 2gb somehow, then your client will crash.

No, it is not.

As I was replying to someone's comment on 64bit, I assumed it would be obvious I was referring to the 64 bit client. For whatever reason, on the three systems I play on (mine, my wife's and my laptop), the 64bit WoW client is not particularly memory hungry and rarely tops 2 gigs. I don't assume that to be "typical", as there is a wide variety of real world cases, but I assume it to be a normal case.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Stormling
I've never had WoW using over 2gig, and that's at a fairly high res and lots of addons.

That's because the 32-bit client can't use more than 2Gb of user addressable ram, not unless you either a) enable the large-address-aware bit, or b) use the /3GB flag when you're booting.

/3GB only worked on Windows XP. Vista and 7 sort of tried to do that natively.

WoW was made Large Address Aware before Cataclysm was launched (around the 3.3.5a patch time).
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Utchoomawa
I have noticed no difference in running the game in 64 bit other than it uses more memory.
A crap ton more memory, I'm running 6 gigs and it overloads it sometimes >.>
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I just did a fresh install on a 64 bit Win 7 OS. If the game now defaults to 64bit then why is it installing in 'Program Files (x86)', the 32 bit directory?
Reply Quote
I just installed WOW on a new Win 7 64bit install and have had to "repair" the last 3 nights just to play due to it stalling out. Would using the direct 9 possibly fix this?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/16/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Cleankill
I just installed WOW on a new Win 7 64bit install and have had to "repair" the last 3 nights just to play due to it stalling out. Would using the direct 9 possibly fix this?

I'd recommend hitting up the support site and trying to find an answer there on how to fix your crashes (if that's what they are), and if nothing seems to help contact our support by opening a ticket from the same page. File corruption is generally due to a hardware or driver issue in my experience, but certainly there can be countless causes. http://us.battle.net/support/
Reply Quote
idk, if you're getting constant crashes/errors I'd suspect some type of hardware or RAM failure
OR some type of malware.

On previous computers, having faulty RAM was the main problem I've found with crashing/instability.

I've been running x64 wow (on win7 x64) since it was available and have had only 1 crash that springs to mind - and that I suspect was Flash related.
Reply Quote
20 Undead Warrior
11/23/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Darasisus
I just did a fresh install on a 64 bit Win 7 OS. If the game now defaults to 64bit then why is it installing in 'Program Files (x86)', the 32 bit directory?

It doesn't matter where it installs, when you have the "Use 64bit" box checked, it runs the 64bit executable instead of the 32bit.

It probably installs it there because the installer is 32bit and launcher is 32bit. That or it's just the default location Blizz set it to install to, you can change it before you install.
Edited by Tauramas on 1/17/2013 1:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
11/23/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Darasisus

Yeah I have to agree - this is odd that Blizzard would default a 64-bit operating system installation of wow to "Program Files (x86)". Of course, you CAN change where you put it, and I have read Blue responses suggesting you do so, so it begs to question why it would put it in the wrong directory by default. *shrugs*

Just out of curiosity, does a 64-bit application in "Program Files (x86)" run in 32-bit mode? Or put another way, is anything in that directory restricted to actually running ONLY 32-bit operations?

Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
eZs
Interesting. How does one know which client they have running? Ah. I see my WoW folder is outside of the (X86) folder, so I assume I'm running the 64 bit?
Edited by Zinky on 2/23/2013 5:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Yeah that's what I've always thought, but I could be wrong. I also know that WoW can be placed basically anywhere and launched, so I'm not entirely sure.

One way to check is when you start WoW and you are presented with the launcher interface. If you go to the top left under "Options" and then "Game Preferences" you will see a section labeled "Launch 32-bit Client." If the checkbox is empty, i.e. NOT checked, you are running the 64-bit version.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]