Gara'jal is a smelly doodoohead (with logs)

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Logs recorded by tree: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/tlbowocvl47b0s9b/analyze/hd/source/?enc=wipes&boss=60143

Logs recorded by me: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/x6l0qzq1j5l4z5ll/analyze/hd/source/?enc=wipes&boss=60143

I am unsure how much of our problems are due to low, low healing, poor management of the debuff you get in the spirit realm, tanks taking too much damage and spreading it to the other voodoo dolls, or some combination of all of the above.

It's tough to analyze this fight given the lag of overlap between what happens in the spirit realm and the normal realm, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Most people use two healers for the fight. It is pretty much just a dps check. We three healed it the first week when we were testing doing ten man, and it was woefully boring three healing it.
Edited by Harpoa on 10/19/2012 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Not sure if the dps logs are correct given the spirit realm, but they're pretty low. Healing shouldn't be an issue here, you will probably want to drop your 3rd healer for an extra dps.

Are people dropping quicker than you feel you can heal them up in the normal realm? If so, this is more so a dps issue with the adds. On our wipes when learning the fight, we had way too many adds still alive in the spirit realm which resulted in too much damage to heal up w/voodoos.

Also, once myself or our other healer is sent to the spirit realm, we immediatly leave after healing everyone up so to help relieve the healer soloing in the normal realm.

Once the boss hits his soft enrage and starts beating up the tank, we just cycled tank & raid CDs. On our first attempts I had to assist more with dps as we kept hittting hard enrage.
Edited by Maharei on 10/19/2012 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The tree and I were the only two healers. Looking at the logs our enhance shaman spent a lot of time dropping healing rains.

Are people dropping quicker than you feel you can heal them up in the normal realm? If so, this is more so a dps issue with the adds. On our wipes when learning the fight, we had way too many adds still alive in the spirit realm which resulted in too much damage to heal up w/voodoos.

This I think is the crux of the problem. I am not sure if it's too many spirit realm adds up, or atepa and I just not putting out the healing needed.

How long do your dps stay in the spirit realm? Do they leave after 20 seconds so that you can send a fresh group asap, or do you have them stay down there for 28 seconds?

I normally have 12 or 13 seconds left on my timer when I get the spirit realmers back up to full, should I be doing it faster?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You're fine on time for your healing in the spirit realm. Some groups do it differently, ours has one dps stay down as long as they can and the other (usually some sort of DoT class) DoT up all adds then leaves right away.

I find this fight the easiest to heal of all of the normal encounters, but that's only because our dps tries to stay on top of adds. There is no reason to be conservative with your mana either, unless you're getting really bad luck with being voodooed over and over (in which case, you could probably just get an innervate..etc).

Your tanks could also pop personal CDs for their voodoo as long as it's up for the soft enrage to help with mitigating damage shared.

But like you said, I think the root of the problem is bad dps. In which case you just need to kick their butts a bit.
Edited by Maharei on 10/19/2012 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you guys overhealing in the spirit world to max the buff? We didn't really understand that our first night of attempts, came back the next night and one shot him once we knew to do that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
This is the best post title evar.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
All problems really come down to the Spirit Realm. Kill those adds asap and you will find the boss to be 10x easier.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We only send one DPS down (shadow priest) + the non-Voodoo'ed healer and the DPS stays down in the spirit realm as long as possible. You should be aggressive about overhealing (especially early on) to maximize the Spiritual Innervation your DPS gets. Once they get the momentum going, it's pretty easy to keep the add count low until well past the 4-minute mark.

That said, we normally end our kills with ~100K HPS between two healers, but that includes the 20% burn phase.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/19/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Taymage

Agreed.

Fleurs is also correct. It looks like you're getting killed by adds mostly. Dps also seems a bit low, so make sure you're utilizing the spiritual innervation buff. Overhealing does continue to stack it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You should have people topped off well before 12-13 seconds remaining on the debuff. :l

Use Flash Heals.

Binding Heal, especially, is really useful on this fight. So, hasted Healing Waves, etc. Also - Beacon. Beacon swapping while in the other realm is extremely useful.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So this feels like a good topic to ask about Spiritual Innervation. I get the basic concept: more healing = better. But I've heard people saying that spamming the same heal causes diminishing returns, or that there's a cap on how high the buff can stack. Anyone have a source for more specific information on the buff?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
10/19/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Mooniverse
But I've heard people saying that spamming the same heal causes diminishing returns, or that there's a cap on how high the buff can stack. Anyone have a source for more specific information on the buff?

You can only get them to 22 stacks of the buff. You want to make sure you get them to that asap, then toss a heal on them before they leave so they have it refreshed.
You also want to heal yourself first so you get spiritual innervation as well, which will do amazing things with your mana ;)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Is there a good way to see how many stacks of the buff each person has? I can't ever seem to find it, especially in the heat of battle.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
10/19/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Mooniverse
Is there a good way to see how many stacks of the buff each person has? I can't ever seem to find it, especially in the heat of battle.

Honestly there hasn't been a sure-fire way. We ended up just having people call out how many they have and the healer would deal with it accordingly.

Some people complained that they'd have to mouseover the buff to see how many stacks they have, and that it was not that easy to do. Well, it's true, but you can do it while casting. Really just have to go with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/19/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Taymage

Gotta find some way to stand out from the zomg priests are under/overpowered threads. >.<

You should have people topped off well before 12-13 seconds remaining on the debuff. :l

Use Flash Heals.

I do. I typically beacon myself when we go in there (is the glyph that gets rid of the gcd on beacon worth it?) and then alternate FoL on the two dps in there with me.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
FFS
3 healing this, at least on normal, is fairly simple if you have a disc priest (yeah...this is apparently the fight we are viable on).

Keep your disc priest out the entire time and have your other two healers switch out of spirit realm as needed dependent upon voodoo doll debuff and/or mana issues. PW:S, atonement heals and DI should trivialize the voodoo doll damage taken to other raid members.

Between absorbs and atonement healing that should be sufficient healing and dps to allow both HPS-heavy healers to go into the burn phase fully loaded with time to spare.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0a1694ipba1c8w2l/sum/healingDone/?s=2717&e=3027
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]